Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interior doors/Glass above head?

• 28-05-2010 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi, ive replaced interior doors before with glass above the head, mostly upstairs in houses. Now Ive always just replaced the frame, glass etc.

I have a client who has seven doors like this and wants to block them up, ie. fit new door and frame and just slab and plaster above. Now the problem is two of the rooms dont have vents and these rooms have a 1 inch gap between the top of the glass and the frame obviously to stop carbon monoxide build up. There is no natural light on the landing apart from these windows and I told him it may be leave the landing very dark.

Ive suggested boring new vents in the two rooms(its only a double 100mm leaf) so it shouldnt be a problem. Now as far as bringing light into the landing ive suggested glass blocks instead of blocking the glass or a skylight.

The question is firstly am i able(by law) to block these glass opes up. And secondly is there a better way to bring non artificial light in if I do.

Cheers in advance;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Just gonna bump this up, should be an easy response cmon people get your fingers out:p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I've no vents in the rooms upstairs in my house.

What in the rooms will generate carbon monoxide that would need them to be vented? Plus, unless there's a differential in air pressure outside to inside, it wouldn't evacuate the air from the room.

Only other solution to the light is a sky tunnell, but what the client wants....

Advertisement