Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question regarding LCD and Surroud Sound, with Playstation Problem

• 28-05-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭

Ok folks bear with me here..Up until yesterday i was playing my playstation 3 on a old 26 inch tele..not a lcd or plasma ,just the old tv's.I had my Playstation 3 connected to the tele via a scart lead.

At Christmas the auld pair, bought me a sony surround system.this is the one
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/home-cinema/review/2009/07/06/Sony-DAV-DZ280-DVD-Home-Cinema-System/p1

I had that hooked up to the tele via a scart lead too, and everything was working perfect.When playing the playstation 3, i could use it no problem too and the sound was class.

Yesterday i bought a 37 inch LCD tele..Now ive hooked the Playstation 3 up to the tele with a HDMI lead.

The sound system is connected to the tele via a scart lead.

Here's my problem

When i go to play the playstation,the surround sound isnt working.What i am getting it the sound of the RTE,or TV3 stations coming through.The sound will work if i knock the surround sound off and just use the volume on the tele, but whats the point in having a surround sound system if you cant use it.

So far ive tried everything and read both booklets, but i cant seem to figure my problem out.Please Please some one help..

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, i didnt know where to put it.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi,

I'm moving your query to the Home Entertainment Forum, more suited to queries of this kind.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Bigron 2109

I'd say your problem is down to the fact that you have your PS3 connected via HDMI (the BEST way to plug it into a Full HD TV)
    I'd guess that your old TV was able to pass the audio onto you DAV DZ280 system via SCART.

Question for you - I wasnt aware PS3 had a SCART output on it - do you mean you are using a SCART ADAPTOR and plugging the the YELLOW, RED and WHITE cables (composite Video and analogue Audio) into that?

I've found this quote from the link to the review you posted up

Anyone hoping to use this system as a switching centre for the rest of their AV kit should look elsewhere - the rear panel is disappointingly barren, sporting no audio inputs whatsoever and only a couple of video outputs

It would appear that as this system has no Audio inputs (digital or analogue) getting the sound from your PS3 into it will be impossible (I may be wrong..) as the new TV cant convert the Digital audio (via HDMI) into an analogue signal to output via SCART.

If this is the case you should also plug your Sony system into your new LCD via HDMI as well - this will give a better image than you currently get via SCART.

Still wont solve your PS3 audio proble though

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

As Ash says, on your new telly you can't transmit the sound via scart any more.

I had a similar problem with my Xbox and a Sony all in one surround system. The only audio-in port on the Sony surround is the 3.5mm port on the front for plugging in mp3 players. That's where you'll have to route the sound from your PS3. You have an optical out port on the PS3 so you need to connect from there to the sony 3.5mm front port.

Unfortunately this isn't straight forward as its an optical output and an 3.5mm coaxial input. So you'll need:

optical cable(PS3 to Converter)
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44245

Optical to RCA Converter
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29293

RCA cable (Converter to Sony surround)
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=11422

This will get the sound into your surround system, but only as 2.1, which will still be a lot better then whats coming out your telly.

Other choice is to get a surround system/av amp with an optical in port, but that's a bit pricier then the cables and converter above!

Advertisement