Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OL Irish

Options
  • 28-05-2010 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

So, is anyone just not doing a stroke of work/thinking of not even sitting the exam for OL Irish? I'm doing 5 Honours, pass Maths and pass Irish. So I have to study like mad for my Honours if I want lots of points, then being as bad as I am at Maths, I have to study lots for it so I can pass (failed the mock) or else college restriction, etc etc which leaves me with Irish, the subject that won't be counted towards my overall points.

I haven't opened an Irish book all year (not for Christmas or the mocks) and frankly I'm not arsed! I love the Irish language and all but the Irish education system renders it so useless.

I'm thinking of maybe cramming in a few stories/poems the night before, or maybe just not even going!

Anyone else in the same boat? Bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I haven't done that much for Irish because I am just hoping to pass the subject. Don't study paper two if you are even thinking about studying for it. Paper one is worth a hell of a lot more marks than paper two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm not doing anything for it until the night before. Really doesn't help it's on the same day as Maths : ( It's my only pass and hopefully I won't have to use it. Might still get the A but I think my oral will bring that down a little. Not too bothered about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Ugh I haven't really done much for this subject at all. :(
    I really messed up in my oral too!
    Just gonna learn a few all purpose sceal and litir I think and my favourite poems and 2 stories for paper 2 and hope they come up! Im not using it for points but I want to do well enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

dyeti wrote: »
    So, is anyone just not doing a stroke of work/thinking of not even sitting the exam for OL Irish? I'm doing 5 Honours, pass Maths and pass Irish. So I have to study like mad for my Honours if I want lots of points, then being as bad as I am at Maths, I have to study lots for it so I can pass (failed the mock) or else college restriction, etc etc which leaves me with Irish, the subject that won't be counted towards my overall points.

I haven't opened an Irish book all year (not for Christmas or the mocks) and frankly I'm not arsed! I love the Irish language and all but the Irish education system renders it so useless.

I'm thinking of maybe cramming in a few stories/poems the night before, or maybe just not even going!

Anyone else in the same boat? Bad idea?

If you want to go to an NUI, you need Irish as far as I know. Check your requirements and for heaven's sake at least sit the exam!

MavisDavis wrote: »
    If you want to go to an NUI, you need Irish as far as I know. Check your requirements and for heaven's sake at least sit the exam!

Its a minimum of a OL D3

• Advertisement

unknown13 wrote: »
    Its a minimum of a OL D3

Hence, if the OP wants to go to an NUI, they can't just skip the exam!

And don't skip the exam anyway, an E or an F still looks better than a NG!

The OP has no choice to sit the exam if he/she has done the oral and besides OL Irish isn't that hard.

unknown13 wrote: »
    The OP has no choice to sit the exam if he/she has done the oral and besides OL Irish isn't that hard.

Of course you have a choice, you can just not turn up for the exam. You'll get a lovely guaranteed "NO GRADE" in August, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

It'd be pretty silly not to turn up since youve already done your orals

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

gotta say i love pass irish so easy (except for the listening!) litir and comhra are grand and paper 2 can be easy just learn bits of cearrbhach mac caba and fiche blian ag fas(which is easy because its about drink!) and you will b sorted! dont forget about the poems aswel !;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

im on the same boat as the op.:o
    dont no f all about irish,
    can some1 give me a list of the most likely things to come up in both paper 1 and 2,and where to get the information from.

You'll be grand, you get a lot of marks for the comprehensions and listening which you don't need to study for. Might as well do some work for the written and paper 2 and then you should have no problem passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Is this enough to learn to guarantee I wont be caught out:

• Clare and fiche bliain
    • Gealt, faoiseamh, jack and the one about the arann islands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

It was a bit silly at the time, not sitting the exam, I was just overcome with joy at the fact I'll never need to do Irish again. :D But Irish I don't even need, I'm studying at the University of Sorbonne (Paris) and as you can probably guess... Irish isn't needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

coughlan08 wrote: »
    im on the same boat as the op.:o
    dont no f all about irish,
    can some1 give me a list of the most likely things to come up in both paper 1 and 2,and where to get the information from.

Paper 1: Look at previous papers, question 1 is worth more marks (120) than all of paper two (110). Learn a few phrases, an introduction and an ending for the story. Learn the layouts of letters. Have a good stab at the comprehensions

Paper 2: Learn what you can, put down what you can on the day, its only 110 marks, no point stressing over it if you want to scrape a pass.

Tape: 180 marks, practice one or two of these. If you dont have past papers or cds have a look here: http://examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep&ty=e

Orals: Most of you have done these and have gone a good way to passing already

Advertisement