Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato plant problem

Options
  • 28-05-2010 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I hope somebody can help me. I'm looking after some tomato plants whilst the owner is on holidays. The plants are in a polytunnel, and I've been watering them every couple of days. Today I noticed some whitish spots on leaves of 2 of the plants. I took a picture and maybe it means something to somebody here? I have googled it, but can't make out whether it's fungal or not.

3D858D18863845419E928B22CE12D8FC.jpg

If there's anything I can do to get them back on the straight and narrow would love some advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it's the very lowermost leaves - I wouldn't be too worried as long as the top growth is healthy. If you think it's fungal, best to pick off the affected leaves.
    What a good plantminder!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

if you are watering the tomatoes at them moment direct the stream of water around the roots of the plant.

in the current heat the water droplets on the leaves act as a magnifying glass and burn the leaves.

if you water the top of the plant the droplets stay and cause the problem.

panic over,i did this before and wrecked loads of lillies and plants belonging to my parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Yeah, I think some water might have made it onto the leaves - a "helpful" allotment neighbour used a hose to water them a week ago, so that might explain the water on the leaves. I'll be extra careful watering them myself!

I was nervous that they'd caught a blight or a mold, but doesn't seem like it... I may remove the affected leaves today, when I go to water them.

Advertisement