Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can part of a property be sold after Retirement Relief is used for CGT?

• 28-05-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hiya,

I'd be very grateful if anyone can has any insights into this one:

- I've just received a property from my elderly father who is 72 and in poor health
    - It's a family business and there was no CGT under Retirement Relief
    - Retirement Relief says that you can't dispose of the assets for a 6 year period after receiving them
    - Our next door neighbor is keen to buy from us a small amount of the property
    - It's a bit that sticks out into his property so it makes sense for him to have it

My question, as you can probably guess, is can I sell my neighbor this part of the property?

Or another alternative is that he could swap me a bit of his property for the bit of mine he wants (it's not fenced yet).

I know that this forum isn't for specific advice but does anyone have any experience of this and whether it is possible?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

Mod snip

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭summereire

So if I understand correctly I can sell a part of the land after transfer and there will be CGT charged on it, but to me, and only on the part that was transferred (presumably as a percentage of the whole property's value)?

Is a part disposal computation a form or what exactly?

If we were swapping land so I was getting at least as much land back and therefore preserving/enhancing the assets do you thing any clawback would happen then?

As for my father selling the bit of land to the neighbour beforehand, would that mean that there is relief on the CGT for that sale even though it's just a small part of the property, without goodwill etc?

For retirement relief can just the property/premises be gifted or does goodwill, equipment etc HAVE to be included?

And does the same type of business need to be carried out or can the property be used for other business?

Thanks heaps for your help with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Thread closed.

Read the charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement