Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a live site....

Options
  • 28-05-2010 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Well actually a bit more complicated than the title suggests...

We have had out main site at www.ampsoundsystems.com for years and years. Its time for a change! We are in the process of developing a new site, built on Wordpress. It is currently installed on www.ampsoundsystems.com/site.

I have to leave the old one up for a few more weeks until the new site is completely ready. When I am ready to change, am I better just to redirect ampsoundsystems.com to ampsoundsystems.com/site or move /site/ into the root?

Over the past number of years, we have built up a very nice search engine rating, along with many valuable backlinks. Most of these links go to a page deep in the site, such as ampsoundsystems.com/quote/quote.html. The new site will not follow this same link structure, and that page for example will be http://ampsoundsystems.com/site/get-a-quote/pa-systems/. Should I redirect those important ones as well with a 301?

And finally, before I completely move everything over, should I let the new site sit there for a month or 2 to let all the search engines index it properly before I remove/redirect the old one?

Thanks in advance for all input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

There is a plugin that can do 301 redirects for you.

For another site, one I changed from static html to WordPress, I added 301 redirects to the .htaccess file, above the WordPress section.
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    Redirect 301 /main-courses/ /menus/mains/
    Redirect 301 /starters/     /menus/starters
    Redirect 301 /wines/        /
    Redirect 301 /contact/      /contact-us/
    Redirect 301 /gifts/        /
    Redirect 301 /map/          /contact-us/

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]