Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ghd replacement....?

Options
  • 28-05-2010 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

So after almost 7 long years my ghd has finally packed in and broken :( Can't say I'm complaining because I know it served me well, but of course it had to break right when I'm at a "financial low point", to put it mildly.

I'm just wondering is there any other hair straightners out there of similar quality to the ghd but with a smaller price tag? I know when I purchased my first one a few years ago, the ghd was the only straightner of it's quality that was really available to the mass market (or at least the only one I knew of), but I'm hoping things might have changed since then? I'm not going for the poker straight look anyway, just something to smooth the ends and my fringe, so I suppose I can afford to compromise somewhat on the quality aspect.

Would really appreciate any recommendations!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'd stick with GHD. You can get them fairly cheaply on hqhair.com

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭carmel27

I really dont think you can beat the GHD:( Any other straightners Ive used have been grand and have straightened my hair, but it has gone back into a frizz ball after about an hour. Its a pity the GHD is so expensive, but I guess its worth though when you got 7yrs out of it. Ive had mine for 6, and its still going great.
    Id suggest you just save like mad and treat yourself to another GHD. Cheaper ones wont do the job as good, and probably wouldnt last for 7yrs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Ireland AM did a section on hair straightners and compared other straightners to the GHD. The boots own brand came out on top. I don't think it was very expensive but if my GHD packs in I'll be trying that one.

Ireland AM did a section on hair straightners and compared other straightners to the GHD. The boots own brand came out on top. I don't think it was very expensive but if my GHD packs in I'll be trying that one.

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Essentials-Ceramic-Hair-Straighteners_982539/

Those? The reviews are amazing, can't believe it costs only £11.99!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

eth0_ wrote: »
    http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Essentials-Ceramic-Hair-Straighteners_982539/

Those? The reviews are amazing, can't believe it costs only £11.99!

Wow,
    Do you know if they have these in store? and how much in euros?
    Will definitely buy one, my ghd is giving me trouble so need a back up.

• Advertisement

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Wow,
    Do you know if they have these in store? and how much in euros?
    Will definitely buy one, my ghd is giving me trouble so need a back up.

Dunno, sorry. I guess one of the big Boots stores would have them, such as Liffey Valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Synods

Yeah I realise saving the money up for a new ghd would really be the most financially sensible option, as over the long term it would pay off, but realistically it's just not a viable option at this point in time!

Might be in Galway city this weekend so I reckon I'll have a look in Boots there and I'll give you an update to let you know if it's there or not! If not I think I might just order it off the net anyway.

Thanks for all the help you guys!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

I bought one called Kodo that I find really good, cost me about 15 euro on ebay. Not as good as a ghd, but was in a similar situation to yourself, really poor but still needed to look after the mop! Still very good though, would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭carmel27

Ollchailin wrote: »
    I bought one called Kodo that I find really good, cost me about 15 euro on ebay. Not as good as a ghd, but was in a similar situation to yourself, really poor but still needed to look after the mop! Still very good though, would recommend it.

Id one of those yrs ago actually and it was quite good. Better than any of my other pre-GHD ones anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I was in boots today and got the boots essentials straightener. It was €14.93 so picked it up and paid for it with the points on my advantage card.
    I have a GHD which I love but needed a spare one for weekends away and the like.
    Just tried it out and it's very smooth gliding through my hair and am impressed with the result!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

What sort of hair have you Carol is it thick? Im very tempted as mine usual straightener has been on its last legs for what seems like an age!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I have very thick hair. It's straight but has kinks - it's heavily layered because of the thickness, and the layers just stand out in any old direction and found the straightener very quick yesterday to iron them out.
    I love my GHD and have tried other straighteners in the past, I think this boots one is well worth 15euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I had a Kodo for years.I bought it in Dublin in the salon services shop off OConnell st. It laster years & broke a few months ago. So I bought a real GHD then.. I found the Kodo waaaaaay better. I miss it!
    I have wavy hair.. Long & kinda thick so it's not the easiest to manage..

Go Kodo!

The girl in the shop told me those & Mikado are made by GHD but they have a a diff name and that's all ... I don't about that though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I had a Kodo for years.I bought it in Dublin in the salon services shop Middle Abbey St. It lasted years & broke a few months ago. So I bought a real GHD then.. I found the Kodo waaaaaay better. I miss it!
    I have wavy hair.. Long & kinda thick so it's not the easiest to manage..

Go Kodo!

The girl in the shop told me those & Mikado are made by GHD but they have a a diff name and that's all ... I don't about that though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

Some Peter Marks are running special offers on GHDs at the minute. I stood on mine about 2 months ago and was dreading having to fork out for a new one. I got one in Peter Marks in Liffey Valley for 120, which I didn't think was too bad.

My hairdresser told me that the original makers of GHD have set up their own company called Cloud 9 (I think). Their new straighteners are supposed to be as good as the GHD but with some extra functions, let being able to change the heat settings etc. I priced them when I was buying a new one but they were a bit dearer than the GHD at €140.

I've bought a few straighteners in the past when I've been stuck but I don't think any come close to the GHD!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 L.C.2010

i have naturally thick hair too and i bought the remmington pro slim ceramic 230, and i find it brill :) it cost about 50 quid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CathyMelbin

Hi all,

I saw this offer on ghds in this site

http://www.ghdsaleireland.com/ghd-iv-salon-styler-p-7

Is that for real. They seem to be much cheaper than in PeterMarks. Was wondering whether the site is bogus or not. The site doesnt have any contact us or such links which gives out info about them .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Hi all,

I saw this offer on ghds in this site

http://www.ghdsaleireland.com/ghd-iv-salon-styler-p-7

Is that for real. They seem to be much cheaper than in PeterMarks. Was wondering whether the site is bogus or not. The site doesnt have any contact us or such links which gives out info about them .

You can use the fake ghd website checker on the official ghd site. If it's not the list, it's probably fake

http://website-checker.ghdhair.com/counterfeit

Just going by the site, it looks mega-fake anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Since GHD's first came out they have gotten alot cheaper, it might be just as good to save for them again. You could also opt to get a CHI which is another amazing hair starightner used mostly in America but you can still get it over here, although it is up near 200 quid!

My first straightner was a Nicky Clarke, I find them brilliant. I do prefer GHD but it is a close second for my Nicky Clarke's. There not exspensive and they sometimes come in a set with the hair dryer aswell. I would however stay away from anything Remington or Babyliss, I was told that by the hairdressing teacher I used to have. They are pretty cheap but they're not good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CathyMelbin

Pythia wrote: »
    You can use the fake ghd website checker on the official ghd site. If it's not the list, it's probably fake

http://website-checker.ghdhair.com/counterfeit

Just going by the site, it looks mega-fake anyway.

Thanks a lot, Pythia , It's indeed listed as Unknown retailer website from ghd site..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

Just heard about kodo hair straightners today. A girl i work with had them for 6 years and said they were just as good as ghds. googled them and they seem to be at a reasonable price - £54. You should give them a try ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

I have a Remington one now for about 5years, My hair is straight anyway so it wouldnt take a lot to straighten it. Its starting to die a little and I think after 5years its time for a new one.. I dont need anything super expensive, I have tried my friends GHDs and to be honest my own Remington did as good a job..

has anyone got this? http://www.buy4now.ie/sammccauley/aspx/productdetail.aspx?pid=5384&loc=P&catid=81.1

or else hows that boots one holding up?!

I dont have a lot of money to be spending on one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Synods

Hi again! The OP here, totally forgot about this thread till I stumbled about it here :P

I got the Boots 14.93 straightener in the end, with a view to investing in a ghd around xmas time.

Tbh, it's nothing in comparison to a ghd, but it still does the job! If your just after something to smooth your hair over and reduce frizz you really can't go wrong with it, but if you need your ghd for creating poker straight styles/curls/waves/etc you will really struggle trying to achieve that with this machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Zxc01

Corioliss - Hair Straighteners, Flat Irons & More ... are brilliant. I can't recommend them enough

Corioliss head to 220degrees way hot but i need for my curly hair

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

Zxc01 wrote: »
    Corioliss - Hair Straighteners, Flat Irons & More ... are brilliant. I can't recommend them enough

Corioliss head to 220degrees way hot but i need for my curly hair

anyone know where i can get a set of these in Ireland?
    My GHD's are dead - and tbh I was never very happy with them.
    I have coarse frizzy hair and so I need good straighteners - i am willing to spend money on them..

I can get Corioliss on Amazon but I would prefer to buy in a store if I could - just in case..

Also, if anyone has them - review?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

sporina wrote: »
    anyone know where i can get a set of these in Ireland?
    My GHD's are dead - and tbh I was never very happy with them.
    I have coarse frizzy hair and so I need good straighteners - i am willing to spend money on them..

I can get Corioliss on Amazon but I would prefer to buy in a store if I could - just in case..

Also, if anyone has them - review?

Don't know if you are still looking - I have a G3 Salon Pro styling iron but I noticed on the Karmin website that they have added a Salon Series styling iron and the specs look good.

yes I am still looking - I got an FHI one and didn't like it at all... it was as if it would not "grip" my hair so I felt that it would damage my hair, trying to actually straighten it, if you know what I mean.

I will have a look again after xmas..

I never heard of Karmin? Had a look at the spec of the salon series - the temp gauge is v high - min 230.. i would be afraid I would damage my hair..

yes I am still looking - I got an FHI one and didn't like it at all... it was as if it would not "grip" my hair so I felt that it would damage my hair, trying to actually straighten it, if you know what I mean.

I will have a look again after xmas..

I never heard of Karmin? Had a look at the spec of the salon series - the temp gauge is v high - min 230.. i would be afraid I would damage my hair..

I only heard of them in Dec 2014 when I received my pressie of the G3 Salon Pro. My hair is Asian and fairly coarse and thick but I keep to 260F and with a heat protectant applied after shampooing and before drying and heat styling I do not have a problem at all. I read beautylish.com/a/vcais/heat-index-how-hot-is-too-hot to get guidelines before I started using my flat iron. Hope it helps you as well.

Have a great Christmas and hope the New Year brings you everything you want.

LinF wrote: »
    I only heard of them in Dec 2014 when I received my pressie of the G3 Salon Pro. My hair is Asian and fairly coarse and thick but I keep to 260F and with a heat protectant applied after shampooing and before drying and heat styling I do not have a problem at all. I read beautylish.com/a/vcais/heat-index-how-hot-is-too-hot to get guidelines before I started using my flat iron. Hope it helps you as well.

Have a great Christmas and hope the New Year brings you everything you want.

thanks for that - do you mean 260 C? not F

• Advertisement

thanks for that - do you mean 260 C? not F

To answer your question
    No - The G3 is between 250F & 460F - I tend to keep between 260 & 300F
    and
    the Salon Series is between 230F & 450F

Advertisement