Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Gaming

Options
  • 28-05-2010 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey there,

I am looking to buy the n network adaptor for my xbox to play online, but after doing some searches have found that many people have problems connecting two xboxes at the same time, i have two xbox's in the house one (my brothers) upstairs beside the router with a wired connection and i want to connect wirelessly from downstairs. I have 15mb connection with UPC and a cisco EPC2425 router, if needs be i can upgrade to 30mb, but what ive read on other sites is that the adaptor is reccomended for use only on "N" wireless routers and from what i gather the one i have does'nt fall into this category, is this true?
    I dont wanna Shell out the cash on the adaptor if its a lost cause.
    Anybody have any experience running two xbox's this way, as you can probably gather im not very savvy on this stuff so any help you can provide would be much appreciated.confused.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

You might be able to pick up the old adapter a bit cheaper now - the new N one is only worthwhile if you have a wireless N router - the old G/b one you might be able to pick up 2nd hand cheap enough and to be honest I've never had issue with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

That seems to be only a 802.11G router so get the cheap older adapter as an 'N' one will make no difference speedwise.

One console can game just fine with 1-2M broadband so with 15M broadband you will have no problems at all gaming with two consoles. Most people who have problems with multiple consoles are probably bottlenecked poor enough broadband speeds / connection.

As one of the XBoxes is wired this is even better as there will be no contention on the wireless interface either.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JD81

Hi guys,

Thanks for the fast reply's, since posting this i have been informed by a friend that the adaptor is in fact backwards compatible on 802.11g and 802.11b networks to work with exsisting routers whilst also allowing you to upgrade to an "N" router, which makes sense as i was, as suggested going to go for the old adaptor only to find its mainly the same price and in some cases more expensive (amazon.co.uk) maybe as they are trying to phase it out? So ill go with it and ill let you know how it works, and good news it will work on 15mg, it would be a pain having to upgrade and pay out more money, but i hear xbox live is worth it!:D

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fairly sure the issue with 2 xboxes on same router is router specfic and not the adapter, think some games have issues with by default. check out the xbox forum may get more opinions tthere.

I have wired and wireless xbox working fine on a dlink 2640b

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

You could look into getting a product like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/devolo-dLAN-AVeasy-HomePlug-Starter/dp/B0014LGNMS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275112563&sr=1-1

It isn't restricted only to the 360 and will probably outlast the system too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Same set up and internet as as you OP with no issues.

Both boxes using the old adapter.

Advertisement