Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple things you'd like the SU to achieve next year?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

dajaffa wrote: »
    Not quite what happened. The SU wanted to open a shop in Newstead but the space allocated wasn't near up to scratch for anything of the sort as the building was a refurb as against purpose-built. I don't think anyone else wanted to, the proposed shop was expected to run at at slight loss iirc.

Well actually it was, the Civil department contacted a certain sandwich maker who many of the staff went to when they were in earlsfort terrace. At the time they would have been very interested in setting up a shop. But as the SU had agreements with other franchises they wouldnt allow other franchises in. They even offered to bring a van in every lunchtime and sell from the van but that wasn't allowed either. I heard this story straight from the head of civil engineering.

Also whether or not the space allocated was not up to scratch does not really hold. What room\area was allocated?

And whether the shop operated at a slight loss or not shouldn't have held either, the SU are there to serve the students, not make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Also whether or not the space allocated was not up to scratch does not really hold. What room\area was allocated?

And whether the shop operated at a slight loss or not shouldn't have held either, the SU are there to serve the students, not make a profit.

Not sure of the exact location but it wasn't a room, it was a corner somewhere in the building. The point was that they were willing to run it at a loss, but there may not have been many outside businesses interested if it was likely to be loss making.

Given it didn't happen I'm sure they could have explored other options which just didn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

dajaffa wrote: »
    Not sure of the exact location but it wasn't a room, it was a corner somewhere in the building. The point was that they were willing to run it at a loss, but there may not have been many outside businesses interested if it was likely to be loss making.

Given it didn't happen I'm sure they could have explored other options which just didn't work out.

Ah right I must be wrong so, I'm sure the head of civil was only blaming the SU as a scapegoat....

So what was wrong with the corner? surely something similar to the student centre but smaller would have sufficed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    So what was wrong with the corner? surely something similar to the student centre but smaller would have sufficed.

Not sure but Barry Colfer was the President at the time and he very much wanted to make it happen but whoever they got to examine the space available said it just wasn't possible. In its place are the many vending machines scattered around the building.

Advertisement