Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling in Carlow/Wexford

• 28-05-2010 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Can anyone suggest some good cycling routes in Carlow/Wexford for an absolute beginner who's aiming to do the Etaphe, something relatively safe where the road surface hasn't been completely destroyed by last winter?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Joxer_S wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest some good cycling routes in Carlow/Wexford for an absolute beginner who's aiming to do the Etaphe, something relatively safe where the road surface hasn't been completely destroyed by last winter?

Thanks!
    where u living cw/wx

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'd be hitting Mt. Leinster personally.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Joxer_S

Looking for a few routes for my brother, he's only been cycling for about two weeks now so Mt Leinster might be a bit much initially.

Just on the Carlow side of Bunclody but he'd have no problem travelling a few miles either

there is some nice spins from ballon back along under the mountain borris ,garryhill .bagenalstown ,the carnew to bunclody has some new tar on it . also killrush area has some nice cycling .

go into myshall over mt leinster back to bunclody also newly tared ,you know you want to .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

+1 on jwshooters last post. A nice ring there would be Bunclody, Kiltealy, Bagnelstown, Fenagh, Myshall, Kildavin. Don't do it the other way as I'd say the climb up at Ballymurphy would be a bit steep. I know Borris is steep but it's not as long as Ballymurphy.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

+1 on jwshooters last post. A nice ring there would be Bunclody, Kiltealy, Bagnelstown, Fenagh, Myshall, Kildavin. Don't do it the other way as I'd say the climb up at Ballymurphy would be a bit steep. I know Borris is steep but it's not as long as Ballymurphy.

if you turn left under the viaduct in borris it will bring you out to rananna with no climbs worth talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Good routes by jwshooter & Captain Havoc.

Also some nice spins from Bunclody in the Carnew/Shillelagh direction, maybe through Clonegal, Parkbridge or Ardattin.

Ballinastraw hill, especially from the Clonegal side would be a good place to practice for the bigger hills.

A small club has started in Clonegal, afaik most of the guys are newbies. If your brother is interested I will be able to get a contact number for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Joxer_S

Yea the clonegal club announced they were setting up in the nationalist but didn't include any contact details, that would be great.

Cheers for the other suggestions, just took up cycling recently myself, not in Ireland at the moment but looking forward to the Blackstairs when I do get home!

Advertisement