Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronnie effin Whelan

• 29-05-2010 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭

fed up listening to Ronnie Whelan on analysis. He offers zero insight, he has his own agenda as do most of our pundits. no matter how we play he will always get a dig in at trap's style.

I just don't get these guys who think we should try and beat teams by playing football. For a team like ours to be successful we need to make ourselves as hard to beat as possible and rely on what quality we have.

The way Whelan, Dunphy and Giles etc..... go on about the France performance (which was excellent) they think its as simple as playing like that every game. We try and beat a quality side at their own game every time we take to the pitch and we'll be on the other end of a few beatings. For a country with the resources we have it is that simple.

Trap has done a great job in my opinion. I'm not a huge fan of his style of football but ill take it if it means we get results.

I find it extremely hard to listen to Ronnie Whelan have a go at traps playing philosophy I really do. Its pretty staggering to be honest. For a bloke who couldn't manage a good sh*te for himself at Southend he sure knows alot about tactics now.

Tonight was laughable, we beat a decent albeit under strength side 3-0, and he is dying to get his digs in. No creativity?? what players have we got that are going to add this missing creativity?

This manager is going about things in the right way I feel. He has instilled an excellent team spirit, he is not attempting to blood too many players at one time, he is giving these new players good experience alongside our core first XI which is very important. I'm hugely enthusiastic about our prospects under trap.

As for trying to be more expansive and more attractive?? As I said, if we try to do that then maybe in 3/4 game outta 10 we'll impress. And as happens in football, the other times we'll get beat. Thats how it works when you have a limited base to choose from.

Stop peddling your sh*te Whelan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So we should listen to your 'sh*te' instead?

I don't mind if you want to criticise a commentator but you are just giving your own point of view here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think hes brillaint, knows wat hes talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Headshot wrote: »
    You say this everytime, and no one ever bites, does it not get boring?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Ronnie you should be in bed

eagle eye wrote: »
    So we should listen to your 'sh*te' instead?

I don't mind if you want to criticise a commentator but you are just giving your own point of view here.

I am supposed to give someone else point of view then?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    You say this everytime, and no one ever bites, does it not get boring?
    wats to bite about? I like him alot, he has a great fountain of knowledge when it comes to liverpool and its always great to hear his thoughts on the club. Theyre usually right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

wats to bite about? I like him alot, he has a great fountain of knowledge when it comes to liverpool and its always great to hear his thoughts on the club. Theyre usually right
    No, they're usually wrong. And can be proven as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Dunphy is far farrrrrr worse.

Fight the real enemy.

Ronnie strikes me as a fella who is a bit thick in all fairness.

terrific player but should not talk about the game as much.

• Advertisement

No, they're usually wrong. And can be proven as such.
    na there right but since the go against listeners opinon, there wrong, always the same. Ronnie is off to bed

Bodhisopha wrote: »

Fight the real enemy.

Dunphy is what he is, a wind up merchant who provides the occasional moment of entertainment.

Ronnie in an effort to make a name for himself is trying to take a page out of Giles and Dunphys book by being over critical. And for a fella who is a proven failure of a manager, its hard to believe he has such high standards as to how to get a team performing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Ronnie Whelan is second only to jose mourinho in terms of knowledge, sure he might not have succeeded as a manager but what does that matter eh? :D:D:D

Seriously, I think the guy carries a soapbox around with him just in case he gets a chance to voice a controversial opinion. Just ask Liverpool fans about his usual diatribes with regards Rafa Benitez.

Honestly speaking, I doubt very much if he knows how to teach a 7 year old how to pass the ball, let alone an adult professional team how to defend full stop.

na there right but since the go against listeners opinon, there wrong, always the same. Ronnie is off to bed
    If you think they're right it says quite a lot about how ill informed and clueless you are. Night Ronnie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bring back Liam Brady!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Ronnie is better at stand up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Ronnie in an effort to make a name for himself is trying to take a page out of Giles and Dunphys book by being over critical. And for a fella who is a proven failure of a manager, its hard to believe he has such high standards as to how to get a team performing well.

What do you want him to do? Ronnie doesn't accept anything less than 1st for Liverpool FC. He was part of the Liverpool team that won 6 Division 1 titles.

What do you want him to say? Liverpool are doing fine? Why would he do that when it's complete rubbish.

The reality is some Liverpool fans find it hard to accept that the once giant of English football is not what it used to be. And they find it hard to accept any criticism of the club.

Ronnie is better at stand up

Looks like a fat Jason Byrne. Funnier too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Osu wrote: »
    What do you want him to do? Ronnie doesn't accept anything less than 1st for Liverpool FC. He was part of the Liverpool team that won 6 Division 1 titles.

What do you want him to say? Liverpool are doing fine? Why would he do that when it's complete rubbish.

The reality is some Liverpool fans find it hard to accept that the once giant of English football is not what it used to be. And they find it hard to accept any criticism of the club.

they don't accept any criticism of them on here either, i got a caution for it:mad:

At best Ronnie is misguided, at worst, he has had very similar criticisms of Rafa and Liverpool every year for the past five years. As they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bodhisopha wrote: »

Fight the real enemy.

The only reason I watch rte coverage is for Dunphy and Giles, the coverage would be nothing without Dunphy, might not agree with a lot of what he says but its pure entertainment.

I dont see where I have mentioned liverpool at all mate. You have your wires crossed there.

I'm talking ireland.

And also if Liverpool are no longer the giant they used to be, then Ronnie should not preach such high standards for them.

But i am talking ireland.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    The only reason I watch rte coverage is for Dunphy and Giles, the coverage would be nothing without Dunphy, might not agree with a lot of what he says but its pure entertainment.

I used to get a kick out of Dunphy but his slate foreign team because he doesn't know a thing about them routine is old now. Himself and Giles should be made research the teams they are providing analysis on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I dont see where I have mentioned liverpool at all mate. You have your wires crossed there.

I'm talking ireland.

And also if Liverpool are no longer the giant they used to be, then Ronnie should not preach such high standards for them.

But i am talking ireland.

Newer Liverpool fans have mostly the biggest problem with Ronnie IMO.

Ronnie expects more the club he had so much success with.

But your right, you didn't mention Liverpool and I think I should leave it at that before we open a can of worms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Blah, blah. When he can't praise his former club on the occasions they reach CL finals or legitimately challenge for the title; and can't be positive when his former International team is finally moving in the right direction, it becomes crystal clear that what he is peddling does not have a basis in objective analysis.

It doesn't really matter to be honest as I think he is a long way down the list of pundits when it comes to influence on public opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

As an Irish Liverpool fan it's sad to see just how bitter and twisted Ronnie has become towards the club where he was a legend.

Sadly at this stage his vitriolic anti-Rafa stance his him so twisted against the club that if Rafa found the cure for cancer, Ronnie would find a way to spin it as a negative for Liverpool FC.

The opinion of the majority of Irish Liverpool fans at the moment seems to be that Ronnie needs to cop da funk on.{and that's being polite]

Sad as it is to say I'd imagine that most would agree with the tag "Great player, ****e manager, scum-sucking baboon fuvking pundit"

Tragic really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Considering the amount of ex Liverpool commentators and pundits about, who can be objective and talk sense from time to time, Ronnie does seem to attract a certain following, as seen on this thread.

He does seem to come in for loads of criticism from non Pool fans too, which tells me a lot!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

He's awful, and looks a bit thick imo.

Brady is the King

Newer Liverpool fans have mostly the biggest problem with Ronnie IMO.

Ronnie expects more the club he had so much success with.

But your right, you didn't mention Liverpool and I think I should leave it at that before we open a can of worms.

You are actually way wide of the mark here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Fantastic ex- Pro .

Modern day shoite talker .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Hannover 1988 he wrote himself into Irish footballing folklore. Every time he opens his mouth nowadays though he seems to be taking a sledgehammer to his cred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

He's a Pleb who has no clue, Giles is a bitter idiot, and Dunphy is a drunk who has become more like his Apres match character every year.

Brady was the only one I respected. Bill is great the way he winds them all up too and then just laughs in their face when they get things wrong.

I have stopped watching RTE's coverage of games because its no longer about the match they are watching. It has become a platform for those fools to voice their opinion on the state of Football today compared to their day. Their biased vindictive opinions on players and clubs are worthless drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Whelan = Plonker

He seems to be a very unhappy individual. Very dour and I'd have a guess that he harbours some deep dark thoughts.

Maybe has hasn't had some in a long long time?

He's definately sticks out like a sore thumb on the RTE panel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Sadly at this stage his vitriolic anti-Rafa stance his him so twisted against the club that if Rafa found the cure for cancer, Ronnie would find a way to spin it as a negative for Liverpool FC.

"Yeah, it's an acheivement Bill, but the malaise at Liverpool is deeper than a simple drug...while finding the cure for cancer he has taken his eye off the quality of players signed. I definitely think the Cancer research approach suits his style more than anything else. Also you have to question why he's gone for a cancer cure when the real disease at Liverpool is leprosy..he's not focusing on the obvious problem that everyone sees every week, Bill."

• Advertisement

A previous poster hit the nail on the head in relation to ronnies views on Rafa. While many would agree Rafa is not the man for liverpool, ronnie has been peddling his anti-rafa views long before Rafa drew more widespread criticism.

Now rather than say Ronnie is some kind of visionary who could see it coming before it happened, id go with the previous poster who put it absolutely perfectly when he said "even a broken clock is right twice a day".

But the original post was in reference to the Irish team. So enough of bitter liverpool fans talking about his hatred of liverpool and how that makes him a tosser.
    btw im a liverpool fan myself and don't agree with his views there either, but rather lets focus on his warped views of this current irish regime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

The guy never stops moaning, permanently has a bee in his bonnet. If ever there was a bitter, twisted little man.

I am supposed to give someone else point of view then?? :rolleyes:
    No, what I'm saying is that your post is just becaue you disagree with his opinions.

Its not a post giving good reasons why he shouldn't be the pundit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, Ronnie is a former pro who played the game at the highest level. Who the f.. are you? He has experience to back up his opinions.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    OP, Ronnie is a former pro who played the game at the highest level. Who the f.. are you? He has experience to back up his opinions.
    Remind us of his managerial career again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

nipplenuts wrote: »

but not the facts, which actually matter. a lot of the worlds top managers never played at the highest level and they seem to know what they are talking about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Remind me of the OP's. The point is spurious.

He is the guy who brought Nicosia to a European cup winner's cup quarter-final which is the furthest they have ever went in any European competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Ronnie is a good Pundit IMO, I think he's usually pretty accurate with his analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

The Muppet wrote: »
    Ronnie is a good Pundit IMO, I think he's usually pretty accurate with his analysis.

like when he claimed the Liverpool first eleven cost 250m pounds:confused:

The Muppet wrote: »
    LOL. amazingly transparent.

eagle eye wrote: »
    He is the guy who brought Nicosia to a European cup winner's cup quarter-final which is the furthest they have ever went in any European competition.

You know I can't find him listed as actually managing them other then various 'Led them to....' comments. Anyway, they beat FC Haka of Finland, Apollon Limassol FC of Cyprus and then lost 7-0 to Lazio. Not a great cup run by any stretch of the imagination.

but not the facts, which actually matter. a lot of the worlds top managers never played at the highest level and they seem to know what they are talking about...

Like Wenger, Mourinho and Benitez for example, with Benitez being one who called out another class a clown Jamie 'I played at the highest level' Redknapp for his waffle recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'll always listen to Ronnie Whelan when he's on. he's a bit of a pleb, but he's still a former top player, and a Liverpool and Ireland legend, and when he talks about the way any team is playing, be it Liverpool or anyone. he knows his way around a football pitch.

but that's not mine, or I hazard to guess, most Liverpool fans' problem with him.

he quite clearly has his own agenda in regards to our club. if you watch his punditry, he's quick to jump on our mistakes, and slow to give us credit. any time we win, and win well, he'll have an aside about Rafa. and this happens a very high percentage of the time. if we lose, it does be carnage in that RTE studio.

for someone who should know the club, he almost never acknowledges the background cr*p, and seems to truly believe that that should have no bearing on our performances on the pitch. and his incessant misquoting of the amount our squad costs irks fans too.

he's more than entitled to his opinion, but his unhappy face, convenient misinterpretation of facts, and general reluctance to give any sort of credit to Rafa and the team, is what gets him on the wrong side of fans; and the fact he's so active in doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

By the way, I assume everyone posting in this thread is aware that he was let go by Liverpool as a player before he wanted to leave? He wanted to play on for another season or so at least, and described the news that he was being released as a "shock" at the time.

I would wager that is a factor in his "analysis" of the club's current fortunes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement