Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using an old oil tank cut in half as a garden pond.

• 28-05-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Ok, I can get an old but not leaking oil tank for free. Plan is to cut it in half and sink it into the ground as a garden pond. The experts say I'll never ever get the residue of home heating oil out of it. I know they're right, bit its a free pond, it could be so good......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

the water will always have a slick on it. no fish could live and i would doubt the plants that could grow in it are the ones you have in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

line it with plastic, double line it ;) Clean the tank really well with first with soapy water. Then use 1000G membrane.
    Will it work? Will any oil residue penetrate the membrane? I don't know..but Id try it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,619 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If its going to be lined with plastic and sunk into the ground, why use the tank?

I'm inclined to think that a deep, straight sided pond would not be the best for planting, it might be inclined to overflow and it would be a hazard to small children. Using it for a raised pond might be better (build in an overflow), build a wall round with stone or timber.

I think if you went at it with detergent you would probably get all the oil off it, then leave it for a few months, filled with water, and see you get any slick on the surface. We had an old plastic oil drum that was used as a water butt and there was no evidence of oil.

Advertisement