Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't let the coward in your head, control the badass in your heart

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

Conventional Deadlift
    70kg (2x12)
    110kg x8
    150kg x3
    170kg x1
    *belt/mixed grip*
    190kg x1
    210kg x1
    230kg x1

Hamstring Curl
    (3x8)

Curls/Lat Raise
    (2x15)

Well... that's my 'heaviest' deadlift conventional or sumo in over two years. That in itself is a disgrace, but on the flip side things are finally moving in the right direction and Im now excited to fix the pull in earnest after this comp.

Was going to go for reps, then do some back off sets but for once I wanted to finish a training cycle on a good note, drama free with zero ambiguity. The hard work is now done just have to hope that my pec settles down in time for next weekend.

Squat
    62.5kg (4x5)
    102.5kg (3x5)
    142.5kg (2x5)

Deadlift
    60kg (3x5)
    100kg (2x5)
    140kg (10x1)

SLDL
    60kg x8
    80kg x8
    100kg x8

Hamstring Curl
    (2x15)

Ab Pulldown
    (2x20)

Everything about 10 times harder then it should have been on account of a weekend in Kilkenny drinking and eating absolute garbage. Bloated to bits - may water load depending on what morning weight is tomorrow. Pec also still acting the c*nt.

Today

- Last heavy upper session

A) Skip training
    B) Go to physio
    C) Go to gym after physio and floss everything

A bit disappointed not to get another bench in ahead of nationals but pec is still quite sore so best to leave it, let it rest and recover then see on the day how it is for attempts. Ill take a token if I have to, all I need is any total to qualify for the comps later in the year.

Bodyweight despite being bloated to bits wasn't high enough to warrant water loading heavily so I'm just going to limit my carbs until Saturday morning and drop water Friday evening.

That's basically it!

A) Tiger Balm - Half Tub Each Pec
    B) Hockey Ball Pecs (10mins)
    C) Band Pressdowns (3x20)
    D) Band Curls (3x20)
    E) Band Face Pulls (3x20)
    F) Band Flies (3x20)

G1) Bench
    20kg x50
    40kg x12
    60kg x10
    80kg x8
    100kg x5

G2) DB Flies 4kg (5x10)
    G3) DB Lat Raise 4kg (5x10)

Armpit/Pec insertion feels like its made out of broken glass but at least now I know I'll bench 100kg on Sunday. No carb as of yesterday, drinking about 5 litres of water with BCAAs and will be on the money well in advance of Saturday and should cruise in from there for a sh*t total and a fun day out

Physio - Your pecs are a mess, take it easy for the next week or so
    Me - Well I'm competing this Sunday so....
    Physio - In what?
    Me - National powerlifting championships
    Physio - Jesus Christ

En route to see my chiro now. Leaving nothing to chance :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

COH wrote: »
    Physio - Your pecs are a mess, take it easy for the next week or so
    Me - Well I'm competing this Sunday so....
    Physio - In what?
    Me - National powerlifting championships
    Physio - Jesus Christ

En route to see my chiro now. Leaving nothing to chance :)

You will somehow injure yourself travelling to/from one of these physio/chiro appointments.

You will somehow injure yourself travelling to/from one of these physio/chiro appointments.

I have difene now... who cares :D

IPO National Powerlifting Championships - Kilmurray Lodge, Limerick

.... Or as Kevpants so aptly called it:

Operation Don't Die in Comeback Competition

Having cut carbs 3-4 days out I made my way down to Limerick early Saturday morning to weight in for 9am. I knew my weight was on the money Friday so had a few meals which I weighed and sipped on water everytime I had a wee. Came in at 96.8kg, the lightest I've ever weighed in for a comp. I usually skull some water and dioralyte then hit up every take away in the vicinity of the venue but decided to keep it simple this time around. Bought a litre of low fat milk, 2 boxes of nature valley bars and a few bananas and just made it my business to get through all that over the course of the days coaching (I had lifters on Saturday). Mixed up a 4 liters of BCAA, dioralyte and vitargo and sipped on that all day. Once the evening came around and all that was gone I had a burger and some heavily salted chips in the hotel bar. Lifting didn't finish until 10.30am on the Saturday so was later going to bed then expected but all in all was feeling pretty good.

I was in the first flight which was due to begin at 10am, being an early riser and a slow warmer-upper (tm) I went down to the warm up room around 8am to get used to the surroundings, double check my rack heights etc do a good bit of rolling and stretching before the warm ups and the usual scramble for posiition on the monoliifts. Was a little concerned that I felt pretty lethargic and not all that aggressive but put it down to nerves.

Warm ups for the squats went
    65kg (2x8)... extra reps to get used to the monolift
    105kg (2x5)
    *Belt*
    145kg x2
    *At this point we were told that lifting would be delayed by about 5mins so I got back on the roller and chillled out as I stayed lose and waited for the caffeine to kick in - which it didnt!*
    145kg x1.... just to keep the hips open
    165kg x1
    *sleeves*
    185kg x1
    205kg x1.... felt unsteady
    *heavy sleeves*
    215kg x1.... rough

Had bout 10mins to get my sh*t together from there... VIS VIRES wrapped me up for the opener 2 people out. Timing could not have been more on the money which is more then I can say about my opener...

Attempt 1 - 230kg xF .... F*CK MY LIFE. Took it about 6-8 inches lower then I had squatted in training, rocked forward coming out of the hole as a result and lost the c*nting bar forwards. Bad start.
    Attempt 2 - 230kg x Good Lift. Still took it far too deep and decided to play it safe on the third depsite every fibre of my being saying to go 250+
    Attempt 3 - 240kg x Good Lift. No drama, easiest rep of the day by a mile.

Had to laugh at myself and remind myself that I was in this to get my feet wet and wasnt chasing PRs, but still, missing an opener I had done for 5 reps in training three weeks previously was not part of the script. Went back up to my hotel room and got an ice pack on my back knowing I had a couple hours before benching began.

As anyone that reads this log knows my right pec had been acting up somewhat the past few weeks so wasn't planning anything big here, just get something on the board and not tear anything. Warm ups went

Bar (2x20)
    70kg x10
    90kg x8
    110kg x3
    120kg x1
    *Had set my opener at 130 so as not to completely embarrass mysef*
    130kg x1 - Just to be sure. Flew up.

Attempt 1 - 130kg x Good Lift. Took it a bit slow. Debated passing on a second attempt.
    Attempt 2 - 140kg x Good Lift. Said f*ck it and sunk the b*stard.
    Attempt 3 - 150kg x Good Lift (Comp PR @ <100kg)... who would have thought :pac: Like the 140 I took it quick, sunk it and heaved it. Hip moved on the right side but got 2 whites and a nice confidence boost.

Had another couple hours off. At this stage I had a pounding headache, the warm up room was roasting and despite levelling in fluids I couldnt get comfortable. Had my first can of red bull in about two years and promptly fell asleep for about 10mins.

Plan was to always pull a token deadlift to secure a PR and qualify for the WPU worlds later in the year. Had intended on opening at 190, but said 200 when I weighed in. Warm ups went

70kg (2x8)
    110kg x5
    150kg x3
    170kg x1
    *belt/mixed grip*
    190kg x1

At this point I knew that I needed 210 for a 600 total and knowing that I still had 10-15mins to go until my flight started I changed my opener to 210 to give myself another warm up and then a first attempt for the total I had earmarked.

200kg x1... no problems.

I was first up in my flight - how embarrassing!

Attempt 1 - 210kg x Good Lift
    Attempt 2 - 227.5kg x Good Lift. I knew his would be enough to move ahead of the guy in front of me if he missed his second attempts. Which he didnt. He went 240kg, so I went to 242.5.
    Attempt 3 - 242.5kg x No Lift. Just didn't commit to it and it didn't budge.

I questioned myself about even attempting it so I had pretty much lost the battle before I stepped up to pull it anyway. Thee other fella blasted 250 anyway so wouldn't have made a difference anyway thank god. Head wuld have been wrecked! I'm calling it a PR by default though because its the first time I've failed a conventional deadlift without injuring something in well over two years.

Finished with 617.5kg and third aka last in the mens open 100kg. They gave out cookies with the medlas though so it was all worthwhile, I love cookies! I'm just going to copy and paste the facebook recap....

Vid of the 240/150/227.5 here....

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153138994404641&set=vb.607124640&type=2&theater

And.....
    Not my best day, but by far the most fun I've ever had a meet and marks the end of a two and a half year absence from competition.
    While I'm in no way happy with the numbers (and dont believe in celebrating mediocrity) but its a total I'm prouder of than any others to date as the prep began two years ago on a trolley in A&E when I lay there unable to walk and unsure if I'd ever make it back here.
    Thanks to everyone involved in a fantastic weekend. Was so great to meet some old friends and put faces to familiar names in the growing Irish strength community. Pack of f*cking legends every one of you. Special shout out to Elysia Doody my long suffering and ever supportive girlfriend who instead of telling me to move on demanded that I strap my f*cking balls on and get my ass back on the platform.
    Now for a pint and then back to the drawing board to begin prep for more comps and bigger lifts later in the year

Having had a day to reflect I know what I want, what I expect of myself and what I am capable of. So.... I''m not going to wait for the worlds and am going to compete again in the Battle of the Boyne in 16 weeks.

Long story short...

I'M BACK

• Registered Users Posts: 36,339 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Superb write up. Inspirational log, some journey back from that injury.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Superb write up. Inspirational log, some journey back from that injury.

Cheers man :)

Today - Week 1 Day 1
    A) Squat
    Bar (2x15)
    60kg (2x5)
    100kg x5
    130kg (5x8)

B) Speed Deadlift (Conventional)
    60kg (2x5)
    100kg x5
    130kg x3
    155kg (8x3)

C) Seated OHP
    20kg x10
    30kg x10
    40kg x10
    50kg x10
    60kg x10

D1) Lat Pulldown
    (x20,15,12,10,8)

D2) Tricep Pressdown
    (x20,15,12,10,8)

Very sore after the comp. Fire in the blood for the Battle of the Boyne in July.

• Advertisement

New toy! Inversion table to help decompress after the heavy squat and deadlift sessions over the next few months...

#EliteKitchenPerformance
    #UpsideDownPowerJesus

11113576_10153144185119641_5576658423931820785_n.jpg?oh=b85ab50ffe2446fea471b9490867f242&oe=559C8D83

• Registered Users Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

#UpsideDownPowerJesus

11113576_10153144185119641_5576658423931820785_n.jpg?oh=b85ab50ffe2446fea471b9490867f242&oe=559C8D83

50 Shades Of Pray

50 Shades Of Gains

FYP

A) SSB
    Bar (2x10)
    65kg (2x5)
    105kg x3
    125kg x12
    135kg x12

B) 6 Inch Block Pull - aka 'the dead zone'
    60kg (2x5)
    100kg x5
    140kg x5
    180kg x5
    190kg x5

C) Split Squat
    (4x8/8)

D) Single Arm Row
    (4x10)

E) Curls
    (2x20)

Currently updating this while hanging upside down in my kitchen. Amazing!

Was very DOMS'd coming into this session and getting worse by the hour so figured best to get it done before breakfast as Ill be written off by this evening. SSB was tiring and the block pulls were sluggish pulling from my worst position dead stop. Some single leg work because Ive been neglecting it in general.

Could have pushed harder on everything but now is not the time for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Did you consider Gravity Boots for decompression?
    I was looking at a pair since I dont have space for a kinky inversion table

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The below items are good for decompression and its likely you already posses one or teh other.

chair-04.jpg

modern-platform-beds.jpg

Inversion is **** tbh

Inversion is **** tbh

I've found that creating lumbar traction has helped manage back pain etc over the past few years, be it with bands, hanging from a pull up bar or dip bar etc particularly when it coincides with heavy squatting & pulling.

Admittedly Ive only had this thing a couple days but feels great. Ill super set it with chair and bed if it makes you happy.

Week 1 - Day 3

A) Squat
    60kg (2x5)
    100kg x3
    140kg x1
    *belt/SBDs*
    170kg (3x5)

B) Deadlift
    60kg (2x10)
    100kg x5
    140kg x1
    160kg x1
    *belt*
    180kg x1
    195kg x2

C) Bench - Feet Up
    Bar (2x20)
    40kg x12
    60kg x10
    80kg (3x15)

D) Seated DB Powerclean
    10s (4x12)

E) Lat Pulldown
    (x15,12,10,8)

F1) Tricep Pressdown (3x20)
    F2) EZ Curl (3x20)

I hate training early, so I'm going to try to train early whenever possible going forwards because I always end up in the first flight of whatever comps I do so may as well make more of an effort to get over the psychological block I have about squatting in the AM and get morning strong (TM)

Adductors are crushed from the last two sessions but the squatting was crisp and easy. I've also changed my set up to a power rack that faces out into the gym to get used to the distractions Ill face on meet comp day. Deads were easy, as was the pressing. Im going to be doing minimal comp style benching this month because I want to avoid pushing lumbar extension while Im building a base for the squat and deadlift. Seated DB power cleans because I havent done them in years and they f*cking rock.

Ive also ditched my adipowers for the adidas power lifts. I may finally be seeing some light at the end of the quad injury tunnel so I'm going to lift in something that has less of a heal. Also scrapped my orthotics. I think years of heavy loading has warped them into something that adds to the problem instead of helping alleviate it.

Quite looking forward to this block of training now. If all gows to plan I'll squat 210x5 in sleeves and pull 230+ for a double before moving into the next phase in 3 weeks.

Training in Flyefit with JOE and VIS VIRES....

Week 4 Day 4

A) Squat
    60kg (2x8)
    100kg x5
    *30XO Tempo*
    140kg (8x3)

B) Bench
    60kg (2x20)
    80kg x15
    100kg (4x10)

C) Snatch Grip Deadlift
    60kg x8
    100kg x8
    120kg x8
    140kg x8
    160kg x8

D) Chest Supported Row
    (5x8)

E) Lat Pulldown
    (4x10)

F) Reverse Fly
    (4x12)

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Does Vis compete? I remember when he had a log he was deadlifting 300kg

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Does Vis compete? I remember when he had a log he was deadlifting 300kg

He damaged his knee quite severely the same day I blew my back out a few years ago - I remember he checked in on facebook in Tallaght hospital just before I checked in in St James and I thought 'what are the f*cking chances of that!'

Anyway after a good bit of time in the wilderness he looks set to make a return for the platform next week for GPC full power nationals and is looking strong as hell. He was obviously inspired by my return to action last week... he always did say I'm his hero and all that :D

11156306_10153155911989641_576823947077736223_n.jpg?oh=8edd856cbf14e060250bc61eb3a39ba4&oe=55A0DD65

What's that you ask? Oh its just 280kg of calibrated Leoko plates and another Texas power bar •[~~~]• Damn near broke the chassis of the car getting it home but even if it had it'd still be more than worth it. Why? Because no more:

● the gym has run out of plates

● these plates are too big/small to deadlift with

● these don't feel the same as they do in competition

● waiting for the good bars and the good plates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Image of plates

What's that you ask? Oh its just 280kg of calibrated Leoko plates and another Texas power bar •[~~~]• Damn near broke the chassis of the car getting it home but even if it had it'd still be more than worth it. Why? Because no more:

● the gym has run out of plates

● these plates are too big/small to deadlift with

● these don't feel the same as they do in competition

● waiting for the good bars and the good plates

Did you get them from Hercs? Looks a lot like theirs.

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Did you get them from Hercs? Looks a lot like theirs.

Nope... came across these completely by chance they were in someones spare room

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Nope... came across these completely by chance they were in someones spare room

How very Fritzel.

Hanley wrote: »
    How very Fritzel.

My basement has Ivanko plates.... she never would have wanted to leave

Today - Week 2 Day 1
    A) Squat
    60kg (2x5)
    100kg x5
    *belt/SBDs*
    142.5kg (5x8)

B) Deadlift
    60kg x5
    100kg x3
    140kg x1
    *belt*
    170kg (8x3) 60s recovery

C )Seated OHP
    20kg x10
    40kg x10
    60kg x10
    72.5kg x10

D) Hamstring Curl
    (4x10)

E1) Neutral Grip Pulldown (4x12)
    E2) Band Pull Apart (4x15)

Week 2 Day 2

A) SSB
    65kg x5
    85kg x3
    105kg x2
    125kg x1
    *belt/SBD*
    145kg x10
    145kg x10

B) Block Pull
    60kg x5
    100kg x5
    140kg x3
    *belt*
    180kg x1
    200kg x5
    200kg x5

C) SSB Split Squat
    (3x8/8)

D) Neutral Grip Lat Pulldown
    (x15,12,10,8)

E) KB Side Bends
    (3x25/25)

Week 2 - Day 3

Squat
    60kg (2x5)
    100kg x3
    140kg x1
    *Belt/SBDs*
    182.5kg x5
    182.5kg x5
    182.5kg x5

Deadlift
    60kg x5
    100kg x5
    140kg x3
    *belt*
    180kg x1
    210kg x2

Bench Press - Feet Up
    40kg x12
    60kg x12
    80kg x12
    100kg x12
    100kg x12
    100kg x12 (Paused)

Lat Pulldown
    (5x8)

Seated DB Power Clean
    (4x10)

Hammer Curls
    (4x12)

KB Side Bends
    (4x20/20)

Solid session. Had been feeling a bit beat up going into it but smoked the squats facing out into the gym and starting to finally develop some confidence in my conventional deadlift again despite going dead stop which I hate and suck at! Feet up on the bench to save my lower back from lumbar extension and also just to focus on upper body drive and keeping a tight line.

Seminar tomorrow on the brain, pain and movement so training may have to wait until Sunday. Next up high bar tempo squats, snatch grip deads, comp bench and more accessory work. May have to hit up flyefit for it :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Week 2 - Day 3

Squat
    60kg (2x5)
    100kg x3
    140kg x1
    *Belt/SBDs*
    182.5kg x5
    182.5kg x5
    182.5kg x5

Deadlift
    60kg x5
    100kg x5
    140kg x3
    *belt*
    180kg x1
    210kg x2

Bench Press - Feet Up
    40kg x12
    60kg x12
    80kg x12
    100kg x12
    100kg x12
    100kg x12 (Paused)

Lat Pulldown
    (5x8)

Seated DB Power Clean
    (4x10)

Hammer Curls
    (4x12)

KB Side Bends
    (4x20/20)

Solid session. Had been feeling a bit beat up going into it but smoked the squats facing out into the gym and starting to finally develop some confidence in my conventional deadlift again despite going dead stop which I hate and suck at! Feet up on the bench to save my lower back from lumbar extension and also just to focus on upper body drive and keeping a tight line.

Seminar tomorrow on the brain, pain and movement so training may have to wait until Sunday. Next up high bar tempo squats, snatch grip deads, comp bench and more accessory work. May have to hit up flyefit for it :(

I'll be doing some accessory work in flyefit on Sunday around 12.

...make sure you're not there.

• Advertisement

Week 2 - Day 4

High Bar Squat @30X0
    60kg (2x5)
    100kg x3
    140kg x1
    *belt*
    150kg (8x3)

Snatch Grip Deadlift
    60kg x8
    100kg x8
    140kg x8
    170kg x8

Close Grip Bench
    60kg x8
    80kg x8
    105kg (5x8)

Reverse Hyper
    (3x20)

Reverse Grip Lat Pulldown
    (4x10)

Weighted Abs
    (3x25)

Could not for the life of me find a comfortable position squatting. Reset both SIJ's between that and deads and pulled smooth but setting up on the bench was uncomfortable hence the unweighted rev. hypers to loosen everything up with some flexion-extension patterns.

Really enjoying every session at the moment.

Honorable mention to VIS VIRES who came out of powerlifting exile to blast a 700kg total in his first comp back at GPC nationals yesterday. Gonna try coordinate training with him and JOE going into the Battle of the Boyne as much as possible now. Good times

Advertisement