Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M8 abbeyleix Toll, ..avoid..

Options
  • 28-05-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

when travelling north bound on the M8, what exit should be taken to avoid the new toll at abbeyleix ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

pa990 wrote: »
    when travelling north bound on the M8, what exit should be taken to avoid the new toll at abbeyleix ?

Urlingford/johnstown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If everyone did this the NRA would get no funding. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

why would they want to? on a return journey from the capital to Dublin:cool: what would the total toll be? €10 or so? thats a drop in the ocean surely compared to the total spend of your day/weekend out in the Smoke....

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Based on traffic in Abbeyleix this evening, many people are thinking the same way. For €1.80, I'd go thry the toll. Cost me 3:20 in a jeep and I will think twice about going thru toll next time. 3.20 too expensive in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Was it not €3.40 no?
    If not it's cheaper than the Fermoy toll

• Advertisement

Give it a few months and we will see an 80kph limit, round abouts and more traffic lights on the old road. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

as some one who often tips on down to cork on a friday evening for the weekend €1.80 is a bargain not to be caught in those bottle necks. Leaving work at half five and then ordering a pint in kinsale at 8 o'clock does sound worth the toll.

Mind you I have been paying the toll on the M50 twice a day for the last 10 years so I'm well used to it. Probably brainwashed after having to queue up at a bottle neck to pay it before the freeflow system !!

staker wrote: »
    Was it not €3.40 no?
    If not it's cheaper than the Fermoy toll

0.90, 3.20, 3.50 and 5.70 are the rates.

whippet wrote: »
    as some one who often tips on down to cork on a friday evening for the weekend €1.80 is a bargain not to be caught in those bottle necks. Leaving work at half five and then ordering a pint in kinsale at 8 o'clock does sound worth the toll.

I've no problem paying toll for a journey.......hate paying it to go from Portlaoise to Rathdowney twice a day, 5 days a week tho. Would never dream of trying to dodge any of the other tolls.

Another problem that I have with toll plaza's here is that they do not give change..........and on principle I certainly wouldn't put in 2.00 even if toll was 1.99.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Here's my procedure for toll booths that don't have a bike lane:

Engine off.
    Sidestand down.
    Off the bike.
    Gloves off.
    Helmet off.
    Music off.
    Wallet out.
    Change counted.
    Pay toll.
    Wallet back in.
    Music on.
    Helmet and gloves back on.
    Back on the bike, and away :p

They'll eventually get the message.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Come off the M8 @ Exit 3 , then head for Ballacolla>Abbeyliex>Portlaoise
    freighter wrote: »
    Urlingford/johnstown

close, but no cigar.:D;)

KamiKazi wrote: »

Engine off.
    Sidestand down.
    Off the bike.
    Gloves off.
    Helmet off.
    Music off.
    Wallet out.
    Change counted.
    Pay toll.
    Wallet back in.
    Music on.
    Back on the bike, and away :p

You missed one:
    Drop your change on the tarmac and then spend 5 minutes looking for it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jomcc wrote: »
    and on principle I certainly wouldn't put in 2.00 even if toll was 1.99.

Just open your door and pick up some change off the ground, you'd be surprised how many people miss the bucket and won't stop to pick it up because there's a car behind them.

Who knows you might even make a profit going through;)

Just open your door and pick up some change off the ground, you'd be surprised how many people miss the bucket and won't stop to pick it up because there's a car behind them.

Who knows you might even make a profit going through;)

I got cautioned by your one in the booth from doing this on the old Westlink plasza from a motorbike. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I got cautioned by your one in the booth from doing this on the old Westlink plasza from a motorbike. :)

What's she gonna do, tell you to turn around and fvck off? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Give it a few months and we will see an 80kph limit, round abouts and more traffic lights on the old road. :mad:

Is it not 80kph now considering the old road has been automatically redesignated as the R639 which as a regional road carries a 80kph speed limit automatically.

I was always under the assumption that Laois County Council will have to put through bye laws to raise the limits back to 100kph afterwards.

As with the R639 around Fermoy and Rathcormack, expect squad cars everywhere doing speed checks. As long as I've been driving the Fermoy bypass, I still haven't seen a squad car doing speed checks on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Finders Keepers - !!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Brilliant:D

You'd as much right to it as the NRA! It's no man's Money!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

most of my cork/dublin/cork journeys are off peak..
    I've never really had problems with abbeyleix

I don't think that the toll is worth the few minutes it will save me.

I just wanted to be sure of which exit to take on my next journey, so i don't accidentally get stung with the toll.

A trip from dub airport to cork, will now cost 5.70 each way in toll's alone i reckon..

Thats 11.40 on a return trip

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Finders Keepers - !!:)
    Not what she said, told her to fcuk off and kept at it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

yeah, they've done that on the old N4. the backstards.
    safety reasons, me arse

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Is it not 80kph now considering the old road has been automatically redesignated as the R639 which as a regional road carries a 80kph speed limit automatically.

I was always under the assumption that Laois County Council will have to put through bye laws to raise the limits back to 100kph afterwards.

As with the R639 around Fermoy and Rathcormack, expect squad cars everywhere doing speed checks. As long as I've been driving the Fermoy bypass, I still haven't seen a squad car doing speed checks on it.

Try West Cork. Many R roads are 100kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

One little thin though..............WE'VE ALREADY PAID FOR THESE TOLL ROADS OVER AND OVER WITH OUR ROAD TAXES!!! Why are we so tolerant of being screwed over and over with taxes?????

Ali Babba wrote: »
    One little thin though..............WE'VE ALREADY PAID FOR THESE TOLL ROADS OVER AND OVER WITH OUR ROAD TAXES!!! Why are we so tolerant of being screwed over and over with taxes?????

Who paid for these roads? Not us. The roads are a PPP using EU Money and Private investment otherwise they would never have been built.

This is the only way for the private investor to recoup their money. Try the Autoroutes in France. Nearly all of them are Tolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

KamiKazi wrote: »

Engine off.
    Sidestand down.
    Off the bike.
    Gloves off.
    Helmet off.
    Music off.
    Wallet out.
    Change counted.
    Pay toll.
    Wallet back in.
    Music on.
    Back on the bike, and away

And dont forget to jump the queue. You do own the road after all. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

most of my cork/dublin/cork journeys are off peak..
    I've never really had problems with abbeyleix

I don't think that the toll is worth the few minutes it will save me.

I just wanted to be sure of which exit to take on my next journey, so i don't accidentally get stung with the toll.

A trip from dub airport to cork, will now cost 5.70 each way in toll's alone i reckon..

Thats 11.40 on a return trip

You must have done Honours Maths in the Leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭glanman

Jomcc wrote: »
    Based on traffic in Abbeyleix this evening, many people are thinking the same way. For €1.80, I'd go thry the toll. Cost me 3:20 in a jeep and I will think twice about going thru toll next time. 3.20 too expensive in my opinion.

does your jeep fit under the automatic toll? My pajero fits under the 2m barrier on the Cork one so can pay the 1.90... Hope to do the same on this toll too:)

testicle wrote: »
    You must have done Honours Maths in the Leaving!

I didn't want to say that i would cost x amount.. Just in case i got one of the toll charges wrong..
    God knows, some people are quick to jump in and point out any inaccuracey.

Btw. Well done on your observations of my math skills. :)

I didn't want to say that i would cost x amount.. Just in case i got one of the toll charges wrong..
    God knows, some people are quick to jump in and point out any inaccuracey.

Btw. Well done on your observations of my math skills. :)

You have spelt that wrong. It's inaccuracy. :p

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    You have spelt that wrong. It's inaccuracy. :p

LOL

Advertisement