Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chromatic aberration & focus accuracy

• 28-05-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

How do you think, is it possible that inaccurate autofocus (significant front focus) of the lens has a negative impact on the amount of chromatic aberration?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Never read of any connection between the two.

OTOH, significant spherical aberration can seem to make a lens seem to not focus correctly. My Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 has a noticeable focus shift as you stop down, to the point where I shoot it at either f/1.4 or f/4 and up, never anything in between. You're focusing wide open so at f/1.4 it'll be as accurate as it can be. If you're stopping down then by the time you get to f/4 the focal point has shifted but stopping down that couple of stops helps overcome this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

As a matter of interest I contacted Sigma repair centre and they are saying it is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Chromatic aberration is produced by different wavelengths of light passing through the lens not converging on the same point and the effect becomes more pronounced when an area of high contrast is slightly out of focus. So if you are in a situation where there is shallow depth-of-field, a slight mis-focus on your subject can result in more pronounced chromatic aberration.

charybdis wrote: »
    Chromatic aberration is produced by different wavelengths of light passing through the lens not converging on the same point and the effect becomes more pronounced when an area of high contrast is slightly out of focus. So if you are in a situation where there is shallow depth-of-field, a slight mis-focus on your subject can result in more pronounced chromatic aberration.

And what happens if focus is micro-adjusted in-camera?

sasar wrote: »
    And what happens if focus is micro-adjusted in-camera?

Micro-adjust or autofocus doesn't really matter, if the subject is slightly out-of-focus chromatic aberration is likely to be more pronounced. If your camera is consistently mis-focusing, the subject will probably be slightly out-of-focus.

• Advertisement

Now, you see, I do understand what CA is, however based on what you are saying (if I understand correctly) - if I shoot at f1.4 I am supposed to get CA.

My question is, if my lens has a strong front focus will that have an impact on the amount of CA?

Front focus does not mean my image in not in focus, it means that focus is not where I wanted it to be.

Now, you see, I do understand what CA is

I don't think you do.
    however based on what you are saying (if I understand correctly) - if I shoot at f1.4 I am supposed to get CA.

Using larger apertures will result in shallower depth-of-field which is more likely to evidence imperfect focus and chromatic aberration.
    My question is, if my lens has a strong front focus will that have an impact on the amount of CA?

"Front focus", in the sense you are using it in, refers to the propensity of a lens to autofocus on a point beyond the intended focus point. If your lens is autofocusing inaccurately, then it is likely chromatic aberration will be more apparent because the intended focus point is probably slightly out-of-focus. This doesn't mean there is necessarily a problem with the optical assembly, it means there is probably a problem with the autofocus mechanism or the user.
    Front focus does not mean my image in not in focus, it means that focus is not where I wanted it to be.

Then, by definition, your image is not in focus.

Then, by definition, your image is not in focus.

Lets say there are two people in my photo, I intended to have focus on one of them, but due to front focus issue actual focus is on the second person. Do you call this - out of focus image? AND, will this result in having more CA in the image?

Lets say there are two people in my photo, I intended to have focus on one of them, but due to front focus issue actual focus is on the second person. Do you call this - out of focus image?

Yes.

Conveniently so, but yes.
    AND, will this result in having more CA in the image?

It depends.

Yes.

Conveniently so, but yes.

I disagree.
    It depends.
    On what?

• Advertisement

I disagree.

OK.

But if you were trying to photograph a small flower and you totally messed up the focus and took a very sharp and technically good photograph of a mountain in the background and the flower was so out-of-focus that it was invisible, would that be an in-focus image of a flower?
    On what?

On what's in the image, where the plane of focus lies, the placement of high contrast areas of the image (if any), the design of lens you're using, the size of your depth-of-field; there are many factors.

OK.

But if you were trying to photograph a small flower and you totally messed up the focus and took a very sharp and technically good photograph of a mountain in the background and the flower was so out-of-focus that it was invisible, would that be an in-focus image of a flower?

Yes, that would be an out-of-focus 'image of flower', but an in-focus 'image of mountains'.

On what's in the image, where the plane of focus lies, the placement of high contrast areas of the image (if any), the design of lens you're using, the size of your depth-of-field; there are many factors.

Lets say I have two similar lenses - one with accurate AF, the other with front focus problem.

I take identical photo with each of the lenses:

Situation #1: I used microadjustment function on the problematic lens to correct front focus issue and images from both lenses are right in focus.

Situation# 2: Knowing that lens has front focus issue, I focus further away, so that the actual focus is right where I need it.

SO, will there be more CA coming from the lens with AF issue in example #1 or #2?

Yes, that would be an out-of-focus 'image of flower', but an in-focus 'image of mountains'.

By that logic an out-of-focus photograph can't exist because, no matter where the focus was set, there will always be a plane of focus; a photograph will never be out-of-focus, it will only be a photograph focused on a different plane than the intended one.

It's a reasonable argument, but its definition of "out-of-focus" isn't a useful one.
    Lets say I have two similar lenses - one with accurate AF, the other with front focus problem.

I take identical photo with each of the lenses:

Situation #1: I used microadjustment function on the problematic lens to correct front focus issue and images from both lenses are right in focus.

Situation# 2: Knowing that lens has front focus issue, I focus further away, so that the actual focus is right where I need it.

SO, will there be more CA coming from the lens with AF issue in example #1 or #2?

Not necessarily.

And situations #1 and #2 are effectively the same thing: in both cases the focus of the lens is corrected, in #1 by the camera, in #2 by the user.

Not necessarily.

And situations #1 and #2 are effectively the same thing: in both cases the focus of the lens is corrected, in #1 by the camera, in #2 by the user.

This is what I wanted to know, however I don't think you're right. Sigma repair service is saying that more CA can be caused by a lens with front focus issue.

This is what I wanted to know, however I don't think you're right. Sigma repair service is saying that more CA can be caused by a lens with front focus issue.

It can be caused by a lens with a front focus issue, but chromatic aberration can also appear in slightly out-of-focus areas even when the same lens is correctly focused. Correcting the focusing accuracy of a lens won't necessarily eliminate the appearance of chromatic aberration in photographs taken with it.

Advertisement