Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't let the coward in your head, control the badass in your heart

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

A) Bench - Sunk/Paused/Heaved
    60kg (2x15)
    80kg x12
    100kg x6
    120kg x2
    140kg x1
    150kg (5x2)

B) Wide Grip Bench
    135kg (8x3)

C1) Lat Raise (2x25)
    C2) Reverse Fly (2x25)

Dan Green I am not.

A) Squat
    75kg (3x5)
    125kg (2x5)
    *belt/SBDs*
    175kg x2
    205kg x1
    *knee wraps*
    225kg x1
    240kg x1
    255kg x1

255kg - https://instagram.com/p/8i-DshHy2g/?taken-by=kieranhegarty2

B) Dedlift
    60kg x5
    100kg x5
    140kg x3
    180kg x1
    200kg x1
    *belt*
    220kg x1
    240kg x1

240kg - https://instagram.com/p/8jAxdcHy7i/?taken-by=kieranhegarty2

C) Reverse Hyper
    (2x25)

D) Seated Row
    (2x25)

Feelings on the squats and deads in the vids themselves.

Prep done, confidence high, PRs coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,602 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Whoa!

"Imma gonna rock out with my lockout"

Numbers at the comp gonna be tasty!

Whoa!

"Imma gonna rock out with my lockout"

Numbers at the comp gonna be tasty!

All thats left to do is choose a weight category

6 Days Out...

A) Bench
    60kg (2x10)
    80kg x8
    100kg x5
    120kg x3
    135kg x2
    145kg x2
    152.5kg (3x1)

B) Wide Grip
    140kg (3x3)

C) Deadlift
    60kg x5
    100kg x5
    140kg x3
    180kg (8x1)

Light squat @50-60% to do now on Monday/Tuesday then cruise on in to lift next Friday at WPU Worlds.

• Advertisement

A) Squat
    62.5kg x5
    102.5kg x5
    142.5kg (2x3)

B) Bench
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg (3x2)

C) Deadlift
    60kg x5
    100kg x3
    140kg (5x1)

....... Aaaaaaaaaaaaand we're done. Just have to weigh in Thursday under 100kg now (was 103.8kg on Saturday) then its all systems go for Friday lifting

Weighed in 98.3kg....

Now to carb up

Best of luck tomorrow. Enjoy the carbs 'n' PRs.

WPU World Championships - Kilmurray Lodge Oct 16 2015

So... had to cut weight to make a specific category for the first time in forever. Was 103.8 on the scales Sat before weigh ins and 98.3kg Thursday morning, cut carbs, didn't water load heavily and had everything under control with a day to spare so was able to eat a rather large steak night before weigh ins knowing I'd come in under. What I wasn't sure of however was how cutting would/might affect performace... but carbed up none the less. As I wasn't fully dehydrated I ate pretty soon after weigh ins... Friday looked like this

- 500mls lucozade/500mls water/dioralytle/banana
    - eggs/bacon/sausages/all the toast/orange juice
    - fresh pineapple//granola bar/banana/500mls lucozade
    - Turkey sandwich/packet crisps/oreos/water
    - beef burger/chips/water/multi vitamin
    - 2 bread rolls/ham/packet oreos/500mls water/lucozade/5g creatine
    - beef burger/chips/garlic bread/water
    - Lucozade/water/5g creatine/dioralyte/multivitamin

Went to bed about 11pm with clear urine and a tight belt but quite tired after the early start and long day coaching one of my clients who was lifting on the Thursday... woke up at 6.45am Friday morning knowing I was lifting in the first flight so had a light breakfast and a cup of coffee in the hotel room and went down to warm up at 8.30am to get some space for myself that'd mean the shortest possible walk to the platform in knee wraps.

Went through my usual warm up routine and felt a bit groggier then I would have liked, wasn't sure if it was nerves or if the cut (despite not being too severe) had robbed me of my aggression!

Had decided on walking out my squats in advance of the comp to take the monolift set up out of the equation. Warm ups went...

75kg (2x5)
    125kg x5
    *belt*
    165kg x2
    *sleeves*
    185kg x1
    205kg x1
    *knee wraps*
    225kg x1

Last warm up done at 9.55am ... flight began on time as scheduled. Had a couple guys from Boyneside Strength in Drogheda who had lifters down on all 4 days do my knee wraps etc for me, which was ****ing great. Flight 1 began at 10am as planned...

Attempt 1: 230kg - Good lift. Nerves settled, bar felt light on my back walking it out.
    Attempt 2: 245kg - Good lift. Felt better than the opener.
    Attempt 3: 260kg - Good lift. Exactly what I came for, f*cking delighted.

[Story about my third attempt: for first two squat attempts I got wrapped 2 people out, and the wraps were solid. For the third attempt one of the pre rolled wraps came undone and messed up the timing. Once the bar is loaded they have a 1min count down to get under the bar, as my name was called I was only beginning to get my second leg wrapped. Wrap was rushed, patella wan't covered, and had to rush out with about 15s to go. Got under the bar and knew instantly that something was wrong as it felt like it was tipping badly and the plates on one side hit the back of the monolift. Walked it back in and had to ask if they had misloaded the bar.. they hadn't, just was nowhere near centered. Head judge told me I was ok to get set up again thank god... I remember just thinking 'f*ck it, go time' as walked it back, took a breath and took it for a ride. I have a vid of the lift on facebook that cuts out before you can see just how delighted I was to get it!]

That much done I hung around to help a friend out with his knee wraps etc who was lifting in the second flight. If you have ever pre rolled a set of knee wraps three times you'll know what it does to your hands/arms... eventually got back to my room to relax for a bit and rehydrate/eat. The warm up room was so hot I was feeling drained by now. So... more coffee.

Bench kicked off a few hours later as they took a break after the fourth flight of squats for lunch - Had a light meal and came back to give myself plenty of time as my shoulder was in a bad way. Warm ups felt heavy and slow and the bench on the platform was nothing like anything I had trained on and the floor was slippy with peoples chalk etc. but no point complaining about things beyond your control.

Warm ups went
    60kg (2x10)
    80kg x8
    100kg x5
    120kg x2
    130kg x1

Attempt 1 - 140kg - Good lift
    Attempt 2 - 150kg - Good lift (equals comp PR)
    Attempt 3 - 155kg - No lift - Said hips popped up, I argued my ass was still down, maybe would have gotten it on another day. Ah well!

At this point my right hand/forearm and bicepstarted cramping up really bad, had never experienced anything like it! The whole damn appendagejust locked up like a claw so had to floor aload of liquids and hope it wouldn't affect my grip for deads. Also jacked up my mid back arching for that third bench, felt (and still feels today) like a rib needs to be popped back into place so bracing feels off. Went straight back to my hotel room after bench and a shower and got my girlfriend to kneel on my back to try to loosen it up but .... had more food andwent back up to warm up area to make sure had LOADS of time to warm up only to find that the 4th flight of bech was already halfway done. Did a short mobility warm up then me and the guys frommy flight started pulling.

Warm ups went:

75kg (2x5)
    125kg x5
    175kg (2x1)
    205kg x1
    *belt*
    220kg x1

Attempt 1: 230kg - Good lift
    Attempt 2: 240kg - Good lift - What I came for, delighted.
    Attempt 3: 250kg - No lift - just nothing in the tank. Ah well.

Video of the 260kg squat here...

https://www.facebook.com/kieran.hegarty/videos/10153619518169641/?pnref=story

Rest of the vids are on someone elses phone, will stick them up when I get them.

Anyway - came with a plan to total 650kg with 260/150/240 and did exactly that with two attempts to spare. Ended up taking third in a really competitive category (for once!) for my troubles so got a nice souvenir medal to take home which is always nice. Also did it at a lighter bodyweight then Battle of The Boyne a few months ago going +7.5kg on my squat and heaviest squat training or otherwise I've done in years done on 3rd attempt oon the platform as is howit should be, +5kg on bench and +5kg on deadlift from that comp. That's the end of competition season anyway nothing on the radar now until end of March 2016 so looks like its time to have an off season. Having competed 3 times in 7 months after about 3 years in the wilderness I can honestly say that the break is needed, I'm sore, but not hurt and I'm now in line to get back to all time levels FINALLY :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Well done coh.

• Advertisement

Particularly impressive that the 3rd squat looked so drama-free considering all that went on in the build up to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Particularly impressive that the 3rd squat looked so drama-free considering all that went on in the build up to it!

Nice write up explaining how he prepared as well. Squat looked strong but knowing how he worked up to it and how things went on the day is real interesting for those of us that haven't done this before

You're never going to have ideal circumstances in competition, I think people who have never competed take strength for granted and assume that if you are strong you just turn up on the day and set PRs. When you aren't operating on your own time, with familiar equipment/surroundings and with the stress of everything happening around you it makes it a lot harder to showcase the fruits of your efforts. That's all to be expected and experience is king, that's the sport - but yeah the set up for that last squat was very far from 'optimal' so still chuffed to bits that it came good.

Nice write up explaining how he prepared as well. Squat looked strong but knowing how he worked up to it and how things went on the day is real interesting for those of us that haven't done this before

That's pretty much why I put it all up really, aside from being a reference point for myself going forwards hopefully someone out there reading this may at some stage pull down some usable info for themselves :)

Vid of second attempt (240kg) deadlift here....

https://instagram.com/p/88l6XHnyw1/?taken-by=kieranhegarty2

Deadlift will very much be the priority moving forwards. However, taking a break from the competition lifts for a while. Will be doing variations of them of course, just no low bar squatting, comp grip benching or pulling from the floor

A1) Leg Extension (3x20)
    A2) Band Pullapart (3x20)

B1) Hamstring Curl (3x15)
    B2) Tricep Pressdown (3x15)

C1) Lat Pulldown (3x10)
    C2) Lunge (3x10)

Moving, but not training. Few more days rest then back at it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Well done on the comp!

Sounds like a very slow moving comp if you had time for a lunch break between Squat/Bench and then went for a shower between Bench/Deads? Did you find that robbed you of momentum? How many competitors in total? How many flights/sessions? (i.e. was the long day due to having couple of hundred competitors?)

BossArky wrote: »
    Well done on the comp!

Sounds like a very slow moving comp if you had time for a lunch break between Squat/Bench and then went for a shower between Bench/Deads? Did you find that robbed you of momentum? How many competitors in total? How many flights/sessions? (i.e. was the long day due to having couple of hundred competitors?)

Thanks!

Pretty quick moving comp really - they used a timer to make sure everything ran to plan so lifters had 1 minute too be on the platform from when the judges called the bar to be loaded.

Close to 300 competitors over 4 days - On the day I lifted there were 4 flights total there were 11 in my flght and 15+ in the second so 30-40mins per flight. The 3rd and 4th flights were equipped (single and multiply) so that usually slows things down a bit. First day was 5 flights and lifting went on til 10.30pm ish

Most comps I've done have been long days, just prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Lots of food, caffeine on hand and most important thing I've learnt since I started is (A) Warm up early and warm up right and (B) keep off your feet when you aren't lifting. The biggest way to guaranteed be exhausted by the end of a comp has nothing to do with lifting and everything to do with walking/standing around all day.

6 months to the next one now - made a bet with the lads I'll be competing against that whoever doesn't total 700 is buying the pints after so nice target there to stay focused

A) SSB
    65kg (2x5)
    85kg x5
    105kg x5
    125kg (4x10)

B) Rear Foot Elevated Split Squat
    +5kg x10/10
    +10kg x10/10
    +15kg x10/10
    +20kg x10/10

C) 3 Inch Block Deadlift - Beltlesss
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg x5
    120kg x3
    140kg x1
    160kg (2x5)

D1) Standing Ab pulldown (4x15)
    D2) Band Pullapart (4x15)

Still sick, but even more sick of deloading so back at it today. Quite enjoyed that. No emotional attachment to the numbers on any exercise for the next month or two and just going to hammer weak points before transitioning back into regular training.

A) Seated Barbell Overhead Press
    20kg x10
    30kg x10
    40kg x10
    50kg x10
    60kg (x12,12,10,8)

B) Flat DB Press
    15s x10
    25s x10
    35s (3x12)

C) Neutral Grip Pulldown
    (x15,15,12,10)

D) Cable Lat Raise
    (2x20)

E) Palov Press
    (3x20)

Taking things very slow... left shoulder which was acting up for the month into the comp is still grumpy. Also, can hardly f*cking walk after yesterday... split squat hell oh how I had not missed you

A) Incline DB Press
    10s x10
    20s x10
    30s x10
    40s (4x10)

B) Close Grip Floor Press
    30kg x5
    50kg x5
    70kg x5
    90kg (2x10)

C) Barbell Row
    80kg (2x12)

D) Shrugs
    100kg (2x25)

Still taking it very easy, everything done under the prescribed percentages - away for a long weekend as of Friday will kick this all off in earnest next week.

• Advertisement

A) 3 Inch Block Pull
    60kg (3x5)
    100kg x3
    140kg x1
    *belt*
    180kg (3x8)

B) RDL
    60kg x5
    100kg x5
    140kg (2x8)

C) Front Squat
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg x8

D) KB Side Bends
    (2x25)

FML everything feels so heavy.... forgot how miserable the crash after a peak feels. Happy I know where the numbers should be starting off next week anyway so all roads lead to that... Germany on the beer in the mean time :)

Yesterday...

A) SSB
    65kg (2x5)
    85kg x5
    105kg x3
    125kg x1
    145kg (2x10)

B) Split Squat
    +10kg x8/8
    +20kg x8/8
    +30kg x8/8
    +40kg x8/8

C) 3 Inch Block Deadlift
    70kg (2x5)
    110kg x5
    150kg x5
    170kg (2x5)

D) Weighted Ab Pulldown
    (3x20)

Today - Programming f*cked on account of ongoing shoulder bullsh*t

A) DB Overhead Press
    10s x12
    15s x12
    20s x12
    25s x12
    30s (3x12) .... :(

B) Flat DB Press
    10s x10
    20s x10
    27.5s x10
    35s (2x20) .... :(

C) Neutral Grip Pulldown
    (4x10)

D) Lat Raise
    (2x25)

A) 3 Inch Block Deadlift
    60kg (2x5)
    80kg x5
    100kg x5
    120kg x3
    140kg x1
    160kg x1
    *belt/straps*
    180kg (3x10)

B) RDL
    60kg x5
    100kg x5
    140kg (2x12)

C) Front Squat
    40kg x5
    60kg x3
    80kg x1
    *belt/SBDs*
    100kg x12
    110kg x10
    120kg x8

C1) Kneeling Woodchopper (2x20)
    C2) Lying Leg Raise (2x20)

Late night last night coupled with sh*t nutrition meant I was holding down the contents of my rather acidic stomach for the duration of this workout. Glad to have gotten it done anyway. Will pull the trigger on some shoulder physio this coming week, looks like the majority of pressing movements are off the menu for the forseeable but I don't really mind too much.

Not training, not rehab... just moving

*4 ROUNDS*
    A1) Front Raise x8
    A2) Sorrano Press x8
    A3) Split Squat Hold x20s/20s

*4 ROUNDS*
    B1) Reverse Fly x8
    B2) Incline Push Up x8
    B3) Single Leg RDL x10/10

C) 30 Mins rolling around & stretching

Upper training tomorrow - forgot I bought a slingshot earlier this year so that'll do for the horizontal pressing (hopefully) while I get this shoulder sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Shoulder problems are poxy!!! Fingers crossed the injury doesn't hang about

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Shoulder problems are poxy!!! Fingers crossed the injury doesn't hang about

Be grand... physio booked for Thu

This AM - Pre Breakfast

A) Flat DB Press
    10s x10
    15s x10
    20s x10
    20s x10
    25s x10
    30s x10
    35s x10
    40s (3x20)

B) Slingshot Bench
    60kg x10
    80kg x10
    100kg (2x20)

C) Neutral Grip Pulldown
    (5x12)

D) Face Pulls
    (4x15)

E) Banded Trunk Rotation
    (3x30)

Bumped Thursdays physio up to today ....

Physio: What have you done?
    Me: Left shoulder is acting up
    Physio:OK Lets have a look
    Physio: *poking trap* Jesus Christ
    Physio: *poking scap* Oh for gods sake Kieran... what the...
    Me: What?
    Physio: Did you compete this weekend just gone or something?
    Me: No I competed about a month ago, haven't done much since at all
    Physio: Better leave it another month, that is a total mess

Moral of the story - shouldn't have deloaded after the comp (physio disagrees)

A) SSB
    65kg (2x8)
    85kg x5
    105kg x3
    125kg x1
    *belt/SBDs*
    145kg x12
    125kg x12
    105kg x12

B) Elevated Split Squat
    20kg x8/8
    30kg x8/8
    40kg x8/8
    50kg x12/12

C) 3 Inch Block Deadlift - Dead Stop
    70kg x5
    110kg x5
    150kg x5
    *belt/straps*
    190kg (3x5)

D1) Pendlay Row 70kg (3x10)
    D2) Weighted Sit Up 30kg (3x15)

A) Incline DB Press
    15s x12
    20s x12
    25s x12
    30s x12
    35s x12
    40s x12
    45s x12
    50s x12

B) Floor Press
    40kg x8
    60kg x8
    80kg x8
    100kg (3x8)

C) Lat Pulldown
    (x20,15,12,10 + dropset)

D1) Tricep Pressdown (2x25)
    D2) Facepull (2x25)

Done this AM before breakfast, just wanted to squeeze a session in before flying out to decimate myself with alcohol in Liverpool for the weekend. Shoulder still very troublesome, dumbbells much more comfortable than barbell and floor pressing was a nightmare.

• Advertisement

A) 3 Inch Block Deadlift
    60kg (2x5)
    100kg x5
    140kg x3
    160kg x1
    180kg x1
    *belt/straps*
    190kg x10 dead stop
    190kg x10 t&g
    190kg x10 t&g

B) RDL
    60kg x5
    100kg x5
    140kg (2x15)

C) Front Squat
    60kg x5
    80kg x3
    100kg x1
    *belt/SBD*
    120kg x8
    120kg x9
    120kg x7

D) Standind Ab Pulldown
    (100reps medium band)

Still very much feeling the effects of the weekend so delighted thats over with. Pelvis/SI felt off since the flight home so was unsure as to whether trainng today was a good idea but a handy upper day tomorrow then a couple days off to get everything back in alignment.

Advertisement