Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N7 Toll

• 29-05-2010 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

The new bit of the N8 opened today, motorway all the way to Cork, excellent!

However, the poor souls heading to Limerick apparentley have to pay the same toll... and run out of motorway a few minutes later?

Why not hold the Toll until the Limerick route is completed?

It seems the Celtic Tiger mentality is alive & kicking with full political approval. (Biffo opened the road)

Will we ever join the modern joined up, common sense, no longer a laughing stock world?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Fishtits wrote: »

However, the poor souls heading to Limerick apparentley have to pay the same toll... and run out of motorway a few minutes later?

It seems the Celtic Tiger mentality is alive & kicking with full political approval. (Biffo opened the road)

Will we ever join the modern joined up, common sense, no longer a laughing stock world?

I heard the booths were there to pay people to go to Limerick! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

It's the M8 now its a motorway. Half a billion spent and you class it a national route!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

No there was no toll for Limerick route.
    I drove yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

When the Toll is open the Limerick bound traffic can still avoid the Toll rather easily. Exit at Portlaoise for Mounthrath and rejoin at Borris in Ossory.

I imagine all the HGVs will use this route to avoid the Toll. The route, geographically, takes you in the wrong direction as it is.

Im sure the council will then make the route an 80 kph and the Gardai will fish day and night on it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

confuzed wrote: »
    No there was no toll for Limerick route.
    I drove yesterday
    Yes there was a toll for Limerick yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The toll in question is solely for the M7/M8 scheme that opened yesterday, NOT the rest of the road.

Hence the toll is being charged to all users. Only common sense problem here is with yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

No, it isn't common sense.

It's also disingenuous to have an M7 toll 10miles before it ends.

The M7 toll wouldn't exist or be viable if the rest of the untolled M7/M8 didn't exist, so there's no point trying to pretend they aren't connected and you're paying solely for the PPP part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tragedy wrote: »
    No, it isn't common sense.

It's also disingenuous to have an M7 toll 10miles before it ends.

The M7 toll wouldn't exist or be viable if the rest of the untolled M7/M8 didn't exist, so there's no point trying to pretend they aren't connected and you're paying solely for the PPP part.

How is it "trying to pretend" when you ARE only paying for the PPP part? You're the one trying to pretend you're not...

The first M8 toll existed on its own with no motorway either side for years. The M4 toll existed about ten miles before the end of scheme for years.

And due to the traffic in Mountrath and Abbeyleix, the toll scheme would be viable irrespective of the other roads around it.

When using the M7 leg you are using the scheme just as much as you are when using the M8 leg. Hence you pay. End of.

MYOB wrote: »
    How is it "trying to pretend" when you ARE only paying for the PPP part? You're the one trying to pretend you're not...
    Does the non PPP M7 before the toll lead directly on to the PPP road and the toll?
    Will the non PPP M7 start directly off the PPP part?

If the answer to either is yes, there's no point 'trying to pretend' they aren't connected.
    The first M8 toll existed on its own with no motorway either side for years.
    It had 14km of dual carriageway after it.
    The M4 toll existed about ten miles before the end of scheme for years.
    And I know absolutely no-one who paid for it for years, sure what was the point.
    And due to the traffic in Mountrath and Abbeyleix, the toll scheme would be viable irrespective of the other roads around it.
    Driving through mountrath at peak times every week, it's doubtful it would be viable if the toll was a diversion off the M7 - rather than being a continuation.
    When using the M7 leg you are using the scheme just as much as you are when using the M8 leg. Hence you pay. End of.
    Because PPP are ridiculously stupid with 10% of the motorway being paid 100% of the tolls, even though the publicly funded motorway pays to be linked up to the tolled section.

Plenty of people are complaining and upset about the M7 being tolled, it isn't just a few cheapskates.

Plenty of people are complaining and upset about the M7 being tolled, it isn't just a few cheapskates.

Im glad to have the option of using major interurban routes to get to my destinations much quicker.

I have the choice not to use them and depending on my route or my circumstances I can choose not to use them.

My employer will pay for my tolls most of the time as it is anyway.

BTW I am a cheapskate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The new motorway is a PPP. It contains the final link of the M8 to the M7, and also the first part of the M7 to Limerick from Portlaoise. The toll is for the use of this road, regardless of its length and whats completed either side of the toll bridge.

They couldn't open the road without the toll for Limerick traffic as both the Cork and Limerick traffic are on the same route. Do you want them to ask people where they are going and then charge if they say Cork, and let them go if they Limerick? The construction is a PPP. If you want to use it, then pay the toll. If you don't want to use it, stick to the existing route. Thats the beauty of the tolls in Ireland. You can drive around them.

I will agree that its a bit unfair to charge the Limerick boud traffic for another 15km or so of motorway. But what could they have done. Delayed the road opening until the Castletown-Nenagh section is open? Thats months away yet and it would make no sense to have a new road sitting there waiting for an adjacent section to be built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 angry_bob

Surely the better question would be, why are there no services on a 250k stretch of motorway. Only in Ireland ........

angry_bob wrote: »
    Surely the better question would be, why are there no services on a 250k stretch of motorway. Only in Ireland ........

They are in progress as per the NRA spokesman on Matt Cooper Friday Night. Basically there is no money to pay for them. :(

Berty wrote: »
    Im glad to have the option of using major interurban routes to get to my destinations much quicker.
    15km of M7 out of 200km doesn't a major interurban make.
    I have the choice not to use them and depending on my route or my circumstances I can choose not to use them.
    Yes but unfortunately, the old route has been changed and the speed limit will be lowered because of the PPP part. It already takes longer to get from Portlaoise bypass to Borris in Ossory because of the M7 PPP, so people who will never use the toll are already being inconvenienced by it.
    My employer will pay for my tolls most of the time as it is anyway.
    You got a job? I thought you were still unemployed like the rest of us :pac:

@Roosterman: As far as I know, the way the toll works is they're given a fixed length contract to operate it - no?
    If that's the case, why couldn't they have delayed the start of the contract and left the barriers up until the next section of the M7 was open.

15km of M7 out of 200km doesn't a major interurban make.

No it does not but Im reffering to the potential of the route when it is open fuly.
    Yes but unfortunately, the old route has been changed and the speed limit will be lowered because of the PPP part. It already takes longer to get from Portlaoise bypass to Borris in Ossory because of the M7 PPP, so people who will never use the toll are already being inconvenienced by it.

With the extra roundabouts and slower moving traffic a person will not save the €1.80 fee to pass through it by avoiding it. At the moment everybody should avoid the Toll coming from Limerick. It's not economically viable to hand over a toll for a road which is not open.

I wouldn't pay SKY TV the monthly fee the day I sign up if they weren't going to connect me for another 30 days and in this case its going to be months of a delay.
    You got a job? I thought you were still unemployed like the rest of us :pac:

I decided that I should really get off my lazy arse and get back to work. Why not, why with all the jobs out there on offer its easy. :rolleyes:

Advertisement