Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Pet Hates.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

When a person in an office of importance with something you're dealing with is so rude and arrogant that they won't reply to an email after 2 weeks and numerous emails despite how important something is.
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Girls are the worst for irrational "OHMYGOD I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING"/"I SO FAILED THAT EXAM" freakouts. (Yes, massive generalisation, but we all know it's true).

Case in point, I was with a girl in my class when we got emailed the results of a continuous assessment exam early last year. As she was opening the file she kept saying "oh god, I hope I passed, I just really hope I passed, oh god", but when she saw her mark (which was good) it was "Hmm, I thought I'd done a bit better than that..."

13-are-you-serious-face.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Girls are the worst for irrational "OHMYGOD I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING"/"I SO FAILED THAT EXAM" freakouts. (Yes, massive generalisation, but we all know it's true).

Case in point, I was with a girl in my class when we got emailed the results of a continuous assessment exam early last year. As she was opening the file she kept saying "oh god, I hope I passed, I just really hope I passed, oh god", but when she saw her mark (which was good) it was "Hmm, I thought I'd done a bit better than that..."

13-are-you-serious-face.jpg

I'm a girl...and I agree! I go to an all-girls school, and we're currently doing the LC. Christ the amount of swots going around saying they don't know anything OMG I'M GONNA FAIL OMG is so annoying. No need to panic the rest of us with your irrational blitherings!:mad:

Frickin hate when people drop their panic bombshell on you just before exams aswell. I could be perfectly calm, and BAM A1 idiot in my face freaking about how badly they're gonna fail, and it just makes me uncomfortable and doubtful about the test. Panic is contagious:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

The smell of vinegar.. ew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

When events are over 18s...I want to see James Vincent McMurrow and Fionn Regan, goddamnit. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭OopsyDaisy

When people just leave their towels/socks/pants on your floor when they're staying with you, and expect you to just pick it up and sort it...clean up your own sh#t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Probably not a gripe everybody can relate to. I hate how some people exaggerate the power of 'visual' proof or example in maths. They're handy sure, but they're hardly going to demystify a topic for many people that have trouble with formalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

People who worry about things, especially those who do it loudly and repetitively. It's just such a f***ing pointless emotion. As far as I can see, it serves absolutely no purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

People who worry about things, especially those who do it loudly and repetitively. It's just such a f***ing pointless emotion. As far as I can see, it serves absolutely no purpose.

You would absolutely despise me:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I hate when you want to complain about trivial things but have nowhere to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I'd like to reiterate - this time with capital letters to ENHANCE my DISGRUNTLEMENT - my LOATHING for the ABOMINATION of a liquid that is sparkling water, which is easily MISTAKEN for proper WATER. ANGER.

Eccentric capitalisation is also displeasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Bastards who rattle a bucket at your car window when stuck in traffic!

Like I'm supposed to pull my handbrake, take my car out of gear, get out & go rooting in my pocket for change

Feck Off!!!

That reminds me of the terror I always experience when pestered by beggars or charity people looking for money. I stick my hand in my pocket, try to find the smallest coin(s) and repeat to myself "please don't be a euro, please don't be a euro, please don't be a euro". Sometimes my hand emerges with a two euro and I'm crushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Couples who talk to each other in baby voices! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

People who're too messy, pick at their nails, chew loudly... I've loads ha. :/ ;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

People who get in my way while im cooking. I dont need your help!! GO AWAY!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

"I seen " "I were" "Ask = AXE" "Wif"

In conclusion I hate English people not speaking their own language correctly,

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Music snobs who think they're above pop music. Just because it's in the Top 40, doesn't mean it was created on a computer...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Top 40 Pop music which was most likely made on a computer. :pac:

/runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

People who support PETA. Especially the ones who know about their euthanasia policies in their shelters.

• Advertisement

"I seen " "I were" "Ask = AXE" "Wif"

In conclusion I hate English people not speaking their own language correctly,
    On a related and somewhat contrary note I hate when people get overly worked up because somebody is using non-standard English. This usually happens when somebody says something that is legitimate in their own dialect but doesn't appear in the standard form.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I hate when its hard to find english subtitles for french movies and youre left with trying to watch the film en francasi with very little of a clue about whats going on..

• Registered Users Posts: 38 GunRunner

People who judge others based on their beliefs and opinions. People make such a big deal when someone has an opinion that is considered unacceptable in society. People should be allowed to have their own views and opinions without being negatively judged by others, whether they're a neo-nazi or an IRA supporter or sexually attracted to Joseph Goebbels. If someone's a nice person, I like them regardless of their beliefs and views. I generally tend to hold unpopular opinions myself, and its so irritating when people try to make me change my opinions, or act as though I'm some sort of monster just because I think for myself, rather than being a sheep. I think people need to butt out and leave others think what they want to think.

People who judge others by how they dress. Once again, they need to butt out.

People who haven't a clue what's going on in the world. I mean, a girl in my art class asked "So if Michael D Higgens is our king, when will he get his crown?". Another girl thought that Bertie Ahearn was still the Taoiseach, and probably worst of all, a girl in my History class genuinely thought that Ireland was still in the UK. These are extreme cases but I think that, overall, teenagers don't know enough about the world, or history.

People who, when you say you don't want children when your older, tell you "ooh, you'll change your mind." FFS shut up. Are you inside my head? No, so f*ck off.

People with children in prams who think that they have the right to push/run over people in shops just so they can fit their prams up an aisle.

People who stand in the street, talking and blocking the way. And then when you say "excuse me" so you can pass, they give you the dirtiest look as if you've just killed their hopes and dreams.

Conformity.

Society in general.

I have way more, but I'll shut up now.

So it's okay for you to judge people for their lack of knowledge, for expressing their opinion about you, and for their use of public space. But someone who's gay, Jewish, a different race, or a supporter of any of these groups isn't allowed judge a neo-nazi, even though that neo-nazi's beliefs are judging them?

Kids these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

GunRunner wrote: »
    People who judge others based on their beliefs and opinions. People make such a big deal when someone has an opinion that is considered unacceptable in society. People should be allowed to have their own views and opinions without being negatively judged by others, whether they're a neo-nazi or an IRA supporter or sexually attracted to Joseph Goebbels. If someone's a nice person, I like them regardless of their beliefs and views. I generally tend to hold unpopular opinions myself, and its so irritating when people try to make me change my opinions, or act as though I'm some sort of monster just because I think for myself, rather than being a sheep. I think people need to butt out and leave others think what they want to think.

And referring to people as 'sheep' for having different/more moderate opinions than you isn't judgmental?

Namlub wrote: »
    And referring to people as 'sheep' for having different/more moderate opinions than you isn't judgmental?

I wasn't referring to people who have different opinions to me, I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion. By sheep I meant people who only hold a certain opinion because it is the norm, people who just go along with the crowd rather than actually thinking for themselves, and judge others who don't conform to these norms. If someone holds an opinion which is considered "the norm" because they have thought about it for themselves and that is genuinely what they believe, then I completely respect that.

Lawliet wrote: »
    So it's okay for you to judge people for their lack of knowledge, for expressing their opinion about you, and for their use of public space. But someone who's gay, Jewish, a different race, or a supporter of any of these groups isn't allowed judge a neo-nazi, even though that neo-nazi's beliefs are judging them?

Kids these days...

I am not judging people for their lack of knowledge. As far as I was aware this topic is about pet hates, and it annoys me when people don't bother to find out what is going on around them. I am not judging them as people, alot of the people I know who are like that are very intelligent, pleasant people. Also, people can think what they like about me, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just don't it is fair to treat someone in a negative manner just because you don't like how they dress or the opinions that they have.

About the "use of public space" thing, last week I saw an old woman being pushed into a rail of clothes in a shop by a woman with a pram that took up the whole aisle. Do you think that that's acceptable? I don't. I've also seen people who had to walk on busy roads simply because a group of people having a chat on the path refuse to move. I personally don't see how that is okay.

On your final point, people are entitled to believe whatever they want, but I don't think it's fair to treat someone differently based on their opinions. Like, for example I'm not a neo-nazi myself, but if I found out that a friend of mine was a neo-nazi, I wouldn't stop being friends with them because of their beliefs. I don't think it's fair to alienate just because they hold unpopular beliefs. And yes, gays, Jews, different races are completely entitled to think negatively about people who think negatively about them, that's only natural, but tats not what I was talking about in my original post. I was saying that people shoud be allowed to their opinions, regardless of whether or not they are "acceptable", without being ridiculed or treated like some sort of inhuman creature.

Saying "kids these days.." seems to imply that I'm one sort of simple child. But of course, you can say watever you want, being a mod and all.

yhkjDrfW4q50v9dvg3IfKzyQo1_400.jpg

(Incidentally, choking on popcorn is a pet hate of mine.)

Saying "kids these days.." seems to imply that I'm one sort of simple child. But of course, you can say watever you want, being a mod and all.
    I'm not sure why you're bringing up that I'm a mod, since I'm not giving out to you for breaking the rules, I'm just questioning your opinions.

Speaking as a mod if you think my comment broke a rule and that I'm getting unfair treatment because I'm a mod, you can always raise the issue with one of my co-mods. Moderators have to follow the site rules like everyone else. However bringing up rule breaking on thread is discouraged and the report function should be used instead.

Speaking as a user I think replying to what was meant as a light-hearted remark with a veiled accusation that I'm abusing my power, is pretty immature .

• Advertisement

I'm not sure why you're bringing up that I'm a mod, since I'm not giving out to you for breaking the rules, I'm just questioning your opinions.

Speaking as a mod if you think my comment broke a rule and that I'm getting unfair treatment because I'm a mod, you can always raise the issue with one of my co-mods. Moderators have to follow the site rules like everyone else. However bringing up rule breaking on thread is discouraged and the report function should be used instead.

Speaking as a user I think replying to what was meant as a light-hearted remark with a veiled accusation that I'm abusing my power, is pretty immature .

No, I was just saying that your comment seemed as though it was meant to belittle me. Maybe that wasn't so, but tats how it seemed to me. I was saying that mods tend to get away with more than regular users. I've seen people get banned for "lighthearted remarks" on boards before. It wasn't meant as an attack on you, and I'm genuinely sorry if it seemed that way. From my experience of boards, I do think that mods tend to get away with more than ordinary members, but I wasn't accusing you of abusing the rules, so I do not agree that I was being immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I was saying that mods tend to get away with more than regular users. I've seen people get banned for "lighthearted remarks" on boards before.
    From my experience of boards, I do think that mods tend to get away with more than ordinary members

This. Very true.

Not in C&H though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    Not in C&H though.

Nice save. ;)

No, I was just saying that your comment seemed as though it was meant to belittle me. Maybe that wasn't so, but tats how it seemed to me. I was saying that mods tend to get away with more than regular users. I've seen people get banned for "lighthearted remarks" on boards before. It wasn't meant as an attack on you, and I'm genuinely sorry if it seemed that way. From my experience of boards, I do think that mods tend to get away with more than ordinary members, but I wasn't accusing you of abusing the rules, so I do not agree that I was being immature.
    Sorry if my comment came across wrong as well, that's the problem with text some things come across as bitchier than intended.
    I know some forums are pretty strict and mods can act like dicks, but I like to think that this place is fairly laid back, even if that does sound a bit like I'm say...

Sorry if my comment came across wrong as well, that's the problem with text some things come across as bitchier than intended.
    I know some forums are pretty strict and mods can act like dicks, but I like to think that this place is fairly laid back, even if that does sound a bit like I'm say...

It's grand. :) I agree, although I'm not very familiar with this forum, it does seem a lot fairer than some of the others.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's grand. :) I agree, although I'm not very familiar with this forum, it does seem a lot fairer than some of the others.

My legacy is intact. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My legacy is intact. :cool:
    The C&H mods still have to wear weird hats? :p

Hate tha'! *

* Mild attempt to get back on topic ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I hate sh!t mcflurry makers. Good mcflurry maker people are a rare breed it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

"OMG that's sooo random"

When people say this or something similar it's like nails on a chalkboard! Your day wasn't random, the fact that you saw your friend in town wasn't random, saying something like "amazeballs" isn't random and your night out in town wasn't random in fact it was planned and thought out, which is, in fact, the opposite of random. :mad:

/rant :pac:

I dislike the way that 'best of' lists hate December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

The word banter or any of its variations

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

The expression, "Bud", as in "All right Bud" et cetera. In a word; awfull. :o

When someone say "It doesn't feel a bit like Christmas". I hear it every Christmas, even when it's non-stop Christmas songs on the radio, decorations EVERYWHERE, and a Santy on every street corner (ok I'm exaggerating here, but you know what I mean!). ;-)

DustyMan wrote: »
    When someone say "It doesn't feel a bit like Christmas". I hear it every Christmas, even when it's non-stop Christmas songs on the radio, decorations EVERYWHERE, and a Santy on every street corner (ok I'm exaggerating here, but you know what I mean!). ;-)
    What they mean is, "It doesn't feel like Christmas did when I was a kid" because no amount of Christmas songs and decorations will make up for the fact that they're old and cynical now.

What they mean is, "It doesn't feel like Christmas did when I was a kid" because no amount of Christmas songs and decorations will make up for the fact that they're old and cynical now.

Yes true. The thought just crossed my mind that maybe I'm becoming old and cynical! :(:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The phrase "A man has a _____" or it's derivatives, including "A man won't ____", "A woman will ____", etc, which seem to be popping up on my Facebook newsfeed far too often...

I hate the fact that there are people who take pictures of food they just bought. It doesn't make sense. People who do this are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

The human race in general to be honest... oh well except for all you guys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Queuing to get on a bus, completely blocking those getting off. I've now resorted to plowing straight through the middle of the pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

When Americans (or anyone else, but mostly Americans, American celebrities at that) say to people they barley know 'Love you guys!' :mad: Love is not a word to just throw around Goddammit! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Calendars which start each week on a Sunday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement