Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series 5, Episode 9 - "Cold Blood"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

The very second rory said 'I would trust the doctor with my life' i knew he was going to die....I even said it just after.Only finished watching a minute ago,had it recorded. Poor rory,i way preferred him to amy. And she said 'get out of the way you idiot' when they were running near the end :mad:.
    I don't know if any of this world exists...whether amy has made it all up and the doctor is trapped in it...that's why his own dream doctor came out? It was a clue? Subconsciously he knows that something is wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyone spot the brilliant piece of perfect music from an Irish band on Doctor Who Confidential?:D Trust me, Trust Me, it's in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

DaPoolRulz wrote:
    Man I hate seeing so much spoilered text and wanting to look at it but knowing I shouldn't. Still at least it's better than reading it 'accidentally'

My problem is I watch the episode, think it's safe to read through all the spoilered text and then end up uncovering a spoiler for a future episode.

Better to have "*spoilers*" in the thread title (for people who don't realise that people might actually be talking about an episode just aired in the thread for that episode) and use the spoiler tags for future episodes imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm not going to put this in spoiler text because this is just my speculation on what has come before, but the fragment of the Tardis that the Doctor holds at the end, means that Tardis does go boom but perhaps we've already seen it happen, what if it's the boom that happened when the Doctor regenerated?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

A friend of mine pointed out that it was good that we got to see how Amy reacted to Rory's death in the Dream Lord episode.It showed how she really,truly loved the guy.Having seen that it's heartbreaking to see her forget him.:(

A great episode though.I'm new to Dr. Who and I love it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Oh the same actress played both the sisters.

I quite liked this, liked the twist, liked the crack, although it didn't barrell along as some episodes do. Solid good storyline stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

angelll wrote: »
    The very second rory said 'I would trust the doctor with my life' i knew he was going to die....I even said it just after.Only finished watching a minute ago,had it recorded. Poor rory,i way preferred him to amy. And she said 'get out of the way you idiot' when they were running near the end :mad:.

I thought she actually said 'Wrong way you idiot' as they were running one way and he was running back towards them. I took it as more affectionate than anything else to be honest.

Anyhow, this episode just really proved I'm not getting into this season as much as I hoped. Unfortunately I was pretty 'meh' during most of it. I'll definitely watch the full season and see how it goes. Have a suspicion that Rory might be brought back, but we'll see!

J.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just watched it last night & I thought it felt very "blah" throughout: the threat never seemed very large, again pointing back to the reduced circumstances in which the story was set. With the voice-over I also thought there'd be some sort of coda set 1000 years in the future, it all seemed to be building that way.

Having said that, it was still a very dark tale with no happy resolution. I can't honestly believe they got away with a human character electrocuting someone to death. That whole subplot with the mother & the fallout of her actions was heavy, adult stuff. A bit soap-opera, but again is a big leap from previous New Who.

And then of course they do that to Rory. Rory! He was such a loveable idiot & really growing into a proper character. I do believe he'll be back though, he was too pivotal a character & surely Moffat wouldn't be so callous as to (literally) wipe his existence from the show without any affect on Amy (I thought we'd see something made of the engagement ring Rory left on the TARDIS console).

Oh and as for the piece of burnt TARDIS found in the gap? Ha, I totally called that iirc: I thought the Doctor would have a part to play & figured only something like a TARDIS could cause that much of a universal fook-up.

I know it was a minor enough thing but I can't think why the engagement ring still exists. The Doctor obviously made a point of pocketing it before Amy saw it but why was it even still in the Tardis once Rory ceased to exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I would imagine the TARDIS is automatically protected from changes in the timeline. Time Lord tech and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know it was a minor enough thing but I can't think why the engagement ring still exists. The Doctor obviously made a point of pocketing it before Amy saw it but why was it even still in the Tardis once Rory ceased to exist?
    I presume it's because it was in the TARDIS and somehow outside of space-time events? If the Doctor was able to stick his hand in there without any harm coming to him, then it seems Time Lords & their technologies are not affected. I definitely think that the ring will play a part yet in the denouement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

jasonb wrote: »
    Anyhow, this episode just really proved I'm not getting into this season as much as I hoped. Unfortunately I was pretty 'meh' during most of it. I'll definitely watch the full season and see how it goes. Have a suspicion that Rory might be brought back, but we'll see!
    To be honest I've been loving this season, but I agree that this episode was flat for the most part, it only really got interesting when the crack appeared, so I don't think it was just you on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Jasonb, that what I remember but it's:

00:37:09,120 --> 00:37:12,880
    - Other way, idiot!
    'Toxic fumigation is about to commence. '

jasonb wrote: »

I thought she actually said 'Wrong way you idiot' as they were running one way and he was running back towards them. I took it as more affectionate than anything else to be honest.
    angelll wrote: »

Poor rory,i way preferred him to amy. And she said 'get out of the way you idiot' when they were running near the end :mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Anyone think that Amy remembering Rory is related to the Finale and to the "continuity error" when the Doctor came back to Amy in Flesh and Stone wearing a jacket.

Remember what he said.
    Amy. You have to remember. Thats the whole point. You have to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Maybe she has a Time beetle on her back :D . It could be the tricksters brigade....

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Maybe in the finale Amy remembers Rory from the engagement ring and tries to go save him and ends up blowing up the Tardis and causing all the cracks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It sagged in places, and had bits of contrived dialogue but it wasn't the worst episode. Hated the music when the soldiers marched into the negotiation chamber. It just seemed too much.

Quite liked Meera Syal's character - think she'd make an interesting future companion. There was good chemistry between her and Matt Smith.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Maybe it was the fact that I was tired but I wasn't particularly overwhelmed by this either, up until the last five minutes. The pacing didn't get me and the Silurians just looked too human - c'mon bring the old guys back!

I did like the fact that the Doctor put his faith in humans and they serious screwed up. A couple of years I reckon we'd have had DT shouting about how humans are BRILLIANT as they saved the day. Not here - they brutally let him down.

As to Rory - I really liked him. What they did was mean. Part of me wants it undone but another part thinks that'd be too easy. Having Amy forget like that was far harsher than when they had Donna just forget her adventures with only the Doctor keeping the memories.
    There's some very interesting theories as to how this will all play out - I'm almost tempted to stop reading them in case people get too close to the truth!
    BuffyBot wrote: »
    Quite liked Meera Syal's character - think she'd make an interesting future companion. There was good chemistry between her and Matt Smith.
    Yep me too. One of the first guest characters since Sally Sparrow that I could see as a fitting companion for the Doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I wasn't crazy about the whole two parter either.

I found the majority of the characters to be quite unpleasant.

Thought it was particularly stupid how all of a sudden we were supposed to see the Silurian doctor in a sympathetic light after we were already shown how he was perfectly happy to perform vivisections on sentient beings.

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ixoy wrote: »
    Maybe it was the fact that I was tired but I wasn't particularly overwhelmed by this either, up until the last five minutes. The pacing didn't get me and the Silurians just looked too human - c'mon bring the old guys back!

I did like the fact that the Doctor put his faith in humans and they serious screwed up. A couple of years I reckon we'd have had DT shouting about how humans are BRILLIANT as they saved the day. Not here - they brutally let him down.

As to Rory - I really liked him. What they did was mean. Part of me wants it undone but another part thinks that'd be too easy. Having Amy forget like that was far harsher than when they had Donna just forget her adventures with only the Doctor keeping the memories.
    There's some very interesting theories as to how this will all play out - I'm almost tempted to stop reading them in case people get too close to the truth!

Yep me too. One of the first guest characters since Sally Sparrow that I could see as a fitting companion for the Doctor.

I thought the first part was far better. The second part was a let down really until Rory died. Never seen that coming!

The killing part was good but sure it was sign posted from the trailer. Not watching the trailers ever again!

Must watch it again. BBC3 on Friday night at 9. My son seen the engagement ring in the Tardis after Rorys death, so I must confirm that! Didn't see it myself. He is 12!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

K-9 wrote: »
    Must watch it again. BBC3 on Friday night at 9. My son seen the engagement ring in the Tardis after Rorys death, so I must confirm that! Didn't see it myself. He is 12!

Your son saw right, it was there and the doctor looked puzzled

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Quite liked Meera Syal's character - think she'd make an interesting future companion. There was good chemistry between her and Matt Smith.[/QUOTE]

I thought so too! I was even expecting her to join the Doctor. Maybe she'll feature in the series again.

Okay. Who just pissed off the Silurians in Guatemala?

The_Gates_of_Hell_Just_Opened_In_Guatemala.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Okay. Who just pissed off the Silurians in Guatemala?

Shopped? Is that real? *hilariously confused*

Also does anyone else think River songs "I killed a good man" thing is gonna come into it?

Also, if the Doctor had realised that it was the wedding that was causing all of this why didn't he suggest they get married and he bring them on the TARDIS as a honeymoon/wedding gift? Duh... :D

nicowa wrote: »
    Shopped? Is that real? *hilariously confused*

Apparently it is real. The sink hole was caused by recent tropical storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Poor Rory! I had unfortunately seen the short trailer for next week before watching this, and noted he wasn't in it, but assumed he'd returned to Leadworth.

Other than that I liked the emphasis on the humans not being willing to share the earth and being flawed (much like Restac and Alaya were on the Silurian side). Meera Syal's character was great - an equal to the Doctor, much like River Song without the all knowing smile. And I thought the sfx were good in HD - they've been much criticised this series in other episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

pixelburp wrote: »
    I can't honestly believe they got away with a human character electrocuting someone to death. That whole subplot with the mother & the fallout of her actions was heavy, adult stuff. A bit soap-opera, but again is a big leap from previous New Who.
    Other than that I liked the emphasis on the humans not being willing to share the earth and being flawed (much like Restac and Alaya were on the Silurian side).

I think it's a big change for the Doctor thinking how great the humans are. Though I really couldn't understand how she got away with it. I mean with Ten when PM Harriet Jones did what she did in The Chrismas Invasion, he made sure she lost her office.

Just a point...

Also:
    Pittens wrote: »
    Anyone think that Amy remembering Rory is related to the Finale and to the "continuity error" when the Doctor came back to Amy in Flesh and Stone wearing a jacket.

Remember what he said.
    Amy, you have to remember. That's the point.

This was realy bugging me, so I went back and rewatched. Totally agree, has to have something to do with it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

well if it is any consolation
    moffat said a production notes article in DWM a while back how he had just seen rushes of the Doctor and his two companions wielding flaming torches in the finale, and he meant Rory

I like the way the series arc is being used, but thats just me repeating myself at this stage. what is alarming is that there is something of a serious ratings slump going on. Firstly attributed to the earlier starting times but this ep and last weeks are only getting four to five million (its somewhere on digital spy) but i was wondering (and i appreciate this maybe because i read too much into what heat magazine says) if there is some residual resistance to the perceived complexity of the stories?

perhaps its just as well we have a celeb writer tomorrow night

Advertisement