Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel Economy per supplier

Options
  • 28-05-2010 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I know Topaz say you get more mileage from their fuel but I'm interested in other suppliers since it seems to me that its not always the cheapest petrol that gives most mileage so here's what I propose:
    Fill your car with 20L of petrol from pretty much empty or a marked point on your fuel gauge, zero the odometer then post here with the mileage you've gotten from that 20L and the type of driving done...urban...extra-urban.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Imagineer wrote: »
    I know Topaz say you get more mileage from their fuel but I'm interested in other suppliers since it seems to me that its not always the cheapest petrol that gives most mileage so here's what I propose:
    Fill your car with 20L of petrol from pretty much empty or a marked point on your fuel gauge, zero the odometer then post here with the mileage you've gotten from that 20L and the type of driving done...urban...extra-urban.

When you say other suppliers, are you talking about the filling stations or the supplier that provides the fuel to the stations?

I ask because Texaco, Topaz, Maxol etc in Limerick are all currently getting their fuel from the same depot in Cork, and have being doing so for years, even before Topaz took over Shell Ireland and Statoil Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What about people who drive up to 6000rpm before they bother to change gear and people who brake heavily, people who drive with air con on, people who drive with their windows open, people who drive in 5th gear without knowing they even have a 6th gear.

There are far too many different parameters.

So if somebody comes on here and simply says I have a 07VW Golf and I get 27mpg and somebody else using the same garage says I have a 07 VW Golf as well and I get 36mpg.

One might have a GTi and one might have a CL.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I notice very little difference (if any) from buying diesel at any garage. I do a lot of miles, so I always fill up. I note how many litres I buy, vs the amount of miles I've driven since I've last filled. That gives me a fairly good idea of mpg. I think I got about 530 miles from 48 litres of diesel in my avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Berty wrote: »
    What about people who drive up to 6000rpm before they bother to change gear and people who brake heavily, people who drive with air con on, people who drive with their windows open, people who drive in 5th gear without knowing they even have a 6th gear.

I have several Corpses in my Boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I generally buy Diesel anywhere except from Topaz as the few times I did get it there, I seemed to get less milage! Obviously this could have been for any number of reasons but I still try to avoid going there!!

Diesel is €1.20 a lt at the maxol and old esso garage out near UL, next to landrover dealership!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Unleaded in Esso newport dropped 6 cent over night. Its €1.27 per litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Imagineer

Kess73 wrote: »
    I ask because Texaco, Topaz, Maxol etc in Limerick are all currently getting their fuel from the same depot in Cork, and have being doing so for years, even before Topaz took over Shell Ireland and Statoil Ireland.

Thats kinda my point, how can Topaz make that sort of a claim if its the same fuel as Maxol and Texaco...maybe its just better mileage than a company like Top or Amber but its surely misleading. Any idea where the magic Techron gets added along the process?

As for the other comments, I'm not exactly planning to publish a formal academic paper. A rough guide would be the outcome and anyone that drives at 6K RPM propbaly won't be driving that car for too long.

Berty wrote: »

So if somebody comes on here and simply says I have a 07VW Golf and I get 27mpg and somebody else using the same garage says I have a 07 VW Golf as well and I get 36mpg.

One might have a GTi and one might have a CL.

Variable, not parameters, surely ;). I see your point and I agree, there are a lot of variables so I'll try and point them out and hope to eliminate as may as possible.

For the sake of 20L if everyone who wants to take part could attempt to drive in the most economic way possible:

• Accelerate as quickly and smoothly as possible through the gears to the speed limit styaing in as high a gear as possible.
    • Never coast in neutral.
    • Between short bursts keep momentum up but lift off the accelerator completely remaining in the highest gear possible (Shuts off the fuel supply to the engine).
    • Limit braking as much as possible and let wind resistance of the car slow you when you can.
    • Remove excess clutter and wight from the car.
    • Keep windows up and A/C off.
    • Switch off the engine when sitting in traffic.
    • Maintain tyres at the max recommended pressures.
    Post what mileage you get from 20L with make/model of car and the fuel type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

There is also where you are driving, Road surface quality etc. to take into account.

Maybe just keep it as urban, extra-urban and a combination of both. You could get really technical and factor altitude, atmospheric pressure and ambient temperature but I'd say that might be a overkill!

• Advertisement
Advertisement