Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jaguar XK8 and MPG??

• 28-05-2010 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭

Not normally two words that one would put in the same sentence (jaguar and mpg), but what sort of MPG would you think that youd get from a 97 XK 8 (like this one for exapmle). Ive tried google etc but not much luck it seems...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

20ish I would reckon :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Mr.David wrote: »
    20ish I would reckon :o

Sounds about right.... There's no such thing as a gorgeous sounding, economical V8...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Id be more worried about the person that owns that car puts it for sale with dice on the mirror!!

Not great id imagine, there is a few owners around these parts, but you know it won't be great but it'll be a nice cruiser and nothing beats a v8.

Id say if you think you can afford all the high running costs go for it.

That car will need love though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Its a car ive wanted since I was about 12, so its a case of trying to justify the 1500 per year tax and ridiculous fuel costs. Insurance is bound to be a killer too, as Im only 23.

@ cabrwab
    What do you mean it will "need love"? As in they arent reliable is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I thought you only changed cars a few weeks ago? :eek:

Nice motor, the XK8 BTW. What mileage do you do per year? If it isn't all that high, you'll be surprised how little you save with a 30MPG car compared to a 20MPG car.

• Advertisement

Ah I did - but I cant really settle on one car for that long tbh! I needed a manual car to do my test in and when I pass im going straight for either (a) an automatic sports coupe (like the jag I mentioned, or similar) or (b) a sensible diesel hatchback. (its a case of letting the head rule the heart or vice versa i guess)

I would only do 120 miles - extra urban - a week max, and then an additional 80 miles each way trip -motorway mostly - once a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

At max power,

yeah not the most reliable, but a V8 will always need a little extra love.
    I wouldn't know directly just with what i've being told.

But like all these cars if its got its service history and you know money was spent in maintaining it id say you'd love it.

but if your only doing make 200miles a week get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

no offence you did actually use google

i typed in "xk8 mpg 1997"

first result without going onto website gave me the answer
    just under 20mpg

and the xkr is 16mpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

robtri wrote: »
    no offence you did actually use google

Meh, everyone likes chatting about high power Jags!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Confab wrote: »
    Meh, everyone likes chatting about high power Jags!

very true...
    always wanted one of those xkr's

• Advertisement

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Ah I did - but I cant really settle on one car for that long tbh! I needed a manual car to do my test in and when I pass im going straight for either (a) an automatic sports coupe (like the jag I mentioned, or similar) or (b) a sensible diesel hatchback. (its a case of letting the head rule the heart or vice versa i guess)

I would only do 120 miles - extra urban - a week max, and then an additional 80 miles each way trip -motorway mostly - once a month.

When's your driving test? I hope you'll pass :)

A 1.8 manual Rover 75 is very easy to learn to drive in - it doesn't stall at all :)

BTW (a) is the better option. You'll never regret it :D

Test is on june 18th - its a friday lunchtime. Im actually doing the test in a fiesta, not the rover. I thought the rover might prove more difficult to do the three point turn and reverse-round-the-corner in.

Ah, I know I'll end up getting some ridiculously high cost to run luxury sports car but didnt want to look like too much of a petrolhead I guess. Need to at least give the logical side of things a try too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

I have a 97 XK8, currently getting 22.6mpg around town, and 26-30 on motorway runs, sometimes 34 if im good :)

Just a note - make sure it has had an engine replacement, as the 97-02 V8s had awful nikasil problems.

Mine is here - http://adverts.ie/223364

im liking the shameless plug :P

Gotta love it :pac: And it shows how important it is to have most of the updates on any car you get! I had to do all the Thermostat replacement, and pulley replacements , and if the car you get hasnt got them, it will be parked on the side of the road a few times.

Test is on june 18th

Best of luck!

But seriously (and I don't want to be an arsehole here or spoil your fun), you're already putting in offers for powerful V8 engined GTs while you haven't got a license yet? Have you checked how much insurance will be, can you even get a quote?

unkel wrote: »
    Best of luck!

But seriously (and I don't want to be an arsehole here or spoil your fun), you're already putting in offers for powerful V8 engined GTs while you haven't got a license yet? Have you checked how much insurance will be, can you even get a quote?

Point understood. (you do sound like the OH though :P)

I have been quoted €1400 for insurance on the Jaguar. Im also looking at a mercedes 250 diesel and was quoted €1500 (both quotes were based on me passing my test, and the 1 year NCB which I have). Those kind of quotes would be perfectly fine and well worth it to me!

I dont mind buying the car now and leaving it parked up for a month or two till i pass my test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Kersh wrote: »
    I have a 97 XK8, currently getting 22.6mpg around town, and 26-30 on motorway runs, sometimes 34 if im good :)

Just a note - make sure it has had an engine replacement, as the 97-02 V8s had awful nikasil problems.

Mine is here - http://adverts.ie/223364

I had a 97 XK8 a couple of years ago, I loved it to bits

I would have been getting similar figures to this although I probably maked out at 28mpg cos I couldn't not put the foot down

Looks like a nice car Kersh

I had a 97 XK8 a couple of years ago, I loved it to bits

I would have been getting similar figures to this although I probably maked out at 28mpg cos I couldn't not put the foot down

28mpg? That's way too good for an XK8 surely?

Not at all, most of my driving was Motorways and extraurban runs, didn't do much city driving

You could get around 34mpg if you were being conservative

• Advertisement

You could get around 34mpg if you were being conservative

Good god. Well that's the XK8 on my 'realistic petrolhead purchase' list :D

What's the fecking point buying an XK8 and trying to get 28MPG? A waste of a V8 powerhouse I say. After 10 years and 3 V8 petrol cars, I've averaged about 20MPG. With not that much city centre commuting. Sure on long runs even with a very heavy overtaking foot you'll do better than that, but overall you have to be realistic enough that having a bit of fun with it now and then means 10MPG (if that), not 30 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I really think that that car looks suspiciously cheap. Not scam-cheap but 'there's something seriously wrong with it' cheap. Make sure to pay for a good inspection if you take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

The XK8 is a fabulous car 25 mpg is achievable but thats missing the point. mine is a weekend car. It is a bit of a truck to drive at low speed, and like all Jags the steering is loose to say the least.

However to Glimpse this beast it is a beautifull car, Its a picasso, it looks like its moving parked. the V8 is quiet unless prodded then the jaguar comes out. this is a GT car and is pretty refined, and will allow you to dawdle all day long.

But get caught out on an overtake and push the peddle into the kickdown carpet, then its V8 will roar it's nose will rise skywards and your overtake is done. Game over then settle back to the effortless cruise.

Nigel Thorley does a book you and you jaguar Xk8 a must buy if you are thinking of buying one of these cars, as they are plagued by a lot of issues and you need to be aware of them before you buy ISBN 84425 224 8. They are a car not to be bought lightly but amazing value for money if you buy a well informed one. Join the Jaguar enthusiasts club in England, they are a huge help, and you get direct Access to Jaguar guru David Marks.

If you want a fast reliable car with no personality buy a bmw or a Mercedes, If you want a beautifull elegant gentlemans carriage that goes like stink most of the time buy a Bentley, if you want a cheap beautifull elegant gentlemans carriage buy a Jaguar, it goes link stink too ... most of the time, but its easier to fix.

I want a bentley, a Mulsanne will do, but for the moment the Xk fits the bill......mmmmmmm Mulsanne.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fuel economy, be it 20 or 25mpg, is a relatively minor factor in the overall running costs of this sort of car.

Consumables - tyres, brakes, servicing etc. are all expensive.

Fixed costs - tax and insurance are both heavy.

Nice cars still.

I really think that that car looks suspiciously cheap. Not scam-cheap but 'there's something seriously wrong with it' cheap. Make sure to pay for a good inspection if you take the plunge.
    Its not even the cheapest on carzone, and in real life ive seen one or two cheaper.
    The thing is they dont have the engine replacement (a real shock, I have to admit I didnt know the nicasil was that much of an issue) and I know for a fact its been sitting there for at least 8 months (i bought a fiesta at the garage 8 months ago and admired the Jag then too :P ). The cheapest XK on carzone with the engine replaced is c 6k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Go for it !
    Before you know it you'll have kids and the Jag will be feck all use, go for it, wish I had ;)

Fuel economy, be it 20 or 25mpg, is a relatively minor factor in the overall running costs of this sort of car.

Consumables - tyres, brakes, servicing etc. are all expensive.

Fixed costs - tax and insurance are both heavy.

Nice cars still.

This is true, there is nothing cheap about running or fixing this car

That said though it gave me more smiles per miles than anything I have owned since and if I could afford the running costs I would have one again in a heartbeat

keving wrote: »
    Go for it !
    Before you know it you'll have kids and the Jag will be feck all use, go for it, wish I had ;)
    I will do, think I gonna wait a couple of months though. Theres one or two that I have my eye on that are currently 1 or 2 grand more than I want to pay for them (Kersh's one on adverts included :P ) so Ill check back in a month or two and see if any of the owners will lower the asking prices in the meantime.

Incidentally I rang the dealer where the Jag I listed earlier is, and they seemed reluctant to budge from the asking price :confused: - its been there 8 months at this stage ffs.

EDIT: The cheapest one (5k) on carzone that was listed in Kildare last week is now sold, I only went viewing/tyrekicking it last week :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Mine has averaged 23mpg over the last 1000 miles. This was a mix of city driving and one long spin down to Kerry and back.
    I would say that 18mpg is about right for city driving and around 28mpg for a long spin. The best part was setting the computer to 'instant fuel' just before overtaking someone. Glanced down once I had passed to see 1mpg :D Also hit 99.9 mpg while freewheeling down a steep hill.
    Oh, and buy one. They're great!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭kurant

my Lexus LS V8 bigger and have averaged 11.5 liters per 100km mixed driving, which is vvery good ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Incidentally I rang the dealer where the Jag I listed earlier is, and they seemed reluctant to budge from the asking price :confused: - its been there 8 months at this stage ffs.

He probably doesn't believe you are serious.

Phoning/e mailing/texting will not negotiate a reduction. You have to turn up, in person, and duke it out face to face. Be nice but firm. He's dying to offload the car.

A ball of cash often makes a seemingly hard nosed negotiator just cave in.

p.s. Have you got ins. quotes?

He probably doesn't believe you are serious.

Phoning/e mailing/texting will not negotiate a reduction. You have to turn up, in person, and duke it out face to face. Be nice but firm. He's dying to offload the car.

A ball of cash often makes a seemingly hard nosed negotiator just cave in.

p.s. Have you got ins. quotes?
    It wasnt that he said that the price was non negotiable, twas the way he said it - almost laughing at me for asking!

What sized "ball of cash" would you reccomend :P

Insurance as I said is €1500-€1600 so thats grand (once I pass my test that is)

What sized "ball of cash" would you reccomend :P

Enough to buy it.

Enough to buy it.
    such as...

;)

• Advertisement

such as...

;)

The $64 question. Is it the car you have linked in the first post? What do you think it's worth?

They always say when buying a classic - buy the very best example you can afford and then put money away for repairs.

Reading between the lines - c. €3000 for tax/ins. on a €5500 car is a really heavy level of fixed costs. Running costs other than those will be heavy too.

If something serious went - engine/box/drivetrain, suspension, brakes/tyres or similar would the cost of repair break you financially?

There's a reason few early 20 year olds run such cars.

Think carefully, because if you make a mistake reselling an XK8 will be next to impossible.

OP - I wont be lowering any asking price in 2 months. Go buy the 6k one, and ill keep an eye out on the forums for your post about the thermostat housing breaking up, and the consequent overheating if you dont catch it soon enough. Then the plastic pulley will break, taking the serpentine belt with it. Then finally, if the chain tensioners have not been upgraded to the new type they will most likely break, taking the v8 with it.. Very expensive. Buy an XK8 very very very carefully. Going for the cheapest will end in heartbreak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I've never dealt with Declan Gill but have spoken to him a good few times through work and he genuinely seems like a really nice chap who tries hard - sure you know that yourself OP if you bought your last car from him.

Looks like a good enough deal to me and I'm sure he would take €4,750 face to face on a straight deal. Do you plan on trading your present cat back in to him?

From looking at his stock I would say a lot of it is priced to sell as opposed to sticking an extra 20% on top of what you would actually let it go for.

Kersh wrote: »
    Buy an XK8 very very very carefully.

Sound advice.

@Max Power1 - if I were you I'd organise for someone who knows these cars well to check the car over before you buy.

I wasnt just referring to yours Kersh, keep it at your asking if you want ;). Theres two in the naas road at €6k currently, a 98 and a 97 both with FSH and new engine/gearbox and both are around the 6k mark with dealer warranty. Might wait for a few months and see if either/both are still there. Also i'll be better placed to buy then anyway.

Lads it seems like you're trying to talk me out of buying a jag! Some petrolheads ye lot are :P On a lighter note, one of my all time favourite cars, the Toyota Carina E diesel is for sale at 300E. Might give up on the Jag pipe dream and keep on the sensible motoring!

• Advertisement

one of my all time favourite cars, the Toyota Carina E diesel

:eek:

I'm outta here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

My one gets around 15mpg in Dublin traffic and the best mileage it is capable of is 28/29mpg on a long run from Dublin to Limerick.
    Servicing and repairs are expensive.
    I've had mine for about 10 years and I still love it.

one of my all time favourite cars, the Toyota Carina E diesel is for sale at 300E

You just made Baby Jesus cry with that remark.

You just made Baby Jesus cry with that remark.
    Ah come on - the carina E is a classic! Ive wanted to own one and bring the mileometer to a million since I was about 12

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

Sorry if this a huge picture.
    A must have for the prospective secondhand Xk8 owner. These are expensive cars to run.
    The maintenance is not beyond a diyer though for the most part. Using it for low mileage and doing your own work is a must, unless you are rich in which case you would probably buy a new one.

These cars are cheaper than many of their same spec counter parts, there is a reason for this. A bad Xk8 will bankrupt you.

I am a Jaguar addict so this doesn't come easily, but they are very prone to many terminal faults. The floorpan is the old XJS with some modifications, they suffer gearbox, engine, suspension, corrosion, electrics, cooling, just to count a few problem areas.
    But if you are carefull and get a good one, what a car for the money eh ?

Advertisement