Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metalwork teaching

Options
  • 25-05-2010 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

alrighty - goin to ul next year... hopefully stayin in the so called classey plassey-its ment to be mighty craic :P ---would like to hear from somebody who did metalwork teaching?? pleaasse.. need to know what the course is like???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

A close friend of mine did metalwork, but he's not on here. All I know is he loves it, they all do, hard enough like, good few hours and ya have to attend compulsory labs like to do the practical stuff!! 1st year I think woodwork and metalwork all do the same stuff, so you'll be doing woodwork too, but then ya move onto metalwork in 2nd year!!

And I have just moved out of Plassey, best year of my life!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 10rooney10

JimmyMoose wrote: »
    A close friend of mine did metalwork, but he's not on here. All I know is he loves it, they all do, hard enough like, good few hours and ya have to attend compulsory labs like to do the practical stuff!! 1st year I think woodwork and metalwork all do the same stuff, so you'll be doing woodwork too, but then ya move onto metalwork in 2nd year!!

And I have just moved out of Plassey, best year of my life!!!!

thanks for the info jimmymoose! :P :) is it true dat the lectures start at 9am and go on until 6 in the evening? tink i heard that somewhere..? yea every1 seems to love plassey village! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Nope it's definitely not 9-6! I think ye have around 4 or 5 hours a day but I wouldn't be sure, something like 24 hours a week! It's long enough but it's grand, you'll soon know what you'll be able to afford to miss the odd time too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

You'll have around 20-30hrs per week for a teaching course I think based on a few of friends examples [woodie teachers]. Probably around 24ish I'd say. Your labs will most likely be compulsory though so you'll have to attend them. And it likely won't be an even spread either - you might have 6hrs on a Monday and then only 2hrs on Tuesday. The hours won't go in sequence either - you might have breaks of a few hours between lectures/tutes/labs. What that has to do with accommodation I don't know.... but yeah Kilmurry & Plassey ftw for firsties.

cson wrote: »
    You'll have around 20-30hrs per week for a teaching course I think based on a few of friends examples [woodie teachers]. Probably around 24ish I'd say. Your labs will most likely be compulsory though so you'll have to attend them. And it likely won't be an even spread either - you might have 6hrs on a Monday and then only 2hrs on Tuesday. The hours won't go in sequence either - you might have breaks of a few hours between lectures/tutes/labs. What that has to do with accommodation I don't know.... but yeah Kilmurry & Plassey ftw for firsties.

thanks cson!! ;) 24hrs isnt too bad anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

You'll likely spent a lot of time in the Schrodinger and Engineering buildings both of which are around 15min walk from Plassey.

;) anybody knw wat time approx lectures finish on a friday for the metalwork teaching course?!! ..... :):rolleyes: ?????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daithi_lacha

I was in til 6 every day this semester. 24 / 25 hours per week. most of your stuff will be in the schrodinger or the main building, with the odd education or maths lecture in the kemmy. better option would be kilmurray, tis closer than plassey to the schrodiner for all those late nights in the drawing office getting coursework done! During semester 1 I was in til 6 on a friday also with a woodwork lab... A great course but LOTS of work...

I was in til 6 every day this semester. 24 / 25 hours per week. most of your stuff will be in the schrodinger or the main building, with the odd education or maths lecture in the kemmy. better option would be kilmurray, tis closer than plassey to the schrodiner for all those late nights in the drawing office getting coursework done! During semester 1 I was in til 6 on a friday also with a woodwork lab... A great course but LOTS of work...

thanks for the info daithi- ouch though! haha ;) sounds like a tough course! ah suppose ud get used to it! i'll tell ya i wnt b in til 6 on a friday anyway (is that lectures til 6 on a friday or just your own work?) - i plan on been on a bus home back up the country at that time! ;):D a question for ya daithi - is there a high standard in technical graphics in 1st year or do they start of with basic stuff?... :rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moved from the accommodation thread. As the accommodation thread is called "Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)", it'd be cool if you kept in mind in future that questions about metalwork or any other course aren't really designed to go there.

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote: »
    Moved from the accommodation thread. As the accommodation thread is called "Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)", it'd be cool if you kept in mind in future that questions about metalwork or any other course aren't really designed to go there.

soorrrry sceptre - i take it ur the creator of this thread!!!!! :P haha! yep i will keep it in mind it'll not happen again ( don't worry! ):eek:;);) lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mr Tickles

10rooney10 wrote: »
    s there a high standard in technical graphics in 1st year or do they start of with basic stuff?... :rolleyes:;)

They go back to basics as they know not everyone went as far as Leaving Cert with Tech Drawing (now DCG). There are usually some support services on offer as well, generally set up by the students themselves were people get together and help each other out with portfolio work etc.

If your having trouble, you *WILL* need to get it sorted and really concentrate on drawing. It seriously is not a part of the course you can just wing. Each semester the classes get more difficult and workload generally increases, but its not like your thrown into the deep end.

As for heading home early on a Friday, it's not your lectures you have to worry about (although in 1st year, a few lecturers tend to take attendance) its your labs and tutorials which you really can't afford to miss.

But most lecturers always try and accommodate people that need to change lab/tutorial groups.

nioce! ;) thanks for the info mr.tickles! :P u make it sound like - ( miss a lecture and im f**kd! ) ah no.. suppose just keep up wit work and i b sound ! i aint stayn weeknds so the lecturer will hav to accommodate me! ;) bus home bout 3/4 every friday..?!!?!?!? is there alot of practical projects to complete aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gazzacarroll

I would also love to know more about this course as well as I am 99% sure that I will be doing it next year. Its my number choice on my CAO and I reckon I wont be too far off 460-470 (not cocky just worked my hole off nd extra points from maths included in that too) , I just have a few questions that I love answered from somebody.

Whats the names of books I will be needing for the course as I would prefer to get them now while I have the money to spend on them?

I think I might have only got a C3/C2 in my LC DCG, I did very poorly in the actually drawing part, Is the Technical Drawing part of the course mostly CAD or manual drawing?

Are the projects difficult?

Should I keep any Leaving cert books that I have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Mr Tickles wrote: »

If your having trouble, you *WILL* need to get it sorted and really concentrate on drawing. It seriously is not a part of the course you can just wing. Each semester the classes get more difficult and workload generally increases, but its not like your thrown into the deep end.

Well il be there. I have my place already.
    As for drawing. Is it a big part of the course? I only did it Junior cert and I was bad at it then. I may have done some of the test in pen:o
    I couldent tell an orthagrafic projection from a 2H pencil at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Well il be there. I have my place already.
    As for drawing. Is it a big part of the course? I only did it Junior cert and I was bad at it then. I may have done some of the test in pen:o
    I couldent tell an orthagrafic projection from a 2H pencil at this stage.

hi lad i've lived with woodwork teachers before and the drawing they do is above leaving cert standerd if i was you i'ed make sure to just go to all the labs becouse otherwise you'll spend hours doing drawings before you can hand up your portfolio .

as for your standerd of drawing just follow the rules(as boreing as they are ) and you'll be fine that's how i got through TG for the leaving cert anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

mayo_lad wrote: »
    hi lad i've lived with woodwork teachers before and the drawing they do is above leaving cert standerd if i was you i'ed make sure to just go to all the labs becouse otherwise you'll spend hours doing drawings before you can hand up your portfolio .

as for your standerd of drawing just follow the rules(as boreing as they are ) and you'll be fine that's how i got through TG for the leaving cert anyway

And How would one go about learning these?:o

you should be able to find them out from the notes your lecture will give you

take your time with the drawing's it has always helped me when i was doing them

also attention to detail is a key factor

you should be able to find them out from the notes your lecture will give you

take your time with the drawing's it has always helped me when i was doing them

also attention to detail is a key factor

mayo lad.. what do ya mean bout rules in tg?

mayo lad.. what do ya mean bout rules in tg?

there all set out in the britsh standerds for engineeering drawings

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:Suk5jejL1p0J:engineering.dartmouth.edu/mshop/pdf/introdr.pdf+britsh+standerds+for+engineering+drawings&hl=en&gl=ie&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjRVdN9xgTTQ18y4xgq_RhSD8qYl9xQlNWKALD8389Dj2xL2KdarZ7plId6jX2vOTqJ_R1AXxBUY6pkXns1TBCYZzuh0hGSbVnsMEEvcdXyvDMhQOt-OBtDuPf1XSsEERKzSAVI&sig=AHIEtbRMDTl0yGvSgytjuet3dKlySDTe6g

here are a few of them there are set out gide lines for every tipe of drawings you do

note the link brings you tho the americal version but the european and britsh standerds ones are very simeler

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

there all set out in the britsh standerds for engineeering drawings

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:Suk5jejL1p0J:engineering.dartmouth.edu/mshop/pdf/introdr.pdf+britsh+standerds+for+engineering+drawings&hl=en&gl=ie&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjRVdN9xgTTQ18y4xgq_RhSD8qYl9xQlNWKALD8389Dj2xL2KdarZ7plId6jX2vOTqJ_R1AXxBUY6pkXns1TBCYZzuh0hGSbVnsMEEvcdXyvDMhQOt-OBtDuPf1XSsEERKzSAVI&sig=AHIEtbRMDTl0yGvSgytjuet3dKlySDTe6g

here are a few of them there are set out gide lines for every tipe of drawings you do

note the link brings you tho the americal version but the european and britsh standerds ones are very simeler

Thats bad spelling for future teachers:eek:

bigpink wrote: »
    Thats bad spelling for future teachers:eek:
    note i am not a future teacher i am a future engineer and i don't need reminding that my spelling is crap I have my Dyslexia to remind me of that .:mad::mad::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I often make spelling mistakes so i just double check these days:)

if you fail education exam at end of semester 1......... is it true that you cannot go on teaching practice ????? :confused::confused::confused: also is anyone able to tell me what qca you would get for an A2 in an exam? ... cant find it.. or mayb its because i just dont understand it !!!!! :p

if you fail education exam at end of semester 1......... is it true that you cannot go on teaching practice ????? :confused::confused::confused: also is anyone able to tell me what qca you would get for an A2 in an exam? ... cant find it.. or mayb its because i just dont understand it !!!!! :p

the best way to get a answer for this question is to ask Aoife in the education officers thread .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

Hey, are you talking about the Primary School Experience? If you fail the exam, you can still do it as far as I know. If you miss it in Jan, you have to do it at the end of the semester I think.

hello again... just wondering what is the pass mark for the education exam which is worth 50 % of the total marks for the module (1st year) :D;)

Teaching practice or the Primary School Placement? I would imaging failing education in semester 1 shouldn't affect your primary school placement, although results aren't out yet I'm sure you'll be grand!

With regard to 2nd year teaching placement (4th years are done so I'm assuming this is what you mean) - All the guidelines are laid out in the Teaching Practice Handbook which is available online somewhere, or in the teaching practice office. There was a few going around in lectures too. Off the top of my head your QCA must be above 2.0 from semester 1 to proceed to T.P. I think there's something about having 2 or more deficient grades also.

A number of people asked me about this mid last semester and I looked into it and there was a bit of a grey area surrounding I-grades etc, although don't quote me on that!

Your best bet if you have a fear of failing semester 1 education already, is to have a chat with your advisor or just go to Seamus Gordon or Tom Geary!

hello again... just wondering what is the pass mark for the education exam which is worth 50 % of the total marks for the module (1st year) :D;)

just saw this... 40% I think..... although stop worrying and enjoy your week in the primary school! The exact figure will be in the module outline on the portal in Laura Regans folder from what I remember? :D

• Advertisement

just saw this... 40% I think..... although stop worrying and enjoy your week in the primary school! The exact figure will be in the module outline on the portal in Laura Regans folder from what I remember? :D

ah not worried atall atall!! :P just trying to work out if i might have scrapped through :p is that 40 percent out of 50 % in the actual written exam (HARDLY :eek: ) im in bother if it is haha

i was hoping the written exam would be about 20%/50% which is the same as 40/100 ;) therefore overall it would be 40/100 with all coursework and exam included..... ?
    :pac:

Advertisement