Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to USA. Buying online to collect when there?

• 28-05-2010 3:22pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to be taking a trip to the US to do some traveling in the next few months. I need to buy lots of new camera gear so it makes sense to buy it over there. I'm thinking B&H will probably have the best deals (?) so I thought I could buy online just before I leave and get it delivered to the hotel I'm going to be staying in. Is this doable? I'm flying into LA to start - if it was NY I'd just go to their store, but I'm not sure if there is an equivalent brick&mortar store out there that I can get as good value in.

What do you think would be my best option? The gear I'm buying is a Canon 500D + Sigma 18-200m + accessories
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I'm not sure they would bill an Irish credit card and then send goods to a US hotel address... to them it might sound dodgy... to me it sounds dodgy.

Best thing to do is contact them via their website and ask the question.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Ok I got on to their live chat and they said I can do it if I pay by bank transfer, so that is one way.

I think maybe if I could find the gear on ebay perhaps they would let me do it easier through paypal etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Any friends or family living over there in the vicinity of the places you plan to visit?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes I do have a mate that lives somewhere in Califonia - would they ship there and just not to a hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I seem to recall seeing in the B&H faq that they will deliver to hotels etc. One thing to check is the local/state/federal taxes they will charge for delivery to Calif and also shipping costs, it could raise the prices significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I did this in 2007 and there was no problem with it..... shipping address was a friends place in LA... B&H had the stuff sent in a day or two.

no problem with Irish credit card (although credit card company blocked card twice during holiday - due to "suspicious" activity ....which was a bit stupid 'cos I told them I was going on holidays and will be using my credit card in USA)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Zascar wrote: »
    What do you think would be my best option? The gear I'm buying is a Canon 500D + Sigma 18-200m + accessories
    Thanks

Is it worth doing these days? The price difference is much less than it used
    to be. If you get hit for VAT and duty, it could cost more than EU prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

hbr wrote: »
    Is it worth doing these days? The price difference is much less than it used
    to be. If you get hit for VAT and duty, it could cost more than EU prices.

if he's (or she's) going over (even if it is to a different part of the country) ...then ONLY way he'll (or she'll) get caught for VAT/Import tax..... is if he declares it when he/she returns ...unless theres some huge crackdown at customs.

EDIT: is it worth doing.... my answer... YES ! .... unfortunately the difference between the online price and a bricks and mortar shop in Ireland is very different (unless you purchase a lot from Irish shop - and get a decent discount)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Have you checked that the hotel will accept the delivery on your behalf?

If they do, it will be signed for unchecked - doubt you will have any comeback if anything missing or damaged.

Delivery to a friend is better option or even a professional PO box service who will accept and hold till you collect.

Apart from that I cannot an issue to order provided you are willing to fax/email copies of passport, proof of address etc to them - maybe even contact CC company to get a temporary US address (of place delivery will be made to).

Advertisement