Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M8 abbeyleix Toll, ..avoid..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Here's my procedure for toll booths that don't have a bike lane:

Engine off.
    Sidestand down.
    Off the bike.
    Gloves off.
    Helmet off.
    Music off.
    Wallet out.
    Change counted.
    Pay toll.
    Wallet back in.
    Music on.
    Helmet and gloves back on.
    Back on the bike, and away :p

They'll eventually get the message.
    Why not tape the coins to the tank before you leave home?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

its a BIKE he has , not a TANK...gawd knows what the Toll would be on a Tank....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

corktina wrote: »
    its a BIKE he has , not a TANK...gawd knows what the Toll would be on a Tank....
    €0.00 perhaps? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,549 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is it not 80kph now considering the old road has been automatically redesignated as the R639 which as a regional road carries a 80kph speed limit automatically.

A lot of it is now actually the N77, so is still 100km/h by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Can anyone tell me what the cost of this new toll is for a car with an eazypass tag in the car? Is the price different at other times of the day/week?

Also, what kind of times are they quoting that you save by taking the new road to Cork over the old road?

I am now down to 1hr58 from my gaf in Naas to the Dunkettle roundabout before this section was built and thats sitting on the limit all the way using cruise control. I am hearing something like 40min savings but I'm guessing this is during peak times.

My journey at the moment is 216km but it looks like the new motorway adds about 15-20km to my journey bringing it up to 230/235km. Sitting at roughly 125km/h with slowing down for 2 toll booths, I'd say it will only knock 10-15mins off my journey...next trip will tell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the cost of this new toll is for a car with an eazypass tag in the car? Is the price different at other times of the day/week?

Also, what kind of times are they quoting that you save by taking the new road to Cork over the old road?

I am now down to 1hr58 from my gaf in Naas to the Dunkettle roundabout before this section was built and thats sitting on the limit all the way using cruise control. I am hearing something like 40min savings but I'm guessing this is during peak times.

My journey at the moment is 216km but it looks like the new motorway adds about 15-20km to my journey bringing it up to 230/235km. Sitting at roughly 125km/h with slowing down for 2 toll booths, I'd say it will only knock 10-15mins off my journey...next trip will tell

At the risk of having people jump down my throat here, it amazes me why anyone would bother dodging that toll. Taking the new section and paying the toll will save you about four or five minutes assuming you don't get held up on the old road, potentially much more if you do. But it's not all about the time-saving. Statistically you are anywhere between 500 and 1000% safer when you drive on a motorway. That alone is worth the toll. That, and the reliability of knowing you won't get held up. The old road is windy and has no hard shoulder in places. Someone was killed on it three weeks ago around Durrow. How many people have died on the M8 since the new sections started to open in 2008? No one.
    For a car the toll at Portlaoise is 1.80 with or without a tag. With an Easy Trip tag the M50 is just 2 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Engine off.
    Sidestand down.
    Off the bike.
    Gloves off.
    Helmet off.
    Music off.
    Wallet out.
    Change counted.
    Pay toll.
    Wallet back in.
    Look back at poor pr!ck in the car behind who has been waiting a couple of minutes while you go through your little tantrum/demonstration
    Music on.
    Wave goodbye to the person in the toll booth who could not give a flying feck about your little routine, who is only trying to make a wage and has no influence on NRA policies, and thus on whom you have just wasted your tantrum/demonstration.

FFS man grow up. That sh!te only delays the rest of us, a bit like the twats who stop to have a rant at the person in the booth that the tolls are too high. If you have an issue then use this forum, or bikers.ie or facebook or something else to get a case going against the NRA, but STOP DELAYING THE REST OF US!!!!!!

(and yes I kinow this is 4 months after the OP)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

You're right, we should just lie down and shut up. We should be happy to be able to drive on a safe road. Never mind paying nearly 1000 euro per year to use the m50. Think of the time saved!!:rolleyes: I love that statement.
    I wouldn't object to the tolls as much if there was an alternative route that was designed to be as awkward as possible.
    If we lie down and quietly accept the existing tolls then we'll get shafted with loads more in the future. Do you want that? I certainly dont. All my earnings are flying out the door as it is.
    More tolls will result in less spending elsewhere. Scrap the tolls and the motor tax. Replace it with a suitable fuel levy so we ALL pay to use ALL the roads.

Is Boards pro-toll? Certainly looks that way to me.

bijapos wrote: »

:eek: Oops - I'd no idea I'd just bumped a zombie thread. *Backs slowly out of the forum*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I find that I'm exhaused at the end of the Dublin - Cork trip when I stay on the motorway. When I take the detour down the old road to Urlingford/Johnstown I find that the change in road "wakes" me up somewhat.
    I don't find it ads much to the duration of the journey either.

I don't do it to save money, I do it out of boredom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

FFS man grow up. That sh!te only delays the rest of us, a bit like the twats who stop to have a rant at the person in the booth that the tolls are too high. If you have an issue then use this forum, or bikers.ie or facebook or something else to get a case going against the NRA, but STOP DELAYING THE REST OF US!!!!!!

People being slow at the booth are really annoying. Thats why I use a tag and go through the free flow lane.

Perhaps you might like to do the same. ;)
    www.tagcompare.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'll be sure to turn around and give you a wave, thanks for the tip ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭seriouslywhat

I'll be sure to turn around and give you a wave, thanks for the tip ;)

Whats your problem?! What are ya 5 years old? Do you really think the guys taking a few bob from ya care if you take an hour or 2 seconds. No!! They dont. Sure its probably better for them if you take an hour as they only have to do one transaction. For christ sake grow the hell up, put your money in the basket yolk and move on so the rest of us dont have to be backed up because of your selfishness!!! :mad::mad::mad:
    If you dont like paying the toll protest some other way that doesnt involve innocent people who just want to get on with their day.

God it reminds me of the stupid taxi ****** that held up the traffic last year to prove some point or other. I had to get home to the wife and kids and instead got caught behind these selfish selfish people. Theres things in this world I dont like but I dont involve other people in my protest!

GROW UP.

Rant over.

Seriously.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Furet wrote: »
    :eek: Oops - I'd no idea I'd just bumped a zombie thread. *Backs slowly out of the forum*
    Sure, you didn't know..... ;)How did you find the thread then?

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Sure, you didn't know..... ;)How did you find the thread then?

By looking at a user's previous posts. A post in this thread was his second last post, so, without looking at the dates, I assumed it was a recent post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

shedweller wrote: »
    You're right, we should just lie down and shut up. We should be happy to be able to drive on a safe road. Never mind paying nearly 1000 euro per year to use the m50. Think of the time saved!!:rolleyes: I love that statement.
    I wouldn't object to the tolls as much if there was an alternative route that was designed to be as awkward as possible.
    If we lie down and quietly accept the existing tolls then we'll get shafted with loads more in the future. Do you want that? I certainly dont. All my earnings are flying out the door as it is.
    More tolls will result in less spending elsewhere. Scrap the tolls and the motor tax. Replace it with a suitable fuel levy so we ALL pay to use ALL the roads.

Is Boards pro-toll? Certainly looks that way to me.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but taking it out on another road user helps nobody. The biker above got something off his chest but it won't change anything. If you have an issue contact the people at the top, not those on the ground or the others who are using the toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It costs me to get from my house to dublin airport about 6eu. I dont drive there too often so i really dont mind. As its pure motorway: easy and fast.

But i do understand local people who are forced to yse tolled roads everyday to get to work. Arent there some monthly payment deal or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

Give it a few months and we will see an 80kph limit, round abouts and more traffic lights on the old road. :mad:

You got that right. Reminds me of when they started to charge for parking at dart stations. People parked outside on the road for years, then suddenly when the charges are introduced, well for "safety reasons" double yellow lines are installed for miles around.

"you havin' a laff mate".

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

Engine off.
    Sidestand down.
    Off the bike.
    Gloves off.
    Helmet off.
    Music off.
    Wallet out.
    Change counted.
    Pay toll.
    Wallet back in.
    Music on.

Here's my procedure, take bike up to lorry booth, normally on the far left, drive around barrier and proceed.

• Advertisement

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    Here's my procedure, take bike up to lorry booth, normally on the far left, drive around barrier and proceed.

Yea considering doing this, need to shrink my no. plate first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What's she gonna do, tell you to turn around and fvck off? lol

That often puzzles me, because whoever dropped the money still had had to pay the difference anyway to get through, so it should be none of the toll companies business who picks up the money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭seriouslywhat

Yea considering doing this, need to shrink my no. plate first though.

Shrinking your number plate to avoid a toll. :rolleyes:

With a bit of luck you'll be caught and then fined/arrested.

Does someone need a hug? C'mere big guy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

You're right, better off just covering it instead :D

bladespin wrote: »
    You're right, better off just covering it instead :D

Herroooo

article-0-09A6B1A6000005DC-107_468x344.jpg

Advertisement