Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't let the coward in your head, control the badass in your heart

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I'm confused just looking at that pic, you are a hero

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

stuchyg wrote: »
    I'm confused just looking at that pic, you are a hero

mqdefault.jpg

whats this you ask? oh its just work leaving, show boating, energy explaining, hip distracting, hamstring stretching, explosion ignoring, scap stabilizing, lumbar deloading, gravity defying, pec stretching.. awesome kind of energy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

That's so legit.

So...

That being said.... I can summarise the past months training as follows
    - Pec remained f*cked from maxing out 2 months ago
    - Gave up benching
    - Hip remained f*cked from forcing ROM on sumos 2 months ago
    - Gave up pulling sumo
    - Squatting became pretty non-existant due to hip capsule imploding
    - Gave up trying to force squatting
    - Back compensated for wonky hips... back then refused to cooperate
    - Mentally quit powerlifting
    - Squatting then came good.. few reps at 220
    - Returned to conventional deadlifting .. pulled 200x10
    - Trained my arms 3 times a week - arms 18 inches
    - Got a pizza... mentally returned to powerlifting
    - Started benching a week ago or so, am weak... 120x8 :(
    - Pec remains 'iffy' at best
    - Addcutor went nuclear while attempting 1 all out max effort set of DB lunges
    - Had a couple of mental weeks where diet, or eating in general. pretty much went out the window. Digestive system staged an uprising against being forced to operate on protein powder and coffee
    - Realised retrospectively that I was intermittant fasting on a 20/2 type accidental template.
    - Benched 120x10
    - Measured arms.. arms still 18''.... unhappy, must get 24'' arms
    - went a week without training at all due to work commitments
    - Had to give up sleeping for a while
    - Bought beer, caught up on sleep after finding out I'm a HUGE lightweight
    - Caught a cold, gave up on idea of training for the weekend.
    - Girlfriend told me to stop being a fanny
    - Returned to some semblance of training determined not to be bullied by a 100lb female

So.... I'm back

Today

Squats
    Bar (2x10)
    60kg (3x5)
    100kg (2x5)
    *Belt/Rehbands*
    140kg x3
    160kg x1
    180kg x1
    200kg x1
    *Heavy Sleeves*
    220kg x8

Deadlift - Conventional
    *Double Overhand/Beltless*
    60kg (2x5)
    100kg x3
    140kg x1
    160kg x1
    *Belt/Mixed Grip*
    180kg x1
    200kg x1
    *Straps*
    210kg x5... handy

DB Stiff Legs
    (3x10)

KB Sit-Ups
    Plank
    Standing Ab Pulldown

From here on in I'll be squatting and pulling on the same day only once a week. Recovery and consisteny being the name of the game. Squatting today felt great - not an all time PR in sleeves but certainly close. Deadlifting I'm really just trying to consistently add weight and stop top sets a few reps short of failure/struggle. Undecided on competing for the remainder of the year, IPO Single Lifts in September and GPC Open is November but just going to try to keep training consistent and if the numbers warrant a return to the platform then so be it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Fukc the numbers and get on the platform at least once in 2013 regardless?

• Advertisement

I'd say he's competed enough to know when to compete...?

Hanley wrote: »
    I'd say he's competed enough to know when to compete...?

Fair point.

A couple of years ago I'd have said maybe yeah... token lifts/open light/just get a comp under the belt etc.

As much as I love the sport at this stage I'm really only interested in numbers. Big numbers. F*ck experience, I have that. I really can't afford to banjax myself again either - my ability to pay my rent is entirely dependent on my ability to demonstrate and coach these and other movements daily... So, if I'm going to risk destroying myself I'm going to do it aiming high. I want PRs and records. I want what I know what I'm capable of and I haven't showcased that on the platform yet... but I will, this year, next year, or the year after. Until then I'll train, and if I eventually lose on the day it won't be because anyone trained harder and it won't be to anyone other than myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Grab me next time I'm in and I can take a look at your pec.

Yesterday
    - Seated DB Shoulder Press
    20/25/30/35/40/45s x10
    - Upright Row/band pullapart (4x20/20)
    - Lat Raise (5x15)
    - Smith Machine OHP (20/40/60/80kg x AMRAP)

Today
    - Lat Pulldown >pin 16 x6
    - Barbell Row 40/60/80/100/120kg x10
    - DB Row 25/35/45kg AMRAP
    - Rack Pulls 60/100/140/180kg x5

Thanks to amazingemmet for pointing out I have the external rotation of an aging post box on the side with bogey pec. Next stop ART... Stretching ... possibly some car polisher if I'm feeling elite. Looking forward to squatting again this weekend will probably go max reps @220 with knee wraps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Don't forget your internal rotation too ;)

Yesterday - Arms.

Today

Flat DB Press
    25s x8
    35s x8
    45s x8
    55s x8

Incline Bench
    60kg x12
    80kg x12
    100kg x12

Bench
    60kg x8
    80kg x8
    100kg x8
    120kg x8

Quick sessions yesterday and today between clients.. Lets not pretend it qualifies as training, I'm really just messing around ahead of Saturday's squatting... I'll be requiring a spotter or two so if anyone wants to come and play the game of strength then let me know and I'll arrange free entry to Raw (Assume early/mid afternoon).

Let's finally do this. I have to do my own horrendous Smolov squat/Smolov Jr. bench session on Saturday AM but could get in to you by 1300/1400?

Let's finally do this. I have to do my own horrendous Smolov squat/Smolov Jr. bench session on Saturday AM but could get in to you by 1300/1400?

Ah, double smolov... I remember those days, doubled over in pain, cursing the next billion sets, questioning my faith in humanity as I slowly fell apart. Better you than me!

why don't you just squat/bench in raw?

A large part of my ability to complete these sessions (bear in mind I only have 2 of 12 done) is the fact that I have the entire gym (the old Informed Performance) to myself and can scream/cry/whimper/randomly lie down as I please...

Squats
    60kg (3x5)
    100kg (2x5)
    *belt*
    140kg x3
    160kg x1
    *rehbands*
    180kg x1
    200kg x1
    *sleeves*
    220kg x1
    240kg x1
    *knee wraps*
    260kg x2

Speed pulls
    190kg (5x2)

Good day at the office... not an all out 2rm by any means either. Had just forgotten about the misery of knee wraps! Its time to rebuild the foundation now and get after something big. Thanks to Hanley and Rob for the spotting and loading.

There was definitely a whole heap more in the tank there man, savage two reps.

Monday - Mobility
    Tuesday - Overhead Pressing
    Wednesday - Rhomboids

Today

Flat DB Press x15+Band pull apart x20
    10/15/20/25/30/35/40/45s
    Then 50s x20

Incline Bench
    60/80/100x5
    120x3... conservative effort

Paused Bench
    60/80/100x8
    120kg x2
    140kg x2 ... Delightfully smooth

Squatting Saturday... there will be knee wraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Loving your log atm!

Squats
    60kg (3x5)
    100kg (2x5)
    *Belt*
    140kg x3
    160kg x1
    *Rehbands*
    180kg x1
    200kg x1
    *Heavy Sleeves*
    220kg x1
    235kg x5

Deadlift
    70kg (3x5)
    110kg (2x5)
    150kg x3
    *Belt/mixed Grip*
    190kg x1
    210kg x5

Had planned on training yesterday but was too busy in work so just did some mobility and left the fun stuff for today. Squats felt great from the start for once, really quick reps throughout. 200 came up so quick it bounced up off my back at lockout and threw me off a little walking it in :D Had planned on working up to ~220 in knee wraps today but the way everything moved I decided to see how 220 felt in heavy sleeves. Blasted through it, decided on a top set of 232.5 in sleeves, misloaded it and ended up with 235x5 drama free. Not quite a PR, but pretty damn close for 5s... def 90% or more of all time levels for that rep range in sleeves.

Deadlifting continues to be a bit of a non-event, which is fine by me... I'd happily take a few months of consistent moderate pulling. As always when it clicks it clicks and there will be some nice numbers down the line provided I do the smart thing and stay patient. The 210 was easy enough and not too bad considering was pretty tired from the squatting, could def have gone 215/220ish today. Used straps to avoid any torque on my body and always find it really hard to generate tension from the ground in the set up using them, but c'est la vie. Mobility tomorrow... the usual mid week isolation bullsh*t and bench again Thurs/Fri for some paused work.

• Advertisement

Bench
    60kg (2x15)
    80kg x3
    100kg x3
    120kg x3
    130kg x3
    140kg x3

Decline Bench
    60kg x10
    80kg x10
    100kg x10
    120kg x10

Incline Bench
    60kg x12
    80kg x12
    100kg x12

Batwings (4x10)
    DB Row (4x10)
    Face Pulls (4x10)

Had no coffee this morning, and had no pre-workout stuff in my gym bag so I went looking around and found some 'hydroxycut elite hardcore' sitting in a press. It said it had about 270mgs of caffeine per serving, to which a laughed and took the requisite 2 tablets thinking 'yeah this might just wake me up a little' - 20mins later I left the gym convinced I was about to have an anxiety attack, pass out and probably die. That was 3 hours ago, I still feel like sh*t, and am still not convinced I'm going to survive.

They should probably say on the label that the active ingredient is 20,000mgs of the devil :mad:

You took THAT for a prehab sesh?!

No hydroxcut today... today is a good day

30mins mobility... am incredibly tight still from the weekends squatting.

Smith Machine OHP + 20 band pull-aparts
    20/40/60/80kg x15

Seated DB OHP
    22.5/32.5/42.5s x12

DB Shrugs + 20 lat raises
    42.5/52.5/62.5s x15

Triset - 5 rounds....
    - upright row 30kg x10
    - btn press 30kg x10
    - rev. Flys 10s x10

Functional.com....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

COH wrote: »
    ...found some 'hydroxycut elite hardcore' sitting in a press... not convinced I'm going to survive.

They should probably say on the label that the active ingredient is 20,000mgs of the devil :mad:
    Hanley wrote: »
    You took THAT for a prehab sesh?!

I'm afraid you're now not just hitting the retard button but rather you've just duck taped the button down into a permanently pressed state.

Waiting for next update where you repeatedly slam your limbs in the car door because you forgot your foam roller.

kevpants wrote: »
    I'm afraid you're now not just hitting the retard button but rather you've just duck taped the button down into a permanently pressed state.

Hey Kev....

F*ck you :)

Today

Close Grip Bench
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg x5
    120kg x5
    140kg x5

Lovely.

Deadlift (Conventional)
    70kg (3x5)
    110kg (2x5)
    150kg x3
    170kg x1
    *Mixed Grip/Belt*
    190kg x1
    210kg x1
    220kg x5

SSB
    65kg x8
    85kg x8
    105kg x8
    125kg x8
    145kg x8

Usually squat then do some deadlift variation (speed or moderate rep work) at the weekend but having pushed a heavy double squatting two weeks ago in wraps then a heavy 5 last week in sleeves it was either speed work (which I hate for raw squatting) or high reps in just a belt. So I said f*ck that to both options and decided to change the emphasis and get my conventional pulling back on track. Deadlifting felt very strong. Reps in the tank and back at ~90% of all time 5 rep max.

This could provide the basic rotation for the next 6-9 weeks of training..

Week 1 - Squat: heavy double (wraps or sleeves) + Speed deads
    Week 2 - Squat: for 5s in light or heavy sleeves + Rep Deads
    Week 3 - Heavy(ish) Deadlift and SSB
    Week 4 - Rinse and repeat

I am going to continue to mess around midweek with the rest of training, nothing mad, bodypart split. I know my bench is there or there abouts after yesterdays close grip training.... but the higher rep stuff has left me coming into each weekend feeling beyond recovered and eager to smash weights.

Took yesterday off to eat, sleep and recover as I was messed up with doms after the weekends deadlifting. Herself cooked up a batch of protein cookies... Im crediting them for todays training...

Bench
    Bar x20
    40kg x20
    60kg x20
    80kg x15
    100kg x12
    120kg x10
    130kg x8
    *rehband elbow sleeves/wrist wraps/belt*
    140kg (2x5) Paused - equals paused pr

Incline bench
    60kg x8
    80kg x8
    100kg x8
    120kg x8

30degree Incline DB Press
    25s x15
    32.5s x15
    45s x15
    57.5s x8

So the indisputable fact for the day is...If you want to be strong then eat cookies.

Mobility
    - Hips mostly

Prehap
    - Chest supported DB Row
    - Face Pulls
    - Band Pull Aparts

Exciting stuff... Z Z Z Z... Very tight after yesterday and have run out of magic protein cookies. Disaster. Looking forward to some heavy squatting this weekend - heavy double or triple in knee wraps and some speed deads. I have numbers in my head...

• Advertisement

Not training today so decided to work out instead... more of a social event then anything else... 5x(10-20) on the following array of wankology...

Barbell Row + Reverse Fly
    DB Row + Lat Raise
    Smith OHP + Close Grip Pulldown
    Low Row + Face Pulls
    BTN Press + Upright Row + Band Pull Aparts
    Lat Pulldown ... one big drop set

Everything super-setted with standing around talking absolute sh*te. Tomorrow I will do literally every bicep/tricep exercise I can think of then get my bloat on for Saturday squats/deads.

Advertisement