Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corrupt usb

• 28-05-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

I have a usb key that seems to have a section that is corrupt. The usb itself is 16gb but when i roll over a certain file it shows 48.2gb as it's size, the folder and file descriptions have weird symbols. I have attached a photo. I was wondering:

What is the cause of this?
    Can the file be recovered?

Thanks

ComplyOrDie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Have you tried scandisk on it ?

Right click on the drive in Windows Explorer, then go to tools --> Check Now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

Have you tried scandisk on it ?

Right click on the drive in Windows Explorer, then go to tools --> Check Now

Thanks for the reply I'm presuming the scandisk is as attached pictures?

When I performed the "Error checking"---> "scan for....bad sectors" it scanned
    However when i tried the "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors " option, I ended up getting the message as seen on attached picture 1. If I click yes, restart computer. Nothing happens when I try to perform the above again I get the same response.

As for picture 3 when i try to defragment the usb i get the following message for both analyse and defragment option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Okay, the first issue is a silly one in Windows.

So, when you open windows explorer, and right click on your USB drive and click on "Properties" it will open a new window.

At this stage, close the original windows explorer window, but keep the new window.

THEN, click on tools and the button "Check Now".

The reason for this is that the scandisk ("Check Now") application wants exclusive access to your USB drive, but your first Windows Explorer disk is also looking at it.

Run the check now option, scanning for bad sectors.

Advertisement