Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've got a bazillion questions (may be an exaggeration)

• 29-05-2010 1:05am

Righty dokey matey blokeys, I've been thinking of a few different things in my head and just thought I'd fire them all into a thread and hope for the best.

Sorry if I'm a little all over the place, but I'm trying to remember everything as I type. So... I was wondering...

1. I've come across a few different situations when I thought a photograph could look better if taken from an extremely low angle. In other words, either on my back on the ground looking up, or on my stomache looking forward.

However, despite this position having popped into my head a few different times, I think I've only found myself lying down on the ground once.

Just wondering what you guys make of it? Does it cross your mind often? If you're in a situation where you think you'd be better off lying on the ground, would you do it and get it over with? Would you just hold the camera down low in burst mode and hope for the best (this is what I tend to do).

2. I have an Olympus E-420 and a Canon 20D. What do I need to look for on them to find out if they're capable of using a flashgun wirelessly?

3. Similarly, the same question applied wireless shutter releases? Would like to have one but reckon the Olympus, being entry level, wouldn't be made capable of such stuff and so don't want to buy some useless crap on eBay.

4. I have a zoom lens for the Olympus (40mm-150mm) with 58mm threading... I've heard (but never seen/used) of filters that can increase the zoom/reach on lenses. Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here? I've heard that they are made in x1.4 and x2.0 etc. but if you go above 1.4 your photos get 'warped' at the sides?

I bought some 'close up' filters on ebay a while ago. Assumed they were what I described above, but instead they're supposed to allow you to focus closer (more "macrobility", if you will). Not that it matters, they don't do anything anyway.

5. Are there any good online stores for Compact Flash cards at quality prices? Argos have a 4GB for €30. Seems like a good price, but Argos are notorious overchargers so I thought I'd ask here before buying.

6. I need my Canon 20D's sensor cleaned. It's absolutely wrecking my head. I assume that the camera shops in Dublin often mentioned on here (Gunnes/Conns, I believe?) would offer such a service? If so, any idea how much this would cost or how long it takes? (I tried it already myself, and whilst I removed some dirt, there's still some stubborn stuff wrecking my head!)

7. I've read that I can connect my DSLR to a Laptop, and when I take a picture, the image is stored on the laptop's HDD and I can see the Image I've just taken. I believe it was one of them Scott Kelby books I read it in. Anyway, is this a universal thing or would it be restricted to higher end cameras? (don't have the manuals/cameras with me at the moment).

Similar to above, when I connect my E-420 to my laptop, all is well in the world. However, for some reason, my Canon 20D won't get recognised by either my desktop or laptop. I've tried downloading/installing drivers, to no avail. Any ideas here? I have a CF Card reader which I use instead, but if I'm able to get the above instant preview of the image on a laptop, then I'd quite like to be able to do that...

Edit

9. Bit of an odd ball question here, but, to anyone who's on Facebook, if you take a photo, PP the life out of it, and then log into facebok to upload it, in the thumbnails of the images (where you select what you want to upload) do you always see the pre-PP'ed version of the image? Even though I've PPed an image, and even deleted the original, Facebook always shows the original file as a thumbnail... This is hardly just me?

I think that's all I have at the moment :p

I know some of the questions are probably a little obvious but when you're trying to figure stuff out for the first time...

Cheers in advance to anyone able to help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

5. i've only ever bought memory cards from mymemory - they deliver super-quick and i've never had any issues with them. :)

here's a 4GB compact flash card for £16.99.

oh... and 1. .....i'm not really sure what you mean - is it lazyness that's stopping you? or looking like a numpty in front of anyone who may be watching? :p pants to both i say.. if you need to lie down on the ground to get the shot just do it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

1. I've come across a few different situations when I thought a photograph could look better if taken from an extremely low angle. In other words, either on my back on the ground looking up, or on my stomache looking forward.

However, despite this position having popped into my head a few different times, I think I've only found myself lying down on the ground once.

Just wondering what you guys make of it? Does it cross your mind often? If you're in a situation where you think you'd be better off lying on the ground, would you do it and get it over with? Would you just hold the camera down low in burst mode and hope for the best (this is what I tend to do).

It might, it might not. I can't remember the last time I took a photograph from this angle, I can't imagine a photograph would benefit greatly from being taken in a prone position instead of a kneeling or crouched position.

2. I have an Olympus E-420 and a Canon 20D. What do I need to look for on them to find out if they're capable of using a flashgun wirelessly?

I don't think either of them have built-in wireless control for strobes, although both should work with hotshoe-mounted wireless strobe controls.

3. Similarly, the same question applied wireless shutter releases? Would like to have one but reckon the Olympus, being entry level, wouldn't be made capable of such stuff and so don't want to buy some useless crap on eBay.

Wireless shutter releases can vary from camera to camera, but if it specifically says it works with your model of camera it's fairly safe to assume it will work fine.

4. I have a zoom lens for the Olympus (40mm-150mm) with 58mm threading... I've heard (but never seen/used) of filters that can increase the zoom/reach on lenses. Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here? I've heard that they are made in x1.4 and x2.0 etc. but if you go above 1.4 your photos get 'warped' at the sides?

I bought some 'close up' filters on ebay a while ago. Assumed they were what I described above, but instead they're supposed to allow you to focus closer (more "macrobility", if you will). Not that it matters, they don't do anything anyway.

The "filters" you're describing aren't filters in the sense that they mount on the front of your lens, they're called teleconverters and they mount between the lens and your camera body. Close-up filters are meant to reduce the minimum focusing distance of your lens, they don't change the effective focal length.

5. Are there any good online stores for Compact Flash cards at quality prices? Argos have a 4GB for €30. Seems like a good price, but Argos are notorious overchargers so I thought I'd ask here before buying.

Amazon sell a much nicer 4Gb CF card for considerably less money, and if you spend over £25 delivery to Ireland is free.

6. I need my Canon 20D's sensor cleaned. It's absolutely wrecking my head. I assume that the camera shops in Dublin often mentioned on here (Gunnes/Conns, I believe?) would offer such a service? If so, any idea how much this would cost or how long it takes? (I tried it already myself, and whilst I removed some dirt, there's still some stubborn stuff wrecking my head!)

No idea. Never done it. I can't imagine it would cost very much or take very long to do, a day at most.

7. I've read that I can connect my DSLR to a Laptop, and when I take a picture, the image is stored on the laptop's HDD and I can see the Image I've just taken. I believe it was one of them Scott Kelby books I read it in. Anyway, is this a universal thing or would it be restricted to higher end cameras? (don't have the manuals/cameras with me at the moment).

It's called tethered shooting and you'd need Canon's EOS Utility or similar software; I'm fairly sure it works with all Canon DSLRs.

Similar to above, when I connect my E-420 to my laptop, all is well in the world. However, for some reason, my Canon 20D won't get recognised by either my desktop or laptop. I've tried downloading/installing drivers, to no avail. Any ideas here? I have a CF Card reader which I use instead, but if I'm able to get the above instant preview of the image on a laptop, then I'd quite like to be able to do that...

No idea. Too many variables and not enough information to make a diagnosis.

9. Bit of an odd ball question here, but, to anyone who's on Facebook, if you take a photo, PP the life out of it, and then log into facebok to upload it, in the thumbnails of the images (where you select what you want to upload) do you always see the pre-PP'ed version of the image? Even though I've PPed an image, and even deleted the original, Facebook always shows the original file as a thumbnail... This is hardly just me?

Are you uploading JPEGs? It's possible they're generating their thumbnails from embedded JPEGs that haven't been updated in other files, but I don't think JPEGs would typically save with a different embedded JPEG. What software are you using to save the images?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

charybdis wrote: »
    Are you uploading JPEGs? It's possible they're generating their thumbnails from embedded JPEGs that haven't been updated in other files, but I don't think JPEGs would typically save with a different embedded JPEG. What software are you using to save the images?

yeah your right, jpegs do not hold any data from previous edits, your clearly uploading previous versions, check where they are saving, its impossible utterly and totally for a jpeg to be uploaded if photoshopped, in its original edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Righty dokey matey blokeys, I've been thinking of a few different things in my head and just thought I'd fire them all into a thread and hope for the best.

Sorry if I'm a little all over the place, but I'm trying to remember everything as I type. So... I was wondering...

I thought we covered this in a previous thread? Concerning the Oly, it will control your Metz wirelessly you just need to enable it in the camera's and flash's menus, for the Canon you'll need to buy some radio triggers.

The Olympus might be entry level as a DSLR but it is a DSLR and all that is built in, you'll need to buy an IR remote shutter thingy and enable IR on the camera, the receiver will be on the front of the camera.

What you are referring to is a teleconverter, really they are for faster lenses than yours, if you want more reach think of the Oly 70-300 instead, it won't cost much more and will be much better.

It's more to do with software on your laptop than the camera, Olympus Studio should let you do this I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

www.memoryc.ie

for CF cards

http://www.memoryc.ie/products/type/Flash_Memory_Cards/CF_CompactFlash/index.html

4GB Kingston CompactFlash Memory Card

€ 13.73

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

This guy does a free programme for tethering which is quite good. Browse the site to see if your cameras are compatible. I think that he has most makes/models included now.

http://www.diyphotobits.com/2010/03/05/diyphotobits-com-camera-control-5-2-the-hand-foot-and-mouth-release/

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PabD

I use these cards all the time, well priced and never had a problem with them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=+transcend+compact+flash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

#9. Rename the jpeg then upload to Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

10. Read the manual for your cameras as a lot of your questions will be answered within

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

http://www.shop4memory.com/
    Free Irish shipping and accept Laser cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

charybdis wrote: »
    Amazon sell a much nicer 4Gb CF card for considerably less money, and if you spend over £25 delivery to Ireland is free.

+1..I've a bunch of these myself and am very happy with them. Fast transfer speeds too.

Cheers guys for all the info/advice. It'll be a good kickstart for me for when I plan to jump into buying some new stuff, though of course I'll have to do a bit of ye olde research first.

To you guys, do these shutter releases seem OK for my E-420 and 20D?

Olympus E-420

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shutter-Release-Olympus-E420-E410-E510-E520-E400-RM-UC1-/320532089822?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item4aa1338bde

Canon 20D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shutter-Release-Canon-50D-40D-30D-20D-10D-RS-80N3-/320532080731?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item4aa133685b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

See comments interspersed

I like low angles myself.. and yes, I do squat down, lay down on the ground, and look for things like staircases, ramps, walls etc.. that can help me gat as low to the ground as I can.
    I also have a tripod with which I can get my camera nearly on the ground, and remotely trigger.

Check the owner's manuals. If you don't find it there, you might need to buy special flashguns. (as in a flashgun or adapter that sits atop the camera and signals remote flashes.)

I would think you'd have to check the owner's manuals for that as well.

What you're thinking of a are tele adapters. (there may be other terms for them too.) They go between your camera body and your lens. If they're cheap quality, they'll definitely cause some visual distortion. (even the good ones probably do, although you're hopefully less likely to see it.) They also generally add anywhere from 1/2 stop to 2 stops to your minimum aperture. Some will work with the auto-focus and auto-exposure systems on your cameras, and others will not. (I have a 1.5 and a 2.0 myself, as well as a macro tube)

These go on the front of the lens rather than between the lens and the camera. They are generally a single lens element, and they tend to add a lot more distortion, and fringing around the edges. Putting a cheap one of those in front of a really good lens.. not a great idea.

There are a lot of ways to do this. You can buy special SD and Compact Flash cards that allow you to mount the memory of the camera as a drive on your computer via WiFi. Some camera makers (Pentax being one of them) has software that comes with the camera that allows you to hook it up via USB and/or FireWire and shoot directly onto the computer as well. [some also allow you to adjust the camera settings like aperture, shutter etc.. from the computer.]) There are some third-party products for this as well.

That sounds like the USB port on your camera is broken. You might check in the menus to see what mode your camera is set to work in for the USB connection. Some will allow you to switch between a mode for attaching to your computer, or another mode that allows you to directly connect your camera to a printer via USB and print things out right off the camera.
    If it's set to PictBridge, that might keep the camera from being recognized but your computer.

That's a weird one. Doesn't happen to me. Perhaps your editing program is saving a thumbnail version of the image as it is originally?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

picasa keeps the original and applies processing on the fly (loading the processing history from a file or database), unless you explicitly tell it to save changes. i suspect this could be what's happening.

Advertisement