Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't let the coward in your head, control the badass in your heart

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

COH wrote: »
    No, it seems my health insurance no longer covers me for them

Euromedic do them for a reasonable price as far as I'm told. Sorry to hear about the injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

Monday.. attempted some benching..
    Bar (3x10)
    40kg x10
    60kg x10
    80kg x10
    100kg (2x10)

Had to keep my feet elevated slightly in a step to avoid any arching or leg drive. I only lowered the bar to about an inch above my chest and paused it there to avoid any unwanted movement

Incline Bench
    up to 80kg x10.... misery!

Pec Dec :cool:

That left me in bits, I'm still in bits from it actually.

Tuesday - Arms

Enough said

Today - Shoulders.

Hundreds of lat raises followed by some depressingly light overhead pressing and some even more depressingly light chest supported rows.

Tomorrow is legs day - Not entirely sure what I'm going to do there but a billion bird-dogs and some seated calf raises sounds about right.

Doing plenty of mobility work every day, dry needling again this weekend, and will spend a good bit of time on an inversion table next week to get some upside down perspective on things.

Started dieting on Monday having read two of Kiefers books... I had them on my laptop for ages but only got around to reading them after reading about Brandon Lilly and Mark Bells experiences training using both. I'm not 100% sure what way its going to go I'm either going to carb backload or do the carbnite solution which is just keto with a 4-6 hour refeed on day 9 then every 6 days or so thereafter. Both call for a keto run of about 10days so I'm carb free until next Thursday evening. It'll most likely depend on training - if I'm still crocked there's no point back loading. Either way, no big squatting means no point walking around at over 100kg. In the absence of any meanigful training its good to have something different to stay focused on.

Literally could not be bothered putting up what a days eating looks like. Lots of coffee, lots of coconut oil, a fair whack of whey isolate, meat, nuts and broccoli etc. Exciting stuff... not finding it all that difficult at all so far. Took 4 site skinfolds, hip/waist/chest measurements etc. on Monday and a starting weight of 106.5kg as a reference point so I'll see how that changes next week sometime. Had a dexa scan a couple weeks ago as well so I know precisely how fat I got, I'm booked in for another one in a month or so too.

Looking at an MRI in the next fortnight, I'll figure out the extend of whatever damage at that point but given current mobility levels I'm keeping fingers crossed for soft tissue damage and a couple of months farting around hypertrophising my gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

In my experience of messed up backs, soft tissue damage is infinitely more painful than structural stuff so hopefully you just tore the jaysus out of something.

I love the situations a back injury throws up, they make for great anecdotes. Like the last time I had a Kevtastrophe I woke at 3am needing to piss and it took me and wifepants 10 mins to get me out of the bed. Then I got back to the bed apres piss and discovered there was no way to get back into it. I couldn't sit, couldn't lean, couldn't lie back. None of the conventional methods of getting into a bed were possible. I stood at the side of the bed gently sobbing for ages before we decided the only way was to give in to gravity and topple into it.

I also remember the way sudden changes in posture could provide unbelievable pain. Like even when you're mobile again. I remember going into a meeting after loosening up on the walk across the buidling and sat into the chair entirely too ambitiously. Pre-negotiation man-scream as soon as you sit down is a great sales technique BTW.

You'll heal quick hopefully. Get that first week out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

If you're doing keto, did you look into Duchaine's Body Opus diet?

I was looking at doing it myself, then I remembered cake and chocolate are deadly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I think by eliminating Dominos and Aussie BBQ daily, and hopefully cutting back on your Ben and Jerries consumption, you may be on your way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hanley wrote: »
    I think by eliminating Dominos and Aussie BBQ daily, and hopefully cutting back on your Ben and Jerries consumption, you may be on your way.

It will be all about the meat boxes going forward

Saturday - Upper Accessory
    + mobility
    Light Rowing and alot of triceps

Sunday - Swim - endless lengths of a very short pool

Today

Bench - Up to 150x1
    Incline - Up to 120x3
    Other stuff

A week without carbs and bodyweight is down and after a foggy headed weekend the energy levels have bounced back nicely. Still feeling pretty flat in training - The 150 was a complete surprise as even the warm ups on 80 felt heavy. First refeed on Thursday evening - there will be bloat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

A week without carbs and bodyweight is down and after a foggy headed weekend the energy levels have bounced back nicely. Still feeling pretty flat in training - The 150 was a complete surprise as even the warm ups on 80 felt heavy. First refeed on Thursday evening - there will be bloat!

You going to have a clean refeed of oats and sweet potato or is it going to be pizza and ice cream?

You going to have a clean refeed of oats and sweet potato or is it going to be pizza and ice cream?

Clean - Will be hitting up Shanahans for a feast to end all feasts

Clean - Will be hitting up Shanahans for a feast to end all feasts

How was the refeed bloat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How was the refeed bloat?

Have you ever seen an anaconda after it swallows a deer.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Have you ever seen an anaconda after it swallows a deer.

Yeah pretty much this... snake attempts to eat alligator and explodes

051006_pythoneatsgator.jpg

*replace alligator with dominos*

6 days until round 2... have decided to stick with the carbnite instead of backloading because 'training' at the moment doesn't warrant it. Feeling fresh as f*ck all the same

Saturday
    Seated Smith OHP
    >70kg x10
    All the shoulder+tricep exercises

Sunday
    Swim + 1 hour mobility/stability

Yesterday
    Bench - 140x5
    Incline - 120x5
    DB Press - 55s x8

Today
    Squat - 60kg (3x5)
    Front Squat - 60kg (3x5)
    Unweighted Back Extensions - (3x20)
    Supported GHR - (3x20)
    1hr Mobility/Stability

Bench felt great yesterday, pretty much zero leg drive but did not have to elevate my feet which is nice. Did two triples on 140 before hand before settling on a narrowish grip for the last set. Delighted to be back squatting today - been a long time since I was last excited about a 60kg squat... definitely plenty more there I'm sure but best not to tempt fate and I'm just happy to be back doing the movement.

On my shopping list of things that need vast improvement
    - My medial glutes are on strike
    - My adductors are tight to the point of feeling close to tearing off the bone
    - Lower hamstrings and Soleus are also incredibly tight
    - Hip flexors require hundreds of hours of hockey ball
    - I'm sure my pelvis is out of alignment again

Pretty easy fix across the board - all I need is a hockey ball, the grid and some patience.

On a side note diet is flying - Energy is high and training no longer feels like absolute misery. I'll have a look at the weight tomorrow morning... I'm Due another refeed tomorrow evening and to be honest I could quite happily leave it another few days. I'll be in Belfast for the weekend doing the Crossfit L1 cert, I don't know if I'll have access to the food I need so might just save the refeed for that.

If they try to make me do anything overtly retarded there's gonna be an international incident :mad: I am quite looking forward to it though.

I can't remember what else I did last week... lots of pull ups one of the days, possibly many curls

Did the crossfit level 1 cert in Belfast there Saturday/Sunday - Great weekend, stupidly worded exam though. Had some issues with some of their points of performance, elevated scap during OHP and a couple other things - but thought the whole thing was great to be honest. Fran crushed me...

Today
    Broad Modal Flat Bench Press - Up to 152.5kg x1
    Incline Domain - 120 x5
    Constantly varied Flat DB Press - 60s x5
    High Intensity Hammercurls/EZ curls (5x12)

Pretty easy fix across the board - all I need is a hockey ball, the grid and some patience.

How'd you figure all this out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Crossfit L1 of course

Pain, poor movement, compensation and ROM checkout tests

Trendelenberg test says do not pass go, do not pass 200 dollars. That and I can feel them screaming

They just hurt, when I squat even at bodyweight they feel close to pulling. Sumo stance is nigh on impossible - probably some scar tissue build up from when both sides tore a few years ago

Again, I can feel it - tibial angle during squat isn't where it needs to be to be comfortable below parallel and my heals really want to come off the ground etc. Low hamstrings feel tight - a bent leg raise is no problem but a straight leg raise I'm not even getting close to 90degrees ROM either side

That's just a given, they are tight as f*ck and will seemingly remain that way until I die, and probably cause alot of the posterior pelvis tilt I experience.

I can see this through during a squat, noticeable height difference of glutes below parallel, one leg 'longer' than the other too when on my back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Did the crossfit level 1 cert in Belfast there Saturday/Sunday - Great weekend, stupidly worded exam though. Had some issues with some of their points of performance, elevated scap during OHP and a couple other things - but thought the whole thing was great to be honest. Fran crushed me...
    If they are your only complaints about the course then that is a major positive.

If they are your only complaints about the course then that is a major positive.

well, that and the location... in another decade I'd have been running a serious risk walking around and getting lost in Sandy Row... f*cking sat-nav

Today - Very stiff so 3 rounds of...

P. Snatch x5
    OH Squat x5
    Squat x5
    Front Squat x5
    P. Clean x5
    OHP x5

with a whopping 30k

Squat
    Bar (2x15)
    40kg x5
    60kg x5
    80kg (3x5)

Front Squat
    Bar x5
    40kg x5
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg x5

Back Extension
    +10kg (3x10)

Poor Mans Reverse Hyper
    (3x10)

Some weighted ab work.

Heavier than I had planned on the squat/front squat - felt great, no pain. Body weight was 100.7 this morning... that's the lightest I've been in, ummm, ages. Doesn't even feel like dieting anymore - but looking forward to refeeding tomorrow or Thursday depending on what day I end up in the cinema.

Great to hear you're moving smoothly man :)

• Advertisement

Close Grip Bench
    60x5
    80x5
    100x5
    *Metal Black Slingshot*
    120kg x2
    140kg x2
    160kg x2
    *Remove Slingshot*
    100kg x15

Seated DB OHP
    Up to 40s x8

Lat Raise/Fish Bowl Pulldown/Face Pull
    (Loads)

Time to carb up - good times.

Thursday

- Lat Pulldown/Seated Row/DB Row
    - Mobility - T-Spine/hips/glutes/calves

Sat - Day off

Today - Arms day...

3 Rounds of 30kg x5 on....
    P.Snatch
    OH Squat
    Squat
    P. Clean
    Front Squat
    OHP

Front Squat (Clean Grip/Beltless)
    bar (3x5)
    40kg x5
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg x5
    120kg x5

Squat (Beltless)
    40kg x5
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg x5
    120kg x12

EZ Curls/DB Curls/Cable Curls
    (many x lots)

That'll do nicely, felt strong but still have alot to work on with regards mobility/rehab. Out tonight so diet is most likely going to go out the window but of you are going to sin, sin big.

Today

-Swim supersetted with steam room and jacuzzi
    - Hockey balled my hips into submission
    - Learnt about almond milk.... game changer!

Quite sore after squatting yesterday - feels amazing :) Opted out of messing up the diet for the sake of a session last night, hoping to drop under 100kg in the next couple days for the first time in what feels like forever. Looking at re-introducing carbs back into the diet soon, intermittent fasting would suit my eating habits nicely so probably look at that. Failing that - the retired wrestler fat cúnt diet is always an option.

Tomorrow I will attempt a muscle up on the rings... then bench til I'm using my pecs to stack telephone books

How did carbnite work out for you?

I'm thinking if doing it as others said once the first week is done its pretty easy and enjoyable.

How did carbnite work out for you?

I'm thinking if doing it as others said once the first week is done its pretty easy and enjoyable.

I've found it pretty easy really. The break from dairy, wheat and sugars has been a welcome one, definitely a plus not being bloated all the time. I don't think its the best diet if you are looking for a sustainable life style change - but it is a relatively easy way to kick start fat loss, reset insulin sensitivity and rule out allergies/intolerences.

Energy levels are fine in general throughout the day but I have found my quality of sleep has suffered a bit, I can't get back to sleep if I wake up early and I'm cold a lot of the time. The actual refeeding isn't as much fun as it sounds either, gluttony has a shelf life of around 45mins.. 8 hours is hard work.

Today

Bench
    60kg x15
    80kg x15
    100kg x15
    120kg x3
    140kg x1
    155kg x1
    120kg x10

Incline Bench
    60kg x10
    80kg x10
    100kg x10
    120kg x6
    80kg x12

Incline DB Press
    15.s x12
    25s x12
    32.5s x12
    40s x12
    55s x8

How long did the low carb headaches last?

How long did the low carb headaches last?

Eh, no idea - I kill off the headaches with coffee. Nausea, light-headedness, retard-headedness and lethargy the odd time though... but they can all be crushed with coffee as well. I recommend 'Union' (Strength 6)

Today - Rehab(ish)

The usual warm-up

Squat
    bar (2x12)
    40kg x5
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg x5
    120kg x5
    *Belt - for old times sake*
    140kg x15 ... that was unexpected

Front Squat
    Bar x5
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg x5
    120kg x5

Sumo Deadlift
    40kg x10
    60kg x10
    80kg x10
    100kg x10

Back Extension
    (3x15)

Standing Ab Pulldown (Heavy Band)
    (5x20)

Forgot how much I HATE sumo deads, but I can get into (and stay in) a much safer position with them. No hurry to add any huge amount of weight, I think the all time PR was 220x3, so yeah, really crap at them but something to start working on anyway. Squatting felt great, 140 was easy - although I admit that I was sh*tting bricks walking it out.

Today
    Chins - 5 sets
    Inverted Row - 5 sets
    Dumbbell Row - 5sets
    X-trainer - just because... 15mins of extremity... bleh

- I was due to carb up last night, but skipped it in favour of steak, boiled eggs, spinach and broccoli... I don't know who I am anymore :(

- Bodyweight this morning was 99.5kg though, lightest I've been in a long time and sub 100 is what I wanted from the diet starting out... feeling great. At my heaviest maybe 2 months ago heavily bloated.. like really really heavily bloated on a Friday night post dominos mega deal I stepped on the scales at 110.1kg... started the diet walking around at about 106.5... so 7kg in 4weeks while rehabbing an injury and doing no cardio or conditioning is a tidy result. Still contemplating IF going forward.

- DOMs from squatting yesterday are pretty severe and no ill effects from the increased weight or the sumo deads, loving every second of it. Basically everything is great, life is great, training is great, food is great, its sunny, I've had to much caffeine, and I have the rest of the afternoon off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Today
    Chins - 5 sets
    Inverted Row - 5 sets
    Dumbbell Row - 5sets
    X-trainer - just because... 15mins of extremity... bleh

- I was due to carb up last night, but skipped it in favour of steak, boiled eggs, spinach and broccoli... I don't know who I am anymore :(

- Bodyweight this morning was 99.5kg though, lightest I've been in a long time and sub 100 is what I wanted from the diet starting out... feeling great. At my heaviest maybe 2 months ago heavily bloated.. like really really heavily bloated on a Friday night post dominos mega deal I stepped on the scales at 110.1kg... started the diet walking around at about 106.5... so 7kg in 4weeks while rehabbing an injury and doing no cardio or conditioning is a tidy result. Still contemplating IF going forward.

- DOMs from squatting yesterday are pretty severe and no ill effects from the increased weight or the sumo deads, loving every second of it. Basically everything is great, life is great, training is great, food is great, its sunny, I've had to much caffeine, and I have the rest of the afternoon off :)
    This fitness log is dying.
    It's a far cry from the hub of activity it was a few months ago.

Can we merge Hanley's log back into this one at least? Both are covering the same ground only one is done shirtless and the other done in a constant state of injury. Most of the training these days in this fitness log is plain boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Both are covering the same ground only one is done shirtless and the other done in a constant state of injury. Most of the training these days in this fitness log is plain boring.

Commiserations Will you've just said the funniest thing you'll ever say. You've peaked

Advertisement