Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton To Hold Becks Talks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

In fairness more than just a poxy link would've been nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Touchy
    Everton are set to hold transfer talks with Leeds United striker Jermaine Beckford, Sky Sports News understands.

Beckford is now a free agent after the remaining one month of his Leeds United contract was cancelled by the club on Friday.

The striker spent a total of four-and-a-half years and scored 81 league goals in 126 appearances for the West Yorkshire outfit.

Beckford scored 25 league goals this season and while his tally dried up in the second half of the campaign, his winning effort against Bristol Rovers earlier this month clinched promotion.

The former Wealdstone marksman was heavily linked with a move to Newcastle in January following his FA Cup heroics against Manchester United.

Everton have been tipped to move for the 26-year-old in recent months and now it seems that manager David Moyes is one step closer to bolstering his attacking line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

sure he's done a medical already, its a done deal, supposedly £19000 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I came into this thread thinking we had just been linked with David Beckham!

Beckford has been a done deal for a number of months now to those who say they are "in the know", it's just awaiting confirmation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I thought it was Beckham too!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thread disappoints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

He agreed a pre-contractual thing with Everton in January that was reported...and openly said he would stay till the end of the season but he would be moving to Everton afterwards.

Four and a half years of fantastic service. Gave us nothing but goals goals goals. Fantastic player and I wish him all the best in the premiership, hopefully the two tier jump won't be too much and he can get himself respect up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Like i say about liverpool, why would a player want to sign for everton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Like i say about liverpool, why would a player want to sign for everton

as opposed to signing for chelsea or man united and not getting a game? or liverpool or arsenal and winning nothing? (and still not getting (much) games))

so as Jack rodwell has done, is a pretty non brainer, and the grass is not always greener.

look at poor lescott, the highest scoring defender while and everton and an england regular..

to suggest 'why' becks should sign for everton, shows just how ignorant you are tbh

as opposed to signing for chelsea or man united and not getting a game? or liverpool or arsenal and winning nothing? (and still not getting (much) games))

so as Jack rodwell has done, is a pretty non brainer, and the grass is not always greener.

look at poor lescott, the highest scoring defender while and everton and an england regular..

to suggest 'why' becks should sign for everton, shows just how ignorant you are tbh

If a player has aspirations to be the best player he can be and be a winner surely he would be looking to sign for the best or one of the best teams in the league and try fight for a place, suppose its hard also if your not wanted by the top teams, not much a player can do about that then.
    Maybe in a couple of years we shall see.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If a player has aspirations to be the best player he can be and be a winner surely he would be looking to sign for the best or one of the best teams in the league and try fight for a place, suppose its hard also if your not wanted by the top teams, not much a player can do about that then.
    This post is beyond ridiculous tbh.

Thread disappoints.

Its the truth, United weren't looking to buy him or anything. Why does the thread disappoint you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Do you realise that Beckford is 26?

It's not like he's a young prospect, I'd be doubtful as to whether he could do all that well in the Premiership.

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Do you realise that Beckford is 26?

It's not like he's a young prospect, I'd be doubtful as to whether he could do all that well in the Premiership.

Exactly so, I doubt he will ever be going to a club like United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭28064212

He's right you know, we should just get rid of the 89 clubs in the league that aren't United, Chelsea and Arsenal. They can have squads of 500 players each, and that way, we make sure every player can "be the best he can be"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Exactly so, I doubt he will ever be going to a club like United.

So then what's wrong with him 'cutting his losses'(so to speak) and going to 8th placed Everton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I was about to start daydreaming of Seamus Coleman overlapping David Beckham on the wing. Cheers op :o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I thought Everton's sponsorship with Chang Beer had expired and they were being sponsored by Becks Beer instead :confused:

@ Cypher Sounds

You're confusing me now on what your stance is. Do you or do you not think this is a good move for him?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Great goalscorer and servant to Leeds so I wish him all the best.

Have serious doubts as to whether he can cut it in the Premiership though, he misses his fair amount of sitters and has a rotten attitude. Hopefully he can do well though and I'm happy he went to Everton as he should at least get a chance to do well there.

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    So then what's wrong with him 'cutting his losses'(so to speak) and going to 8th placed Everton?

Nothing good luck to him, i hope he can win a trophy with them over his career even though it will be difficult they will need pienaar to stay, are they gonna sign that ajax defender i heard rumours about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Great goalscorer and servant to Leeds so I wish him all the best.

Have serious doubts as to whether he can cut it in the Premiership though, he misses his fair amount of sitters and has a rotten attitude. Hopefully he can do well though and I'm happy he went to Everton as he should at least get a chance to do well there.

well said, no bull****

Average-Ro wrote: »
    @ Cypher Sounds

You're confusing me now on what your stance is. Do you or do you not think this is a good move for him?

My stance is simple, it could have been worse but could have been better for the boy also.

My stance is simple, it could have been worse but could have been better for the boy also.

Gotcha, I don't agree though. I think Everton is the highest profile club he could have hoped to sign for (and I'm doubtful about how well he'll do there).

Don't think he could have done any better really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

How could it have been better? Who else were in for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

How could it have been better? Who else were in for him?

Newcastle and bolton : /

Dont get what that fella was on about. This is a great move for him. He does miss "some" sitters, wouldn't say its too many from my viewing of leeds down the last few years.

His goalscoring is phenominal and he is by far the hottest striker outside the premiership, and has been for years.

Thoroughly deserves a run in the premiership, and I can see him knocking them in all over the shop too.

He is a good finisher, hes a clever box player and he has pace...most premiership strikers tick 1 maybe 2 of thsoe boxes, he ticks all 3.

Advertisement