Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronnie effin Whelan

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

eagle eye wrote: »
    He is the guy who brought Nicosia to a European cup winner's cup quarter-final which is the furthest they have ever went in any European competition.

It was Panionios btw

Ronnie Whelan is what Charlie Nicholas is to Celtic imo, two ***** that love the idea of fans talking about their opinions on their former clubs. Both are as negetive as possible for the reaction and as Neil Lennon put it
    I've been here 10 years and I've never seen Charlie Nicholas walk in through the door

I remember watching Nicholas do alot of backtracking in the Old Firm match that followed because Lennon called it spot on.

I reckon alot can be said about Whelan, dunno why he has this slant against the Irish setup though. He never had the balls or ability to apply for the job himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Dempsey wrote: »
    It was Panionios btw
    Thats right actually, with Nicosia he finished second in the League and got them their first ever win in Europe in the Uefa Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'll tell you what sickens my arse is Liverpool fans who constantly defend Benitez and dish a Liverpool great like Ronnie Whelan.

I don't mind him at all as a pundit, but it must be horrifying for him as a Liverpool fan and former great to see such a negative style of football being played there and no trophy in four years now.

Defend Benitez all you want but you can't defend the drab football that Liverpool play, they are the least entertaining side to watch of the top eight sides last season. They really are a team I tend to not watch anymore unless its the only game on. If they were winning trophies you could excuse the lack of entertainment but they are not. So imo Whelan has every right to be constantly unhappy about the way things are there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'll tell you what sickens my arse is Liverpool fans who constantly defend Benitez and dish a Liverpool great like Ronnie Whelan.

I don't mind him at all as a pundit, but it must be horrifying for him as a Liverpool fan and former great to see such a negative style of football being played there and no trophy in four years now.

Defend Benitez all you want but you can't defend the drab football that Liverpool play, they are the least entertaining side to watch of the top eight sides last season. They really are a team I tend to not watch anymore unless its the only game on. If they were winning trophies you could excuse the lack of entertainment but they are not. So imo Whelan has every right to be constantly unhappy about the way things are there.

for goodness sake this is not what p*sses me, and i hope most Liverpool fans, off about Whelan.

of course Benitez's football is frustrating to watch at times.

there is a lot more to it though, and it is plain for all to see that Whelan holds a grudge over the club, and it clouds nigh on every piece of punditry he offers.

it's as irritating as the most pro-Rafa 'fanboy' you can find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Not much love for the RTE boyos round here! :eek:

Would you honestly prefer to watch the footballing acumen of Alan Shearer, Terry Venebles or (heaven forbid) Ian Wright? (shudders) :eek:

I know which channel I'll be watching for analysis this summer. :cool:

Anyway, back to the original point re Ronnie Whelan and his analysis of the Irish team...... I think Ronnie is a decent pundit, but not quite good enough for the 'A' team. He made some very worthwhile points the other night- specifically Trap's refusal to try out more new players, not giving subs/rest of the squad enough experience, lack of creativity.

Trap has been an extremely lucky manager imo. Remember the win against Algeria was the first match we've won by more than 1 goal. It'll be the same old stuff from Ireland in the qualifiers, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Again, the point is that during the latter part of the 2008 / 9 season when Liverpool played some sumptuous football, Whelan didn't acknowledge the fact. There is nothing evenhanded about his positions on Ireland or Liverpool.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Again, the point is that during the latter part of the 2008 / 9 season when Liverpool played some sumptuous football, Whelan didn't acknowledge the fact. There is nothing evenhanded about his positions on Ireland or Liverpool.

Did you watch the analysis the other night?

What exactly is wrong with his analysis of Ireland?

Did you watch the analysis the other night?

What exactly is wrong with his analysis of Ireland?

He is critiscising the manager for not giving opportunities to new faces when a portion of the training camp was specially focused on younger uncapped players and a specific match behind closed doors was organised so that they could be looked at during 90 minutes. Not to mention the new caps given to the likes of Green and Cunningham over the course of the two games.

As for the style of football we are employing? Unbeaten in 12 competitive games and having produced a performance in the last competitive game better than that achieved by an Irish side for the best part of a decade. Under the current coaching staff, we are maximizing the talent at our disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

SlickRic wrote: »
    for goodness sake this is not what p*sses me, and i hope most Liverpool fans, off about Whelan.

of course Benitez's football is frustrating to watch at times.

there is a lot more to it though, and it is plain for all to see that Whelan holds a grudge over the club, and it clouds nigh on every piece of punditry he offers.

it's as irritating as the most pro-Rafa 'fanboy' you can find.

I find this a litttle contradictory, If the football is drab and frustrating to watch why does Whelan get slated by Liverpool fans for saying so, Should he not be honest in his punditry because he once played for the Club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

he's a united fan afaik...

Also he tells bare faced lies, that should be enough to write him off as a pundit, end of argument IMO...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The Muppet wrote: »
    I find this a litttle contradictory, If the football is drab and frustrating to watch why does Whelan get slated by Liverpool fans for saying so, Should he not be honest in his punditry because he once played for the Club?

you well know that i'm not contradicting a thing.

he doesn't get slated for saying we play drably; you're taking the post out of context.

i've already stated that i respect his views on football.

he doesn't give the team any credit when we're good; there's always an aside, or he just doesn't acknowledge it, or he disappears from the public eye completely. you can reference the 2008/09 season for evidence.

he slates Rafa, and the current team, at all costs, and at any juncture he can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Muppet wrote: »

Because while saying this he also comes out with blatant lies which completely discredit everything else he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I think the gist of it is this. Ronnie Whelan was a smashing footballer. Ronnie Whelan did not do so well as a manager. Ronnie Whelan does not not how to be objective as a pundit. End of.

He is critiscising the manager for not giving opportunities to new faces when a portion of the training camp was specially focused on younger uncapped players and a specific match behind closed doors was organised so that they could be looked at during 90 minutes. Not to mention the new caps given to the likes of Green and Cunningham over the course of the two games.

As for the style of football we are employing? Unbeaten in 12 competitive games and having produced a performance in the last competitive game better than that achieved by an Irish side for the best part of a decade. Under the current coaching staff, we are maximizing the talent at our disposal.

Ah come off it. Trap is very, very reluctant to change his starting 11. The result is twofold- very few new players being tried out when the opportunity arises. Secondly, a lot of our squad players aren't getting enough experience playing for Ireland, so when they might be called upon during a competitive match, they'll be thrown in at the deep end. I'm not saying Trap should change his entire team/squad for every friendly match, but he needs to look at all his options.

We desperately need to find a new LB (I said this a year ago when Kilbane was clearly found wanting against Bulgaria, twice). O'Dea & Ward should have been given some significant game time in friendlies last year. They haven't and we still have a problem at left-back. (Not having a go at KK as I know he's been a great servant to Ireland, just highlighting a problem position for us, and Trap's apparent lack of concern/unwillingness to address the problem.)

We also need to explore all our options in centre midfield. We need more creativity against the lesser teams especially. Is Andy Reid still available for us, or will Trap never forgive him for playing the banjo? :confused:

And, why the fcuk does Trap persist with McShane when we could have Foley, Finnan, or even Carr ahead of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

SlickRic wrote: »

he slates Rafa, and the current team, at all costs, and at any juncture he can.

I'm in agreement with him on that score, theres little praiseworthy about Rafa or the majority of his signings.

Has Ronnie ever slated Torres?

• Advertisement

Ah come off it. Trap is very, very reluctant to change his starting 11. The result is twofold- very few new players being tried out when the opportunity arises. Secondly, a lot of our squad players aren't getting enough experience playing for Ireland, so when they might be called upon during a competitive match, they'll be thrown in at the deep end. I'm not saying Trap should change his entire team/squad for every friendly match, but he needs to look at all his options.

We desperately need to find a new LB (I said this a year ago when Kilbane was clearly found wanting against Bulgaria, twice). O'Dea & Ward should have been given some significant game time in friendlies last year. They haven't and we still have a problem at left-back. (Not having a go at KK as I know he's been a great servant to Ireland, just highlighting a problem position for us, and Trap's apparent lack of concern/unwillingness to address the problem.)

We also need to explore all our options in centre midfield. We need more creativity against the lesser teams especially. Is Andy Reid still available for us, or will Trap never forgive him for playing the banjo? :confused:

And, why the fcuk does Trap persist with McShane when we could have Foley, Finnan, or even Carr ahead of him?

Eh, we started a new cap at left back against Algeria? :confused:

The central midfield thing has been done to death. The system, and players who fit the system, will be prioritised under the current set up. Green was started against Algeria and did very well, so I'd imagine he will be added with the trio of Andrews, Whelan, Gibson (all playing their part in the Premiership last season don't forget). Additionally, if Steven Reid can get himself fit and playing at WBA I'd imagine he will be back in the squad soon enough.

As for the last point, Foley had injury problems last season, and Finnan is officially retired as far as I am aware. McShane is in the squad at present, but not a member of the first 11. We are not blessed with depth at center half / right back. I would prefer if we were, but it just isn't the case.

I could see why you would like Whelan though. Facts aren't really your thing on the basis of the above couple of posts.

Eh, we started a new cap at left back against Algeria? :confused:

Read my above post again. I said that either Ward/O'Dea should have been tried out at LB 12 months ago. It's good that Cunningham got his first cap, but the fact that Trap is only looking at the LB position now tells its own story.
    The central midfield thing has been done to death. The system, and players who fit the system, will be prioritised under the current set up. Green was started against Algeria and did very well, so I'd imagine he will be added with the trio of Andrews, Whelan, Gibson (all playing their part in the Premiership last season don't forget). Additionally, if Steven Reid can get himself fit and playing at WBA I'd imagine he will be back in the squad soon enough.

With good reason. We need more creativity in the centre of midfield.

Agree that Green did very well in both games. Also agree that Andrews/Whelan/Gibson are decent Premiership players, but I'd like to see the likes of Fahey or McCarthy (yes, I know he was not available for these two games) being tried out in the centre alongside Whelan for one of these friendly games. We badly need to be more creative to win against the poorer sides in our qualifying group- we can't just bore them into submission!

As for the last point, Foley had injury problems last season, and Finnan is officially retired as far as I am aware. McShane is in the squad at present, but not a member of the first 11. We are not blessed with depth at center half / right back. I would prefer if we were, but it just isn't the case.

Thought Finnan said, a few months ago, he would make himself available if he called upon.

Trap seems to have a thing for McShane though? He brought on McShane in Paris when he also had Stephen Kelly on the bench that night? :confused:

I could see why you would like Whelan though. Facts aren't really your thing on the basis of the above couple of posts.

:rolleyes: No need for snide remarks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think the gist of it is this. Ronnie Whelan was a smashing footballer. Ronnie Whelan did not do so well as a manager. Ronnie Whelan does not not how to be objective as a pundit. End of.

Or knowledgable..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

nipplenuts wrote: »
    OP, Ronnie is a former pro who played the game at the highest level. Who the f.. are you? He has experience to back up his opinions.

You dont have to be a proffesional footballer to understand the game and make asserted comments about it.

Whelan being able to tell me what footballers eat before they play is just about the only experienced insight he can give me that I cant make myself.

The RTE punditry panel in general is poor, clumsy and poorly informed, with most of them still thinking football is played like its 1972.

Dread watching RTE football coverage and I'll take sky anyday of the week where atleast they have pundits and commentators who understand the modern game.

I'll never forget how John Giles just used to harpor on about Ronaldo being lazy and never tracking back.... youd think hed cop on that after two seaons of saying it, just maybe, maybe....it was under his managers instructions ( like every other viewer realises)

You just have to read their columns in papers, without watching the telly to know they are a bit on the wild side most of the time.

Sorry but just because he played at a "high" level doesnt make him right.

Football is about opinions and everyones different, and theres very few right ones.

Unfortunately thats lost on most viewers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Hold on a second here people, Ronnie Whelan is a Liverpool legend and ex captian at that. He has played almost 500 games for the club and won 6 League titles .

This is no digruntled ex player with an axe to grind (ala Giles against United who felt harshly treated by the club). His opinions are not the ramblings of some drunk in the corner who says he 'could of been somebody', he loves the club. So he is entitled to his opinions of the club he helped make great. Whilst I don't agree with them all, to suggest he has an agenda is beyond a joke, and he is not the only ex player to vent such opinions and concerns. People need to take a step back and see why he has these opinions and concerns for the club, instead of shooting the messenger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

TheDoc wrote: »
    You dont have to be a proffesional footballer to understand the game and make asserted comments about it.

Sorry but just because he played at a "high" level doesnt make him right.

Football is about opinions and everyones different, and theres very few right ones.

Unfortunately thats lost on most viewers

Maybe, but you can at least concede he is qualified to comment - more qualified than you (I presume) or I.

Football is not about opinions - you're confusing it with debating, a point which, to be honest, makes your observation re understanding the game somewhat amusing.

Now I don't watch Sky Sports so I can't directly comment on the quality of their pundits, but if the policy for broadcast is anything like the News team then they are aimed at the lowest brow, the Sun reader type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Hold on a second here people, Ronnie Whelan is a Liverpool legend and ex captian at that. He has played almost 500 games for the club and won 6 League titles .

This is no digruntled ex player with an axe to grind (ala Giles against United who felt harshly treated by the club). His opinions are not the ramblings of some drunk in the corner who says he 'could of been somebody', he loves the club. So he is entitled to his opinions of the club he helped make great. Whilst I don't agree with them all, to suggest he has an agenda is beyond a joke, and he is not the only ex player to vent such opinions and concerns. People need to take a step back and see why he has these opinions and concerns for the club, instead of shooting the messenger.
    nipplenuts wrote: »
    Maybe, but you can at least concede he is qualified to comment - more qualified than you (I presume) or I.

Football is not about opinions - you're confusing it with debating, a point which, to be honest, makes your observation re understanding the game somewhat amusing.

Now I don't watch Sky Sports so I can't directly comment on the quality of their pundits, but if the policy for broadcast is anything like the News team then they are aimed at the lowest brow, the Sun reader type.

The following article just about sums it up for me.
    A pundit, according to the Oxford Dictionary, is ‘an expert in a particular subject or field who is frequently called upon to give their opinion to the public’.
    Tune into La Liga coverage and watch Guillem Balague – there’s a pundit, right there. He knows his onions, he’s done his research - he even pronounces the players’ names right and can throw the odd witty comment into the mix. All in his second language, too.
    Then there’s Jamie Redknapp. Comparing the tight-kecked pretty boy to Balague is like comparing Fernando Torres and Victor Anichebe.
    They might do the same job but the gap in ability is easier to see than Alex Ferguson’s nose on a winter’s day.
    Redknapp, Harry’s son of course, has been sticking the boot in on the club he played hundreds of sideway passes for on a regular basis this last season.
    Fair enough, you might say, it was a disappointing campaign after all.
    No argument, but if you’re going to dish out stick - and get paid well for the privilege – you’ve got to get your facts right.
    Get them wrong and your arguments look thinner than one of Jamie’s ties. Angrily perched on the couch during Sky’s coverage of Liverpool’s league defeat at Old Trafford in March, Redknapp told the millions that Liverpool have missed Xabi Alonso.
    Nothing new there then, just the repeating of an over-stated viewpoint that has been doing the rounds all season.
    But he went on to say that the Reds would particularly miss him at Old Trafford – because he had been so influential the year before in the 4-1 routing of Slur Alex’s side.
    “Xabi Alonso was sensational spreading the ball to Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard that day,” he told viewers in a gaffe Garth Crooks would be proud of.
    Of course Alonso didn’t play that day due to injury.
    To use the clichéd commentary, Jamie is so fond of – it’s a schoolboy error. Maybe he should leave the Wii-playing to his old fella and the missus and do a bit of research once in a while?
    To close the case against Redknapp, we must look at his favourite word. Literally.
    Gems include: "He's LITERALLY left Ben Haim for dead there" and “Gerrard has been amazing. He’s literally covered every blade of grass on the pitch”
    And who can forget: “Alonso and Sissoko have been picked to literally sit in front of the back four.”
    Like ‘loyalty’, Jamie clearly doesn’t know the meaning of the word ‘literally’. There’s even a Facebook petition to have him taught its correct use.
    So for crimes against Liverpool Football Club and football punditry, we find Redknapp guilty. And for his punishment we propose a month of eating McDonalds three times a day.
    That way his arse wouldn’t fit into those spray on kecks, the women will turn off, and there’ll be even less of a point to him being on the couch at Sky.
    Various 'pundits', 'former professionals' talking out of their arse:

Advertisement