Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a router?

• 28-05-2010 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a wireless router for home use?
    I would like to be able to stream content from my home-pc through windows (7) media centre on my Xbox.
    Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Linksys WRT54GL

Flash it with a third party firmware (tomato firmware) to make it the most feature rich router you will find for its price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Doesn't that say "g"? Don't I need "n"?

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Doesn't that say "g"? Don't I need "n"?

Depends if your pc uses wireless n or g? Or if your xbox (360 i presume!) has the wireless n or g adaptor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Thanks,
    My PC has a linksys wireless N USB adapter and the xbox wireless adapter is the N one with the two aeriels.
    So, does that mean I can just go ahead and get any N router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Thanks,
    My PC has a linksys wireless N USB adapter and the xbox wireless adapter is the N one with the two aeriels.
    So, does that mean I can just go ahead and get any N router?

Yes, but buy a proper one and don't buy Belkin cos they're shíte :D

Get the Buffalo in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055922896

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Belkin are good, Ive been using them for years and had no problem with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

stevek93 wrote: »
    Belkin are good, Ive been using them for years and had no problem with them.

I setup a few hundred routers a yr as part of my job, believe me, they're shíte, can't trust them. We set them to dial pppoe every 30 seconds to keep a customer logged in, a simple job for a router, they can't consistently do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Ive only used 2 routers from belkin and they gave no trouble, had a wireless laptop card n1 think it was and gave me terrible trouble couldn't be 5ft away from the access point without losing it and the customer service is horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

anything linksys (cisco) is good in my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭simoniz

corkcomp wrote: »
    anything linksys (cisco) is good in my experience
    +1

Belkin not good at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

i was thinking of getting one of them Linksys WRT54G. i have a eircom netopia router. can i replace this with a Linksys WRT54G or do i have to use both of them at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Griffin87 wrote: »
    i was thinking of getting one of them Linksys WRT54G. i have a eircom netopia router. can i replace this with a Linksys WRT54G or do i have to use both of them at the same time.

You'll have to use both. The WRT54G is an "Ethernet router" and has no DSL modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    You'll have to use both. The WRT54G is an "Ethernet router" and has no DSL modem.

+1 im running that config and it works fine, you need to put netopia into bridge mode.. O/T but it looks like eircom are using zyxel routers now?

Advertisement