Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice

• 28-05-2010 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

My neighbour last week asked me to do a little job for him. He had a hole in his bathroom floor and wondered if i could sort it for him. I said i would and on inspection the floor was rotten. I had to take out the bath and toilet to remove the floor ( which was chipboard) and a couple of joists which were also rotten. I replaced them all after he supplied all the materials.Instead of the bath going in he wanted a shower tray but in, which was straight forward and i tiled up to the existing tiles that were there around the old bath.
    Anyway he paid me a few quid which was grand as i was really just helping him out but now he wants me to give him a letter head so he can claim his insurance.
    He supplied all materials and i was say a full day over the weekend. I never charged him any thing, iwas kind off hoping to borrow his ride on mower this weekend which to me was a fair swap. but what do i do about a letterhed.
    I am not self employed, I am actually out of work at the moment, but what is the likelyhood of me getting into serious trouble making one up.He also wants me to say the labour costs was 3 times more than he paid me.
    I don't won't to fall out with him but i don't want to get into trouble either.

any advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

would not get involved , what he wants you to do is fraud , your not a registerd company so by sending a headed letter your taking part in his scam, why didnt he get a proper company in to do the work if he was going to go through his insurance .then he has the cheek to ask you to put up the cost of the work , why didnt he give you more money for doing the job in the first place .
    this guy is a chancer , id stay away from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

soun ds like insurance fraud to me. he tryin to make some money off the claim . and pay you a few euro. i am sure there is other dodgy charecters only too willing to give a headed quote. but if this backfired i would not like to be you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you put on the letterhead what you actually did and what you actually charged him, I don't see any problem with that. Just say that you really can't put down any more than you actually charged. He can also claim for the cost of the materials. There'd be nothing fraudulent about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,619 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you put on the letterhead what you actually did and what you actually charged him, I don't see any problem with that. Just say that you really can't put down any more than you actually charged. He can also claim for the cost of the materials. There'd be nothing fraudulent about that.

If you are unemployed that would not seem like a good idea at all. Just don't get involved, and don't do any more jobs for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If you are unemployed and claiming benefit then doing what he asks could. I suspect, lose you your dole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

archippy wrote: »
    My neighbour last week asked me to do a little job for him. He had a hole in his bathroom floor and wondered if i could sort it for him. I said i would and on inspection the floor was rotten. I had to take out the bath and toilet to remove the floor ( which was chipboard) and a couple of joists which were also rotten. I replaced them all after he supplied all the materials.Instead of the bath going in he wanted a shower tray but in, which was straight forward and i tiled up to the existing tiles that were there around the old bath.
    Anyway he paid me a few quid which was grand as i was really just helping him out but now he wants me to give him a letter head so he can claim his insurance.
    He supplied all materials and i was say a full day over the weekend. I never charged him any thing, iwas kind off hoping to borrow his ride on mower this weekend which to me was a fair swap. but what do i do about a letterhed.
    I am not self employed, I am actually out of work at the moment, but what is the likelyhood of me getting into serious trouble making one up.He also wants me to say the labour costs was 3 times more than he paid me.
    I don't won't to fall out with him but i don't want to get into trouble either.

any advice welcome

Politely decline his request. Seeing as it's last week, you could cover yourself by mentioning the saturday work during your next sign on day. You'd loose a days dole as a result but are in the clear.

Definitely steer clear of aiding and abetting an insurance fraud -for both the wrongness of it and the fact that the "story" is paper thin. You've nothing to gain and quite a bit to loose

Advertisement