Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Table Top

Options
  • 28-05-2010 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place to ask, I've a solid oak refectory kitchen table and the top is pretty wrecked. The base is still perfect so I'm wondering if it's possible to have a new oak top made up. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might get it done (preferably in the Munster region)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

A local Joinery is your best bet to get one made up, it might even be possible for them to repair and re sand the existing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Could you turn the top over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Thanks for suggestions.
    Turning it over isn't an option because of the way it's assembled, there are holes in the underside.
    The top is too badly marked for resanding again - kids digging into it over the years so quite literally holes in it.
    I asked one local joinery recently if they could make one up for me and got a long winded "no"- something about the width of the planks vs the width of the table top?
    I'll try some others to see if anyone is willing to have a go, otherwise it's firewood for some good pieces of oak.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

Stick up a pic of the table top and we will try and help you...

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Thanks for suggestions.
    Turning it over isn't an option because of the way it's assembled, there are holes in the underside.
    The top is too badly marked for resanding again - kids digging into it over the years so quite literally holes in it.
    I asked one local joinery recently if they could make one up for me and got a long winded "no"- something about the width of the planks vs the width of the table top?
    I'll try some others to see if anyone is willing to have a go, otherwise it's firewood for some good pieces of oak.

Go to a better Joinery, your local ones response sounds like B.S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

galwayrush wrote: »
    Go to a better Joinery, your local ones response sounds like B.S.
    What a load of BS. A joiner turning down a simple job like that is lazyness. I too would take my spondoolys elsewhere

tiocimarla wrote: »
    What a load of BS. A joiner turning down a simple job like that is lazyness. I too would take my spondoolys elsewhere

It's a simple job we've done here many times. Laziness is an under statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

In todays economy why would any joinery firm come up complete BS like this? They wont be there in six months time in this current market if they are making BS up like this to new customers...

Advertisement