Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best estates in Balbriggan?

Options
  • 28-05-2010 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭

Moving to Balbriggan in a couple of months & have been browsing daft.ie to get an idea of houses. What estates, if any, should I stay away from? Are there any in particular that are exceptionally pleasant to live in? The only 2 requirements are 1) To be no more than 10 or 15 minutes walk from the train station, and also so it is easy to get on to the Drogheda road. Any help/advice welcome please.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Westbrook is quite nice and is out on the Naul road.
    Lambeecher/Bath road can be very nice as well especially in the more settled parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 horse10

balbriggan are you crazy?? go and look at the beach and come back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

horse10 wrote: »

Whats wrong with the beach?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

horse10 wrote: »
    If you can't be constructive, please do not post

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Moving to Balbriggan in a couple of months & have been browsing daft.ie to get an idea of houses. What estates, if any, should I stay away from? Are there any in particular that are exceptionally pleasant to live in? The only 2 requirements are 1) To be no more than 10 or 15 minutes walk from the train station, and also so it is easy to get on to the Drogheda road. Any help/advice welcome please.

hi stripysocks im five miles out the road in stamullen but ive lots of friends in balbriggan and the wife is from there.any of the old estates are pretty nice.the better halfs parents live in tara court and its a lovely estate the only draw back being the school run means its a bit clogged with cars in the morning as the schools across the road.tara cove is nice too and there both mear enough the centre of the town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Fancourt Heights, Hampton Cove, Tara Court, Tara Cove are all lovely, settled estates.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

General point on this thread - constructive posts and recommendations are welcome. However please do not take it as an opportunity to simply criticise certain areas and/or estates

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

I agree. That wasn't my intention at all. Just want to find out which places would be favourable over others as an outsider with no real knowledge of the town!

Would rather avoid morning traffic as much as possible with a commute northwards on the M1!

Found a few nice places on daft.ie but boyfriend reckons they're a bit of a walk from the trainstation - Baron Court and such!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Just my 2c, and I don't mean this in a patronising way at all, but the place you choose to live is what you make of it. It's important to choose somewhere suitable to you obviously but after that, a lot of people have chosen to settle in Balbriggan, and with a bit of work and effort it is very easy to get to know neighbours and your community. Having said that, I understand where you are coming from and maybe you are looking to settle in a place where maybe there aren't too many temporary residents so to speak as unfortunately people who are just passing through don't tend to respect the locality as much as the next person. On that basis I would recommend the following, all within 10 - 15 mins walk of the town.

Chieftains - Walking distance to Castle Mill, there are a good number of rented houses/apartments, but in my experience there are lots of owners/more settled couples and families now. It is now, in my opinion, maturing and has a nice feel to it if at times is a bit congested with cars on the narrow roads. It is nice and secluded in many ways though and is also serviced by the town bus service.

Clonuske - Another relatively new estate but again also a few mins from Castle Mill, again there are a good number of rented houses/apartments here, with lots of owners/more settled couples and families. This is estate feels more spacious in my opinion and again is also nice and secluded away from the town but still within walking distance.

Westbrook - People like westbrook I think as it's quite detached from the town and is much more spacious than some of the other new estates. More houses have front gardens/parking for example and the houses tend to be more expensive. I am not so sure I would like to live here myself though as it is a little bit too open if that makes any sense. I have kids though and enjoy having neighbours a bit closer to hand. Other than that it is a very nice estate, the only downside being, the main entrance now ajoins the main roundabout to the brand new shopping centre/Tescos being built just across the road. This has not made the residents happy!

Fancourt - This I believe is one of the most established estates in Balbriggan. Only a few minutes walk from the town, on the coast road as if you are heading to skerries. There are some beautiful views overlooking the sea and in my opinion feels like a very nice place to live. As it's one of the older estates, it would be very easy to ask a number of people living there what they feel about the area.

There are others i would recommend having a look at as well:

Chapel Gate
    Templeville
    Pine Ridge

All in all, the area itself is improving. There are too many take away places I admit, but there are now a lot more restaurants, a cinema, gyms, plans for a swimming pool, a number of options for long walks, different stretches of beaches, albeit if certain parts of the water have a bad name, loads of resources for kids such as karate, boxing, football, cricket, cycling, gealic, rugby, a number of different schools, including the newly built educate together. I think the area has lots of potential and given the council have invested a lot in revamping the area with new pavements, lighting, signage, charged parking, inner and outer relief roads, the whole area itself is much more pleasant to be in and walk around. Don't get me wrong, there are problems, like any expanding town, but I'm hopeful that the positives will outweigh the negatives over the years.

Wobblyknees: thanks so much for your indepth reply.

Just a note: I realise you make your home your own, and getting to know the people in the area etc, but every town has 'rough' estates. Where I currently live, there are estates that I would not like to live in - working class estates I suppose. I just don't want to go to Balbriggan blind & end up living in one of these estates, although often visiting a place/estate you can get a feel quite quickly as to its atmosphere & residents.

Thanks to everyone for those names, must log on to Daft once again and suss out a few places. Also, we are not looking to buy for the moment, just rent.

Wobblyknees, again, thank you so much for your detailed reply. It is very much appreciated :)

• Advertisement

Also, a name that was mentioned to me to avoid was Moylaragh or something like that - is this a decent estate with decent people?
    No offence to anyone who lives there - I do not know anything about this estate, just enquiring.

Wobblyknees: thanks so much for your indepth reply.

Just a note: I realise you make your home your own, and getting to know the people in the area etc, but every town has 'rough' estates. Where I currently live, there are estates that I would not like to live in - working class estates I suppose. I just don't want to go to Balbriggan blind & end up living in one of these estates, although often visiting a place/estate you can get a feel quite quickly as to its atmosphere & residents.

Thanks to everyone for those names, must log on to Daft once again and suss out a few places. Also, we are not looking to buy for the moment, just rent.

Wobblyknees, again, thank you so much for your detailed reply. It is very much appreciated :)

No problem at all. The bit about ending up in a place you don't like will depend on you to be honest. Go and have a look at different times of the day and week. You'll know quickly enough if you like it or not.
    Also, a name that was mentioned to me to avoid was Moylaragh or something like that - is this a decent estate with decent people?
    No offence to anyone who lives there - I do not know anything about this estate, just enquiring.

Moylaragh actually stretches over a large enough area. I would again suggest going to have a look. My impression of Moylaragh is that this was one of the first newer estates built and it was built in a hurry so the build quality of the houses isn't great. I get the impression they made there mistakes here and then moved on! I think Moylaragh is very cramped in places and quite poorly laid out, there is also an impression that there are quite a lot of renters or rent allowance families here, in much the same way as Cardy Rock. I honestly think people exaggerate these things though and again would suggest you go and have a good look.

Also, can't remember if I mentioned it before, but have a look at ashfield as well. It's a nice little estate. Most houses have front gardens, parking and there is a lovely large green space for kids to play. I like this as something as simple as a nice enclosed green allows kids to get to know each other in a safe environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

I'm living in Clonard Court since 2003 and I couldn't say a bad word about it ;)

Nodster wrote: »
    I'm living in Clonard Court since 2003 and I couldn't say a bad word about it ;)

Clonard court is off the road leading to the harvest isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Clonard court is off the road leading to the harvest isnt it?

It's off the road that leads to the medical centre. Maybe you're thinking of Tara Court?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

i have lived there for 3 years now and have had no problems,its close enough to town but quitet yet with lots of young families.:D

It's off the road that leads to the medical centre. Maybe you're thinking of Tara Court?

Yes, you are right, obviously. I would say both seem quite nice estates. And both are literally spitting distance from the town itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Templeville

I live here, love it,seems to suit what your looking for. 2 mins to drogheda road and bus stop. About 10 from the train station. Its nice and quite. Friendly enough imo.
    All the estates around castle mill, and there are some lovely ones, may be a little bit too far of a walk to the train, if that is really important to you. Best bet is to go and trial walk it yourself.

With regards to the beach, I brought my two small kids down to it tuesday, and was amazed at how clean it was. It really was spotless, credit to whoever is taaking care of that at the moment.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I live here, love it,seems to suit what your looking for. 2 mins to drogheda road and bus stop. About 10 from the train station. Its nice and quite. Friendly enough imo.
    All the estates around castle mill, and there are some lovely ones, may be a little bit too far of a walk to the train, if that is really important to you. Best bet is to go and trial walk it yourself.

With regards to the beach, I brought my two small kids down to it tuesday, and was amazed at how clean it was. It really was spotless, credit to whoever is taaking care of that at the moment.

I agree, nice place. In fact it's clear there are many nice estates in Balbriggan with the odd one or two areas which might put you off a bit for personal reasons but a million miles from some of the Dublin city ghettos of yesteryear!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 31Moylaragh

the bolt wrote: »
    i have lived there for 3 years now and have had no problems,its close enough to town but quitet yet with lots of young families.:D

I live in Moylaragh...... Am horrified you have been told to avoid us... there are a certain no. of rented properties on this estate but I would say that is true of all of Balbriggan....

Don't tar everyone with the same brush and don't believe all you hear.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 JimmyOats

Balbriggan is a nice to live OP.

I don't live in Balbriggan anymore but my wife is from there and I know the area well.

There are actually very few areas that I would consider dodgy. All of the modern estates are fine, though there may be build quality issues in Moylaragh (I think there is a thread on that somewhere).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

the bolt wrote: »
    i have lived there [Moylaragh] for 3 years now and have had no problems,its close enough to town but quitet yet with lots of young families.:D

I'd have to agree. Moylaragh is a nice area, it is close enough to the town that a short walk gets you pretty much anywhere. It is also right beside Dunnes Stores, the new Tesco / Shopping Centre to be finished before the end of the year and there are about four primary schools within a 5 minute walk from there.

For the most part, I see the outside of the houses are well maintained and there is a good mix of people. Generally there seem the be a lot of young professionals, families and the like living there - but I'm sure you'll see that mix in a lot of the commuter towns around the Fingal area.

While there are some areas in Balbriggan that the house numbering, road layout and naming scheme was thought up by a three year old with a box of crayons, Moylaragh is not the worst offender and is fairly easy to navigate to, through and from.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

I'd have to agree. Moylaragh is a nice area, it is close enough to the town that a short walk gets you pretty much anywhere. It is also right beside Dunnes Stores, the new Tesco / Shopping Centre to be finished before the end of the year and there are about four primary schools within a 5 minute walk from there.

For the most part, I see the outside of the houses are well maintained and there is a good mix of people. Generally there seem the be a lot of young professionals, families and the like living there - but I'm sure you'll see that mix in a lot of the commuter towns around the Fingal area.

While there are some areas in Balbriggan that the house numbering, road layout and naming scheme was thought up by a three year old with a box of crayons, Moylaragh is not the worst offender and is fairly easy to navigate to, through and from.

Hope that helps.

have to agree.Ive lived in moylaragh for nearly 4 years now and find the place fine.never had any dealings with neighbors and Ive never seen any trouble.Its quite most of the time apart when the kids are on holidays.

Advertisement