Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to study history???

Options
  • 28-05-2010 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

I'm using flash cards, Reading my notes and my essays... Just Reading them over and over. However I for some reason don't think I'm taking anything in? I feel good after studying it but I dunno if I'm confident that I have it learnt? I can't seem to remember my essay structures at all...
    Then again I did a test on anti-semitiam and the holacaust and scored 69%... I didn't study it at all either because had forgotten about exam and was like ****!! The fact that I did this well on the exam without even studying makes me believe I'm not putting enough trust in myself???

Anyone has paticular methods to study history??? Or am I ok tge way I am doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I divide each essay into paragraphs. Read the paragraph a few times. Close my eyes and try to visualise each point from that paragraph in my head. Open my eyes and see how I did. Repeat until known.
    Then do this with each paragraph. Repeat with previous paragraphs to retain them until you can visualise every point in your head.
    Repeat 2 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Wish I knew!
    Out of all my subjects I'm freaking out most for this one!
    I think its something to do with how much you need to gamble for this like in other subjects I just learn the entire course and that makes me feel secure but in this one you need to be selective and I get nervous about that like nightmare scenarios when my topics don't come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I'm only covering 5 for DD, 4 for USA, and 4 for sov and part... So OP is actually doing quite enough for those 2 books.

I'm only studying the most likely to come up. I'm worried about sov n part though because I'm doing Belfast during WW2, EC+broader, 1916 Rising and Cm ng... Will that be ok? And I really would love if someone had a sample answer for Cm Ng??? Something like what steps dis cosgraves goverment take to cosolidate democracy...?

I hear the history exam is catered around getting a B... and I hear with a decent project and answering the document questions (minus the contexualisation) you have passed the exam with 40%. the is just a matter of doing the other questions to the best of your ability. So if you got 10% in the rest of the essays your sitting on a B3.

I'm not sure how correct this is though... I must look at the marking scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

that's not true. If you get full marks in your RSR and 60/100 in the documents(less the contextualisation) and than 10% in every other essay (as you stated) you get 38%, not a B3!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

i think its full marks in the project and documents then 10 percent in every essay out of the available 20 percent for each fives you the b3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

Do you think this is enought to cover for the USA book?

- Advances in Technology + Moon landings
    - Religion, Mass Media and Higher Education
    - Collapse of Consensus
    - Changeing role of Women and Family
    - Vietnam

???
    Because thats all i know from that book, but i know it well

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Mwah wrote: »
    Do you think this is enought to cover for the USA book?

- Advances in Technology + Moon landings
    - Religion, Mass Media and Higher Education
    - Collapse of Consensus
    - Changeing role of Women and Family
    - Vietnam

???
    Because thats all i know from that book, but i know it well

I'd say so. Throw in racial conflict to be safe. Nice topic which would be easy enough to learn

Advertisement