Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclist has head on collision - contains blood

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Lumen wrote: »
    Of course, but this doesn't mean that the Audi has priority to enter the roundabout in the first place. "I was there first" is no defence in the event of an accident.

Thats not a black and white situation. You can't run into someone because they are in your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

BostonB wrote: »
    Thats not a black and white situation. You can't run into someone because they are in your way.

You appear to be disagreeing with a point I haven't made. I agree with your disagreement, but disagree with your bringing it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Well thats that the Mondeo is doing. Getting their first, by accelerating. Because its a yield and not a stop, he doesn't have to slow down. The sign perhaps is not appropriate. Of course if you have to accelerate and cut the junction to get ahead, perhaps you're not ahead in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lumen wrote: »
    Of course, but this doesn't mean that the Audi has priority to enter the roundabout in the first place. "I was there first" is no defence in the event of an accident.

Ah, I get you - there's no specific rule against it? True. But I think it's part and parcel of negotiating roundabouts in a safe and mannerly ...er, manner. Which of course this particular driver failed to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

From one of the comments by the uploader:
    The police seemed to be prosecuting the driver and even without the video they had plenty of evidence. Photos, matched paint etc.

It will be interesting if the video changes anything. At the time the driver said he had stopped, looked and driven slowly onto the roundabout because he was dazzled by a reflection.

He was an old guy. Just a nice old couple on the way back from Sunday lunch. He was mortified at what had happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

If that's what he reported to the cops, he should be charged with making a false statement.

Also, looking that that map view. It would appear more likely that the Audi would have priority as it's going straight.
    The Mondeo is effectively joining Slough Rd from a side-road.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

jman0war wrote: »

It would appear more likely that the Audi would have priority as it's going straight.
    The Mondeo is effectively joining Slough Rd from a side-road.
    It's a roundabout!!!

You must give way to vehicles approaching from the right.

The fact the Audi is going straight on is completely irrelevant. That vehicle should have stopped because something was approaching from its right (the Mondeo)

The Mondeo should have stopped because something was approaching from its right (the cyclist). In addition the Mondeo did not indicate and would have, given chance, gone straight across the white center of the roundabout (which is illegal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

emanresu wrote: »
    The Audi driver didn't have right of way.
    Note to self 1: Late night - too much drink to be posting on boards :o
    Note to self 2: Right and left.....front brake; back brake.

Advertisement