Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dress Code?

• 28-05-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Just wondering what people think of photographers turning up to weddings dressed like they could be sitting in a pub having a few pints.

Lately I have attended several weddings as a guest and as usual keep a keen eye on the photographer. I would say only about 50% of the time will the photographer turn up in a suit.

Just wanted to know if people think this is acceptable or if they even care.

(In no way am I complaining about the skill or ability of the photographer, suit or no suit. Just with the way they present themselves on the day)

(When I say suit I also mean slacks, shirt and tie)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

I suppose you would just need to look professional and respectful.

A suit is overboard inmy opinion, but I agree. Seen a photographer in hot weather photographing a wedding with a sleeveless shirt and shorts. Looked terrible.

A suit isn't practical. A pair of plain black combats (so you've got the extra pockets and the durability) and a plain black shirt would do the trick I'd imagine (and before I ever seen a wedding photographer, I assumed this is what they'd all wear).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Casual wear is definite no-no in my book - look smart, not even a suit, but a neat pair of trousers and a shirt will do.

More so out of respect to the bride and groom than anything else.

If I was the bride I would be sincerely pissed off if my photographer showed up in very casual wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

A suit isn't practical. A pair of plain black combats (so you've got the extra pockets and the durability) and a plain black shirt would do the trick I'd imagine

I think your mixing up the photographer and the priest!!! :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

I have been to 2 weddings in the last month. Both photographers had suits on (well one had full suit, other had slacks, shirt and tie).

I think its like any business..You have to look the part. I think, while a photographer has an important part to play in the day, they still need to blend in and not stand out - i.e casual gear. After all you are technically a guest at the wedding, the couple have invited you to it (I know you are being paid and working but still.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

You have to look the part. I think, while a photographer has an important part to play in the day, they still need to blend in and not stand out - i.e casual gear. After all you are technically a guest at the wedding, the couple have invited you to it (I know you are being paid and working but still.)

Exactly. I was at a wedding a few years back, dress code was black tie & the photographer was also dressed in black tie. That way he blended in and was relatively unobtrusive during the ceremony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

yes I would have thought at the very least for a wedding, shirt tie and slacks or suit trousers would be the only way to go.

you might get away with looking slightly arty with black combats and a black shirt too but you would need everything to look spotless.

but for fat bald lads like myself :o shirt tie suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PabD

sNarah wrote: »
    Casual wear is definite no-no in my book - look smart, not even a suit, but a neat pair of trousers and a shirt will do.

More so out of respect to the bride and groom than anything else.

If I was the bride I would be sincerely pissed off if my photographer showed up in very casual wear.

This is the exact reason behind my thinking. And yes I think a nice pair of trousers and a shirt would be perfectly acceptable.

I just couldn’t believe that the last wedding the photographer was wearing a very casual shirt (kind of army style because of the shoulder things) and an old worn pair of navy chinos. He just appeared to look very, well untidy I suppose.:eek:

His younger assistant put him to shame as he was very well dressed in just a simple suit. He just blended in with everybody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

PabD wrote: »
    His younger assistant put him to shame as he was very well dressed in just a simple suit. He just blended in with everybody else.

That's even worse :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

You should dress at least to the level of the guests out of respect, you are after all at the wedding and you are getting paid, the caviot to this is if you are scruffy and have been picked up for the job at a wedding in your scruffy clothes, then the client knows what they are getting..

I dont think a suit, a decent suit is over the top.. I would wear it as a guest, I would be happy to ware it as the photographer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭carmel27

A suit, in my humble opinion, is a bit OTT. On the other hand, I wouldnt be impressed if they turned up in their best tracksuit either! I guess, as others have said, shirt, tie and slacks would be very acceptable. At the end of the day, they're there because they are there as they are being paid to do a job. If their job was in, for example, an office where they deal with customers, they would be expected to be neat and tidy, so the same rule should apply here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

For winter a suit and during the summer suit trousers and a shirt/tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Stocking and suspenders anyone ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Stocking and suspenders anyone ??

love it

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

Interesting discussion.

Shirt, tie and smart trousers minimum for male photographers.

What should female photographers wear?

One consideration I would think essential for all photographers would be fairly lose, comfortable clothes if bending, crouching, climbing, etc.
    I can only envisage the firmest of footed female photographer managing doing all that in high heels for a full day without suffering aching feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Well as a female you can't dress to the level of the guests, there are a few different things I wear, trousers, shirt and waistcoat, leggings with long shirt and belt or dress top depending on weather, for me it is dependant on weather and comfort is a biggie so no heels, makeup needs to be perfect and hair tidy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I was at a very stylish wedding rescently where the photographer turned up in jeans and a "funky" shirt. He stood out like a sore-thumb and a lot of people commented on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I had a male photographer at my wedding and he was probably one of the best dressed people in the place and I was very grateful for it. I would have considered it disrespectful and inappropriate if all my friends and family went to the bother of putting on their finest and he was standing there in runners and combats or if he was unshaven or unkempt.

He was with us for 3 days in all, so I saw him in casual the day before/after, but on the day itself he looked incredibly professional and it was excellent.

I know photographers are generally creative types, and there's often an image that goes with this, or less of an expectancy to be formal and "businessy", but if you're planning on charging someone 4 figures you'd better be damn sure you're professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

I dress formal but understated in an effort not to be noticed especially around the alter.
    Male photographers must be properly groomed, smelling nice and wear a suit minimum in the church. 2 or 3 piece dark suit with a collared shirt and tie. If the weather is hot outside then off with the jacket is understandable while you run around. Typically I won't wear a white shirt to be less of an attraction on the alter, so possibly black with a low key pattern or stripe and a subtle tie.
    The only give away I have is I wear expensive Italian shoes with soft soles so there's no noise in the church and they're easy to bend in. Some could argue they're trendy towards being trainers but it's a trade off until I find something even more formal. Sometimes I'll change into a hard shoe when noise is permitted again.

My assistant must also look modest and formal not a million miles off from being passed as a waitress.

If anyone working for me turned up casual I'd send them off home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

black suit and black shirt...really?? awful cliched no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

A cliche look is hardly going to be what you're worried about. It's not a fashion parade.

I would have said personally that trousers and shirt is formal enough for blokes. Given the physical nature of the job it's not always practical to expect a full suit, and if anyone cares so much about that element of their wedding photographer (beyond them being dressed smartly) they are prioritising the wrong thing...
    My assistant must also look modest and formal not a million miles off from being passed as a waitress.

Fair enough i think you're trying to say that flashing cleavage or short skirts is tacky, but the 'waitress' look is taking it a bit far!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

elven wrote: »
    A cliche look is hardly going to be what you're worried about. It's not a fashion parade.

I suppose I have a personal disdain for black shirts, the are reserved for mafia bosses and tinkers in court imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

A suit isn't practical. A pair of plain black combats (so you've got the extra pockets and the durability) and a plain black shirt would do the trick I'd imagine (and before I ever seen a wedding photographer, I assumed this is what they'd all wear).

If a photographer turned up to my wedding in combats, I'd turn him away. It's a wedding, not a location shoot in Fallujah.

It has to be a suit, no question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I suppose I have a personal disdain for black shirts, the are reserved for mafia bosses and tinkers in court imo :)

what about black turtlenecks ?

VisionaryP wrote: »
    If a photographer turned up to my wedding in combats, I'd turn him away. It's a wedding, not a location shoot in Fallujah.

It has to be a suit, no question.

What's wrong with combats?

If I were photographing in a suit, i sure as hell wouldn't be comfortable kneeling every twenty seconds and running around in a hot church. Feck that for an episode.

Don't see the issue with combats :confused: Whenever i've been anywhere formal it's always been combats over slacks when possible. I love the extra pockets and durabitlity. I don't think most people even notice I'm wearing combats most of the time.

If I were photographing in a suit, i sure as hell wouldn't be comfortable kneeling every twenty seconds and running around in a hot church. Feck that for an episode.

First of all, you shouldn't be 'running around' in a church. Second of all, you shouldn't be 'kneeling every 20 seconds' either. It's a church for Gods sake, people kneel all the time. Would you attend a wedding as a guest in combats because the priest is going to ask you to kneel? No, you wouldn't.

If comfort is an issue, then you must be wearing cheap suits, as a well fitted suit is no more uncomfortable than a pair of grubby looking combats.

Don't see the issue with combats :confused: Whenever i've been anywhere formal it's always been combats over slacks when possible. I love the extra pockets and durabitlity. I don't think most people even notice I'm wearing combats most of the time.

It's about respect. You've been invited to take part in one of the most important days of a couple's lives. You need to look inconspicuous, so you must wear something that reflects that.

Combats? Why? For all the pockets? If you need more than your suit trouser pockets then you're one very badly prepared photographer.

hummm yeah combats is hardly church wear

Still don't really see the problem to be honest. Combats and shirt looks respectful enough in my opinion and you'd easily blend in I reckon.

It's not like you'd be wearing 'woodland camo' or anything.

I've seen photographers in casual wear, wearing shorts, etc... I think black combats are a nice compromise.

Anyway, I'm not a wedding photographer... I'm not even a photographer. :(

If I'm ever in the position of photographing a wedding I'd re-assess my clothing options, but I still see no issue with combats/shirt. Aside from a pocket on the side, and a bit of extra stitching theres barely any visual difference.

Shall we agree to disagree.

Aside from a pocket on the side, and a bit of extra stitching theres barely any visual difference.

would you wear combats to a friends wedding? you honestly think no one would notice you wearing combats when everyone else in the church be wearing suits?

• Advertisement

From Paulw's thread it comes down to professionalism at work, I was working at a wedding last Saturday and wore a navy blue well fitted suit with a double cuff shirt and tie and was very comfortable for the whole day. It only gets used for weddings, I bring a peli case too so no bags hanging on my shoulder.

would you wear combats to a friends wedding? you honestly think no one would notice you wearing combats when everyone else in the church be wearing suits?

I'm not saying no on would notice, I just don't think anyone would care. Going as a guest and going as a photographer are different. As a guest you sit quietly waiting for the wedding to hurry up and end. As a photographer, you're moving about and regardless of whatever you're wearing, it's the end result that people are paying for.

If I were a wedding photographer and a client specifically requested I wear something, I'd be grand with that. If i didn't have the clothing she wanted, I'd buy it and add the expense to my cost to her.

If nothing was said: black combats and shirt. This is a silly argument.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it is indeed. if you want to provide a professional service, you dress professionally. i've only shot two weddings, but wore suit and tie to both. the clothing choice was the least of my worries.

It may seem like a silly argument but it is an important one. I think you get a vibe off brides also as to what they expect.

I am always on the look out for work clothes, I think for a woman you need to look professional but also not dated. I have to say the most awkward thing for me is shoes, I find it very hard to find comfy shoes and often end up wearing slip on cheapish shoes so as said before not to make noise around the alter, I tiptoe around the church if I dont have them on, I guess its easier for men to dress for the occasion.

Oh can I also mention this is not a view related only to photographers, I spoke with a videographer about this before and my husband being a singer stresses out much more over his stage clothes before a wedding than a normal gig. When he gigs often it is jeans and tshirts but weddings they all wear trousers and shirts when appropriate, i.e. front line members, obviously a drummer isnt going to be able to do a good session in slacks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I'm getting marred at the Elvis Wedding Chapel in Vegas next year.

I opted for the Viva Las Vegas special package which includes a Pro Photographer.

Having read this thread I'm starting to worry now what the photographer will be wearing... there's no info on their website. I don't want some Hound Dog showing up in jeans in a t-shirt...

• Advertisement

I said dark suit and possibly a black shirt with a low key pattern as a visual guide.
    Last time out I wore a buttoned up Calvin Klein navy pin stripe with a black Eton shirt and a deep rasberry mosaic Boss tie. You can add to that fresh shaven, smelling of good aftershave & nails immaculate. Very stylish and looked a million dollars.

I suppose I'm haunted by the memory of a photographer dressed in Emerald Green Cordoroids, old brown worn hush puppies, a navy sleeveless V neck tank top, white short sleeve shirt with his boney freckled arms dangling out and so so tie. Plonked his tripod on the alter in full view of everyone and thought he was doing a great job. This eyesore for an idiot got more attention than the B&G due to being such a blot on the landscape.
    What an odd but narrow minded opinion then.

elven wrote: »
    Fair enough i think you're trying to say that flashing cleavage or short skirts is tacky, but the 'waitress' look is taking it a bit far!
    It's not over the top prissy. She's free to choose her own clothes. Mostly she'll wear pants so she doesn't give away anything for free when crouching. Open collar white blouse. Black and grey everywhere else. It's modest, doesn't compete with the guests, understated but most of all it won't offed anyone, in particular the B&G.

Nothing if you're fixing an old engine and knocking about your back yard.
    I'm not saying no on would notice, I just don't think anyone would care. Going as a guest and going as a photographer are different. As a guest you sit quietly waiting for the wedding to hurry up and end. As a photographer, you're moving about and regardless of whatever you're wearing, it's the end result that people are paying for.

If I were a wedding photographer and a client specifically requested I wear something, I'd be grand with that. If i didn't have the clothing she wanted, I'd buy it and add the expense to my cost to her.

KKV I saw your other post saying that you're a complete noob and would like some experience if possible. I was up for it but here's the basic requirement - Good Presentation. Dress appropriately. If you can't get that then stick to photographing still life.

As a guest you sit to witness and celebrate the union of two people in love not to endure it and bolt for the door the minute it's over.
    As a photographer you're there as an employee and you must turn up respectable for work. Express yourself with your clothes in your own time.
    By your observations it would be fine for the Gardi to go about with their shirt tails hanging out, a football jersey under the collar, their caps on sideways and wearing whatever fasionable trainers they're into at the time since they're doing their job anyway.
    This might be fine if she requests you dress up as batman but a formal suit is not a special request and is your own cost.

I find it very hard to find comfy shoes and often end up wearing slip on cheapish shoes so as said before not to make noise around the alter, I tiptoe around the church if I dont have them on, I guess its easier for men to dress for the occasion.
    Take a look at the Geox shoes. I live by them for work in churches - Soft soles :Dhttp://www.geox.com/collection/catalogo.asp
    jpb1974 wrote: »
    I'm getting marred at the Elvis Wedding Chapel in Vegas next year.
    I don't want some Hound Dog showing up in jeans in a t-shirt...
    Don't they dress in costume? Like Elvis with hair locks and all do the cermony etc?:cool:

Fatscally wrote: »
    What an odd but narrow minded opinion then.

From my own experience, I have yet to see a black suit/shirt combo that looks well. I find alot of togs seem to go with the black on black...on black look. I find it awful.

Express yourself with your clothes in your own time.

What are you expressing with plain black combats? "I like practicality"?

By your observations it would be fine for the Gardi to go about with their shirt tails hanging out, a football jersey under the collar, their caps on sideways and wearing whatever fasionable trainers they're into at the time since they're doing their job anyway.

Actually, there have been issues regarding the Garda uniform not being practical enough. But the Gardaì are representatives of the state as well as law enforcers. If my job was representing a wedding photographer, then I'd wear whatever was necessary. As a photographer, I'd go for practical over visual. It's not like i'm talking about wearing a clown costume. Id imagine that if you showed up in black combats/shirt... no one would care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd say everyone will agree that new shoes are a no-no? And if you have to get new shoes, ensure you wear the squeak out of them.

As for combats, I've seen a few different types. Some are baggy, some not baggy, and some that look like slacks, except that they have the pockets on the side just above the knees. In fairness, though, would you half crouch to get something out of the pockets, or have what you need in a man bag? And if you're so worried about kneeling, get a dressmaker to put some padding on the knees, then. I'm unsure why you'd be kneeling, though. You're there to take photographs, not to take part in the cermony.

Someone said that it's not a fashion parade. Maybe true, but also consider that everyone there is a possible future client. You come dressed in casual, you may not get much work. You make a good impression, and you could get another job out of it. If someone asks how you were dressed, and was told that you dressed like you just got out of bed, I can't blame someone for not hiring you. If they said they never noticed you, or you were dressed well, I'd be more inclined to hire you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'm not a weeding photographer, So I can't speak for one, but I know from my own common sence, The ability to blend in would be necessary, that way you aren't drawing attention - In saying that, using different lenses, so that you don't have to get too close, as to draw attention would be another way of cutting it. But if you compare being dressed in a casual suit, so that you look decent, and well shaven, compared to walking around in shorts, or a set of combats - The suit is going to draw less attention, because they are all around, If you want to get changed into something different such as a set of combats, or what ever - do it at the reception, where the suit wont matter as much, especially if its a sunny day and your taking photos outdoors.

the_syco wrote: »
    As for combats, I've seen a few different types. Some are baggy, some not baggy, and some that look like slacks, except that they have the pockets on the side just above the knees. In fairness, though, would you half crouch to get something out of the pockets, or have what you need in a man bag? And if you're so worried about kneeling, get a dressmaker to put some padding on the knees, then. I'm unsure why you'd be kneeling, though. You're there to take photographs, not to take part in the cermony.

Ah, I know what you mean about the different kinds of combats.

The combats I wear look fairly similar to these (except with a pocket on the side)

image1xl.jpg&ei=KwwFTOX2GNX94AaUwtGhCw&sa=X&oi=image_landing_page_redirect&ct=legacy&usg=AFQjCNERtyoBJdUagdtUd8Zd8CUvBpImmA

Though I've never shot a wedding, I'd imagine any sensible wedding photographer would be carrying additional batteries, memory cards, etc. along with a phone, keys wallet, and the likes, I don't see how you'd get away with using just two pockets.

Its not much effort to reach to pockets on combat pants. You do need to tilt one side of your body a little.. but if that's an issue...

What are you expressing with plain black combats? "I like practicality"?

"I have no respect."

Listen KKV, I suspect you haven't been to many weddings. As fatscally pointed out, you've come on here more than most posters looking for advice on this forum. You've been given great advice here but you're being too stubborn to accept that your views on the matter are a little misguided.

Take the advice, ditch the combats should you ever do a wedding, and move on to your next request for advice.

Take a look at the Geox shoes. I live by them for work in churches - Soft soles :Dhttp://www.geox.com/collection/catalogo.asp

Clarks do great range of extra soft soles that don't make a sound. Reasonable too, usually around €90 a pair.

Though I've never shot a wedding, I'd imagine any sensible wedding photographer would be carrying additional batteries, memory cards, etc. along with a phone, keys wallet, and the likes, I don't see how you'd get away with using just two pockets.

No. Keys and wallets are never kept in the pockets. Too bulky, and too noisy. Pockets are reserved for memory cards, business cards, lens cloth and handkerchief. Every good photographer will learn when it is time to change batteries before it's too late, and will have plenty of opportunities to do so. These are kept in a bag, along with lenses, somewhere close by.

My objective is to blend in a weddings so I can get my job done, if I look like and dress like a guest its all the much easier. Small prime lenses on a 5d without a grip helps too, I generally have the 24-70L on a 1dmk3 with a flash but get most of the shots I like with the 5d and 85mm/50mm

I have nothing in my pockets at a wedding, enough cards to swap all day and no problems with batteries.

I dont need pockets during a wedding so I dont understand why this is a requirement for people. I have a memory card purse that is attached to one of my camera, I carry both camera with me, one with a short lens, one with a long lens, the camera bag is always close by and as above, I will know in advance when a memory card or battery change is required so can do it withough having to search pockets or anything. Its not like you are out on a job where you dont get a chance to stop at all. You arrive at the brides house fully prepared. Between house and church you have time to swap card, you shouldnt need to swap batteries at this stage, during the ceremony you would have time to swap cards or batteries if required during communion and after the ceremony when the couple are greeting their guests again you will have time, you also have time en route from church to location etc so there is no need at all for pockets full of stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Its all about impression, so much of a wedding photographers work comes from word of mouth and if a girl/guy thinks your not dressed well enough for their mates wedding, theyre certainly not going to think your well enough dressed for their own!

Suit all the way for guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Just thought I'd venture in here having noticed reference to a thread in the weddings forum. I know a few photographers who do weddings and agree, smart and respectful is the way to go. It's getting the balance between blending in and not standing out as another poster suggested.

I went to a friend's wedding last year; she booked very expensive photographers, two people actually. Now whilst I was not impressed but a lot of the end result (another story), the dress of one of them annoyed me. One girl dressed smart pants, smart top, grand. The other wore a black hoody with a diamante skull and crossbones, which I found a bit inappropriate for a wedding. So a definite no no please!

Just thought I'd venture in here having noticed reference to a thread in the weddings forum. I know a few photographers who do weddings and agree, smart and respectful is the way to go. It's getting the balance between blending in and not standing out as another poster suggested.

I went to a friend's wedding last year; she booked very expensive photographers, two people actually. Now whilst I was not impressed but a lot of the end result (another story), the dress of one of them annoyed me. One girl dressed smart pants, smart top, grand. The other wore a black hoody with a diamante skull and crossbones, which I found a bit inappropriate for a wedding. So a definite no no please!

Still wondering what came to mind when they were getting dressed that day? suit or hoodie, decisions

6Cj9YbApUxkw9tK.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement