Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Pet Hates.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Another Pet Hate of mine: agressive athiesm.
    OK. We get the point. You don't believe in God. Neither do I! But let's face it, people have beliefs and we need to respect that. More specifically that means NOT trying to "convert" the religious, NOT posting "gods gay lol I think he's gay" on Facebook (yes, someone did this), or just being generally annoying.
    Yes, I also hate the religious trying to press their views on society, but that's not quite as annoying as some evangelical athiests I've seen.

Colm! wrote: »
    Another Pet Hate of mine: agressive athiesm.
    OK. We get the point. You don't believe in God. Neither do I! But let's face it, people have beliefs and we need to respect that. More specifically that means NOT trying to "convert" the religious, NOT posting "gods gay lol I think he's gay" on Facebook (yes, someone did this), or just being generally annoying.
    Yes, I also hate the religious trying to press their views on society, but that's not quite as annoying as some evangelical athiests I've seen.

I don't see why 'evangelical athiests' should be more annoying than religious trying to press their views on society.

To be honest, you don't have to respect someone's belief. Somebody said that we must respect someone's belief in God to the extent that we respect a man's belief that his wife is the most beautiful and his children are the smartest.
    I respect people. Their beliefs are irrelevant to my respect for them. I wouldn't say I respect their beliefs though. That's going a bit far. Why respect something you believe to be wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I don't see why 'evangelical athiests' should be more annoying than religious trying to press their views on society.

To be honest, you don't have to respect someone's belief. Somebody said that we must respect someone's belief in God to the extent that we respect a man's belief that his wife is the most beautiful and his children are the smartest.
    I respect people. Their beliefs are irrelevant to my respect for them. I wouldn't say I respect their beliefs though. That's going a bit far. Why respect something you believe to be wrong?

I took it as if he was saying we need to respect that people have the right to their own beliefs and tolerate them but we don't necessarily have to respect their beliefs.

Colm! wrote: »
    Let's face it, people have beliefs and we need to respect that.

Well I got the impression from this that he was talking about respecting the beliefs themselves.
    Really the only issue that anybody can reasonably have is atheists trying to force their beliefs on others, and that's an issue that's not exclusive to atheists.
    In fact, churches pioneered this. It's known as preaching in religious circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Gay people don't deserve equal rights.
    Women don't deserve equal rights.
    Some other group dictated by genetics don't deserve equal rights.
    Things that don't match up with what the bible says should not be treated as facts, **** the evidence and **** scientific advancement.
    Other people's sexual practices are my business.
    etc.

If you are religious and don't believe any of the above I can respect you, it doesn't guarantee respect, you still have to be a likeable person in general.
    If you believe any of the above (and there are probably others not listed, I'm watching House atm) then I will never respect your beliefs, nor will I respect you as a person, bitching about intolerance won't help, and putting it down to religion doesn't make it any better.

All major churches that I know of believe at least one of the above things, so don't ever ask me to respect them or their teachings.
    Likewise, don't ever ask me to respect a book that mandates the death penalty for homosexuality.

I now apologise if I'm being too aggressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I hate changing bed sheets. I love the feeling of getting into bed when the sheets are all clean and fresh, but god, putting on a duvet cover drives me insane.

I also hate people who think putting on the hazard lights on their car means that they can park anywhere. I can see you have your hazard lights on, idiot, but you're still in everyone's way and probably doing something stupidly dangerous too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

Why would you not respect someones believe?? I think you are confusing "respecting" with "agreeing with"
    If somebody says their wife is the most beautiful woman there are 4 possible answers (if we are using "wife" to mean "whatever someone believes") in my opinion:
    1. I agree with you - "Yeah, your wife is a roide. I don't know what I'm doing with mine.
    2.I respect your belief - "Good for you. I think the same about my wife."
    3. You should like my wife, Religon - "Really? I can understand why you think that, your wife is pretty-ish. But Religon is the most beautiful. You may not see it at first but she will make you life so much better where as your wife will leave you and you'll die alone."
    4.You should like my wife, Atheism - "HA! You think your wife is hot?! You are such a loser! Why would you believe that? She is a minger! Are you ****ing blind?! Being with Religon automatically makes you a ****ing loser."

Yeah...I like dramatizations.

Pygmalion wrote:
    Gay people don't deserve equal rights.
    Women don't deserve equal rights.
    Some other group dictated by genetics don't deserve equal rights.
    Things that don't match up with what the bible says should not be treated as facts, **** the evidence and **** scientific advancement.
    Other people's sexual practices are my business.
    etc.

I Don't and never ahve believed in any of those things. I used to, however be a practicing Christian and now believe in some form of god/higher power. I'm not asking you to respect me. It would, however, be nice if you would respect my believes (as I too would respect yours), and should we ever meet, not make snide comments about them or exclude me from anything because of them.

If I want to believe that there is a fúcking magical band of puppeteers liveing inside of the sun controlling us all, I will. There is no prove either for or against it therefore it could be true. DEAL WITH IT.

And if your belief is that believes which differ from your own should not be tolerated then there is one belief I cannot respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hdcott

When people who appear quite bright spell 'definitely' wrong as in defanetely aaarrgggghhhhhh!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Something I've noticed in recent weeks: People mistaking "taught" with "thought".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

When people who are in college, constantly refer to it as collage.
    So many status' on facebook are about people not wanting to go to collage, or about collage exams. Seriously it's not that difficult, if you're really bad at spelling, use a spell checker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hdcott

Perhaps they shouldn't be in 'collage' if they can't even spell??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

When people scrape their fork off their plates and it makes that screeching noise.
    It makes me want to scream.

Or when people throw litter out of cars infront of you.
    Can they not keep it in the car until they get home?

illiop wrote: »
    I Don't and never ahve believed in any of those things. I used to, however be a practicing Christian and now believe in some form of god/higher power.

As I said, if you don't believe any of those things it's fine.
    My problem is with people who believe those things and use religion as an excuse to get away with it, not that they believe in a god.

illiop wrote: »
    Why would you not respect someones believe?? I think you are confusing "respecting" with "agreeing with"
    No, I was making a distinction between 'accepting' and 'respecting'.

Using the term 'respect' to refer to something I believe isn't correct is slightly hypocritical maybe.

I think you're referring to showing a respect for people by not challenging their beliefs and trying to push your own beliefs on them, which is something I agree with. I have this kind of respect, but it's toward the people, not the belief itself.
    If I want to believe that there is a fúcking magical band of puppeteers liveing inside of the sun controlling us all, I will. There is no prove either for or against it therefore it could be true. DEAL WITH IT.

I see what you're trying to say buuuut we do have fairly conclusive proof against this. It's probably a bad example - we do know a lot about the sun after all.
    And if your belief is that believes which differ from your own should not be tolerated then there is one belief I cannot respect.

I'm going to assume you're just adding a point here and not trying to rebuke one of us for doing this - I tolerate all kinds of beliefs as long as the beliefs don't lead to actions that I cannot tolerate.

/End pointless_internet_argument

/End pointless_internet_argument

CamelCase > underscores tbh

Pygmalion wrote: »
    CamelCase > underscores tbh

Not cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

People who pass off other people's opinions as their own. Someone was talking me the other day and they were saying that they'd never drive a Porsche Boxster, that it was just for people who couldn't afford a 911.

Jeremy Clarkson had said the same thing, word for word, on an episode of Top Gear. Then when you pull them up on it, they feign surprise; "Oh, I've never seen that episode." You clearly have. You watch the show religiously and you are now quoting the exact episode word for word! :mad:

Just bulls**ters in general. The same guy is a truly awful bullsh*tter. He literally takes other people's storys and places himself in their place or makes them up as he goes along. No, your Spanish penpal from primary school did not die, another guy's in your class did. You did not have a puppy in second year who broke its leg and died of Rickets. I don't think you can even die of rickets, it's a vitamin D deficiency ffs. If you did have this dog, you would have mentioned him at the time, you'd boast if you got a new toothbrush, not to mind a new dog. When you got a hamster, you were going on about it for months! So no, this dog did not exist! F*ck off!

/very personalized rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Singers who tell you they're totally copped on and will be at every rehearsal in future, only to not turn up to the very next one because she "had to go to her cousin's house"

Die.

Singers who tell you they're totally copped on and will be at every rehearsal in future, only to not turn up to the very next one because she "had to go to her cousin's house"

Die.

But like, more importantly, is she hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Pygmalion wrote: »
    But like, more importantly, is she hot?

I wouldn't even really mind if she was.

I mean, if she's not gonna turn up, the least she could do is be hot....inconsiderate bitch...

• Advertisement

I wouldn't even really mind if she was.

I mean, if she's not gonna turn up, the least she could do is be hot....inconsiderate bitch...

To be honest I don't get where you're going with this, maybe pictures will clear my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I hate when the more aesthetically pleasing option is chosen over something with more practical use.

The above wasn't actually inspired by the above posts in case anybody gets that idea.

Davidius wrote: »
    I hate when the more aesthetically pleasing option is chosen over something with more practical use.

To be honest, the more aesthetically pleasing options tend to have far more practical use ;)
    The above wasn't actually inspired by the above posts in case anybody gets that idea.

Oh, never mind then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

It can't be applied to women you see because they can't do anything beyond sandwich duty.
    trollface.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Davidius wrote: »
    It can't be applied to women you see because they can't do anything beyond sandwich duty.
    oh,you have much to learn.*

People who can't accept how amazing their life is,you've money,close family,lots of friends and a damn good set up for life.

Please cop the fck on and don't whine to me about how terrible it is that you can't drink 4 nights a week or that you only get 20 euro a day in college,that's better wages than most people i know for doing nothing

and people who don't know the difference between an argument and a discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

those JML ads on tv.

they kill me inside...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

I hate when people go up to teacher's after sitting their Leaving Cert exams and ask them how they should have answered questions...fair enough if they're just curious, but some people know full well that if they get it wrong they'll just upset themselves an unnecessary amount...just my thoughts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I hate children who are loud, bold, sticky or dirty.

*shudder*

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

ohthebaby wrote: »
    I hate children who are loud, bold, sticky or dirty.

*shudder*
    Whereas conversely, I like my woman loud, bold, sticky and dirty ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Whereas conversely, I like my woman loud, bold, sticky and dirty ;)

128733470418286660.jpg

Advertisement