Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't let the coward in your head, control the badass in your heart

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

I feel your pain. Tendonitis is a b*tch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

Tendonitis/Pec tear rehab day

shoulder complex x4

Seated DB Mil Press
    17.5s x15
    26s x 15
    32.5s x15
    37.5s x15
    45s x a few... turned into a complete bro-down compliments of the most atrocious (or best!) spotting ever. Def over 15 reps anyway lol.

Bench (medium grip)
    bar x12
    40kg x12
    60kg x12
    80kg x12
    90kg x12
    100kg x12

'how did they look?'
    - Slow, painful and uncomfortable
    'were they sideways?'
    - No

I'll take it.

DB Lat Raise
    10s (5x20)

My gf said to me last night 'I think you've lost weight' smiling as if it was some sort of compliment. Coming into the heaviest and possibly hardest 10 days training of my life it was the biggest confidence destroyer of all time :mad: Commence all you can eat fridays. Must have enormous gorilla deadlifting bloat!

You were looking skinnier in the gym this morning. :D

ferike1 wrote: »
    You were looking skinnier in the gym this morning. :D

Be careful man, typing might aggravate that really bad injury you're carrying :rolleyes: The ouchies is no laughing matter.. if you don't take a month off training/typing/moving arms in any capacity at all it might escalate to a full on case of the boo-boos

I can type with one hand. :P
    I think your slimness is contributing to your injuries, not feeding the muscles & tendons enough man. :D

• Advertisement

Deadlift
    60kg (3x5)
    100kg (2x5)
    140kg x5
    *belt*
    180kg x1
    210kg x1
    240kg x1
    *make sure testicles are securely attached*
    262.5kg (2x1)

Speed Deadlift
    180kg (5x2)

Barbell Row
    60kg x12
    100kg x12
    140kg x12

Lat Pulldown
    Pin 6,8,10,12,14 x12

Hamstring Curl
    Pin 12 x8
    Pin 16 x8
    Stack x8

Whopper session... Have only pulled over 260 on one occassion ever on the day i tested my max in late 2010. Was supposed to be a double but the bar rolled on my right side at lockout for some reason, probably in the region of 90secs between reps and the second single was stronger than the first. Ive a habit of touch and going my reps so probably better off with the two clean singles. F*cking delighted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

whens nationals again?

whens nationals again?

2 weeks today

COH wrote: »
    2 weeks today

Ace...ill be around so...

Scap work.. many scap work

Flat DB Press
    20s x12
    25s x12
    32.5s x12
    40s x12
    47.5s x12

Bench
    60kg x12
    80kg x12
    100kg x12
    120kg x6

Incline Bench
    40kg x12
    60kg x12
    80kg x12

Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
    Pin 4,6,8,10,12 x12

Singel Arm Seated Row (Wide/Narrow)
    20kg x10/10
    40kg x10/10
    60kg x10/10

Shoulder Complex
    10s x10/10/10
    12.5s x10/10/10

Cable Pressdown
    Pin something x20/15/12/10/8

Overhead Cable Extension
    Pin Something x2/15/12/10/8

• Advertisement

Squat
    60kg (5x5)
    100kg (3x5)
    140kg (2x5)
    180kg x3
    200kg x2
    220kg x1
    *sleeves*
    240kg x1
    260kg x1
    *knee wraps*
    280kg x1 (PR)

Bench
    60kg (2x12)
    80kg x12
    100kg x12
    120kg x5
    130kg x5

Incline Bench
    60kg x10
    80kg x10
    100kg x10

Flat DB Bench
    25/30/40/47.5/52.5s x8

Lat Pulldown
    (3x12)

Seated Row (Narrow/Wide)
    30kg x10/10
    40kg x10/10
    50kg x10/10

Lat Raise
    (3x15)

Cable Pressdown (Rope/Bar)
    5x10/10

Deadlift
    60kg (3x5)
    100kg (2x5)
    140kg x5
    180kg x2
    200kg x1
    225kg x1
    250kg x1
    *Decisions decisions...*
    272.5kg x1 (PR)

Speed Deads
    200kg (3x2)

About f*cking time. Delighted :D

Competing next weekend so?

Competing next weekend so?

Possibly, ..... with that in mind....

Bench (little finger on rings)
    Bar x loads
    60kg x12
    80kg x12
    100kg x5
    120kg x1
    140kg x1
    *Paused*
    140kg x1

Registered for the GPC National Powerlifting Championships in Limerick this weekend.

I'm slightly worried about the fact that I have only been in knee wraps for 1 rep since the last comp, and that last time I squatted using an 8foot bar in comp without wrist wraps I ended up messing my hand/wrist up for months. My pec is fúcking killing me and I'm not sure how I'm going to come in strength-wise having tested my squat and deadlift in the week preceeding the comp, but I don't care... I'll compete for the fun of it, open low and see what happens from there.

Game on :cool:

Good luck man!

Not that you'll need it!

ferike1 wrote: »
    Good luck man!

Not that you'll need it!

Exactly.. I need waaaaaaaay more than luck

Lat pulldown/seated row/reverse fly/ez curl
    3x20

Xtrainer
    Level - extreme
    Distance - unknown
    Time -... to call an ambulance

I <3 cutting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Welcome to fat camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Best of luck dude :cool:

GPC National Powerlifting Championships - June 23rd 2012, Patrickswell Powerlifting Club, Limerick.

I weighed in on Friday late afternoon at 98.7kg. Had a bit of weight to cut during the week but no drama as I woke up that morning at 99.9. Heaviest I had been this training cycle heavily bloated the previous saturday was 107.2kg so had been walking around probably around 104. Bloated up after the weigh in ... dioralyte and lots of water followed by McDonalds and three hours in Eddie Rockets with Daz, Drifter and L. Managed to insult everyone there, staff and children included. Daz also got stuck between 2 tables the athlete that he is :pac: Stocked up on liquids on route back to the hotel, made bits of the shop too by accident. Spent the evening forcing down a Dominos Mega deal and powerade by the litre. Too full for breakfast I spent the morning complaining, getting caffeinated and sh*ting around on facebook sitting in the hotels vibrating massage chairs. Hit the venue for 9.15 with lifting due to commence at 10.30. Began warming up for the squats at 9.30...

65kg (3x5)
    105kg (2x5)
    145kg x3
    185kg x1
    *sleeves*
    205kg x1
    225kg x1

Lifting began at 11am..

Squat 1 - 245kg - Good lift
    Squat 2 - 262.5kg - No lift :(
    Squat 3 - 262.5kg - Good lift

Disappointed I didn't get a chance for a monster squat on the platform, the 262.5 felt easy and I buried it on the final attempt.

There was a break after the squatting so spent an hour eating nature valley bars and powerade. Pec didn't feel great but not bad... began warming up at 1.40pm with lifting due to recommence at 2.10pm

Bar (3x10)
    60kg (3x5)
    80kg x5
    100kg x5
    120kg x2

Bench 1 - 130kg - Good lift. Close gripped it.
    Bench 2 - 140kg - No lift :mad: Technicality
    Bench 3 - 140kg - Regular grip - Good lift - Easy

LOTS of stimulants...

Felt exhausted at this stage. Had set my opener at 250kg and thought about lowering it but decided to strap my testicles on instead. The warm ups went
    60kg (2x5)
    100kg x5
    140kg x3
    180kg x1
    205kg x1
    225kg x1

Deadlift 1 - 250kg - Good Lift
    Deadlift 2 - 262.5kg - Good Lift (10kg comp PR :) )
    Deadlift 3 - 272.5kg - No lift. Locked it out but was hitched.. ah well!

Total - 665kg - (2.5kg total PR lol)
    Mens open <100kg open raw 1st place

I guess I can't really complain, I had intended on doing this comp last month with a token bench so to get within 7.5kg of my comp best is alrite. Gutted to have missed out on the 600lb comp dead.. that'll teach me to test everything the week before a comp, and the squatting felt strong. Qualified for the world championships in Slovakia in September, a comp that my gf has decided to pay for me to do for my birthday - so I guess I'm competing abroad for the first time and I literally can not wait! There's so much more there on the bench and squat, and by then the deadlift should be stronger too so given I stay injury free here's hoping for a 700+ push.

On a side note - These comps are filled with some of the biggest, loudest, scariest and most intimidating looking individuals you could imagine. I think that's a turn off for alot of people, but for those of you thinking of competing, or are afraid to, these same monsters are the nicest, friendliest most welcoming bunch of people you could ever hope to meet. Its not often your competition helps you before, during and after your lifts, pats you on the back when you do well and offers advice when you don't. I don't think its specifically an Irish PL phenomenon, but the Irish PL community f*cking rocks and I'm delighted to be a part of it. If you enjoy lifting you're doing yourself a huge injustice by not getting on the platform some day.

Thanks to everyone involved on the day - in particular Anita for running a flawless comp, and the lads from SFX Gym Drogheda for helping me out with my squat warm ups, knee wraps, and hand outs on the bench - solid bunch of lads.

Vids to follow...

EDIT

245kg Squat Opener..

262.5kg Squat - No Lift

Don't have a vid of the 3rd squat.. assume it looked the same, but deeper and easier.

Bench 3rd Attempt - 140kg - Good Lift

Deadlift 2nd Attempt - 262.5kg - Good Lift

Deadlift - the 600lbs that nearly was, but clearly wasn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Great Post! Very true points about the friendly monsters:pac::pac:

Rest up and keep yourself in one piece for Slovakia please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Well done warrior!

Inspirational stuff as always...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

I have never seen anyone look as scared as that poor Indian lad when you tried to break the shop.

Well done on lifting the things also.

I usually take a break after a comp then instantly fall apart and end up spending weeks or months getting back to feeling good... so I'm not doing that this time I'm just keeping things ticking over and training at ~65-70% for a couple of weeks

Bench
    60kg x12
    80kg x10
    100kg x6
    115kg (2x10)

Close Grip Bench
    105kg (2x10)

Incline Bench
    95kg (2x10)

Seated row/Lat pulldown/Cable pressdown
    (3x12)

Very sore after the comp but nice to get some blood moving again. Its going to be a good while before I do anything at all over 85% but I'm going to keep essentially the same routine going into the worlds. Its all on a spreadsheet... never mess with a man that has a spreadsheet and a clipboard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

So unlucky on the deadlift. Just the wrong shape and there was no way of straightening out without flirting with hitching. A cheap slippy bar and you'd have got it. Feckin power bars grip your thighs regardless of talc.

Solid comp. Fair play.

kevpants wrote: »
    So unlucky on the deadlift. Just the wrong shape and there was no way of straightening out without flirting with hitching. A cheap slippy bar and you'd have got it. Feckin power bars grip your thighs regardless of talc.

Solid comp. Fair play.

Cheers dude, to be honest I didn't expect it to budge at all...I knew the second I hitched it but figured I may as well finish it off for the sake of it. Next time I'll come in looking to peak on the day instead of taking PRs in training the week before. I'll also open much higher instead of leaving the last warm up for the platform. No more getting on the board, its time to really get after a big total. Shame you were unable to compete this time round all the same, hope the calf is recovering. There's a GPC comp in November in Dublin though so get a new bar, learn how to wrap your knees and get yourself ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

COH wrote: »
    Cheers dude, to be honest I didn't expect it to budge at all...I knew the second I hitched it but figured I may as well finish it off for the sake of it. Next time I'll come in looking to peak on the day instead of taking PRs in training the week before. I'll also open much higher instead of leaving the last warm up for the platform. No more getting on the board, its time to really get after a big total. Shame you were unable to compete this time round all the same, hope the calf is recovering. There's a GPC comp in November in Dublin though so get a new bar, learn how to wrap your knees and get yourself ready!

Yeah the bar is on the way. Calf is healed as well so all going well you'll have some actual competition in this weight class you're dominating ;)

• Advertisement

kevpants wrote: »
    Yeah the bar is on the way. Calf is healed as well so all going well you'll have some actual competition in this weight class you're dominating ;)

Dominating! ... I'm only keeping it warm while Sean Hoey is off training for the Mr Olympia PL comp, the guy has a 792.5 raw total :eek:. Also, VIS is finally embracing his inner fatness and stepping up to the 100s as well so it could be an interesting year as we seem all destined to meet on the platform, or in Accident & Emergency :)

reckless abandon ftw

Advertisement