Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading my bios

• 29-05-2010 2:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

I wanna upgrade the Bios on my Acer Aspire 5315, and just want to know
    1) What's needed
    2) What can go wrong
    3) Is there a way to back up the Original Bios and restore in case the **** hits the fan

I'm updating it as there seems to be an overheating problem with the laptop that apparently a BIOS update can fix.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Not a Tweaking & Modding question, but anyway...

1) Lookie here and download the latest BIOS that doesn't have any known issues (probably the last - v1.43). You then decompress and use the Winflash utility in Vista (although the boot version is preferable certain manufacturers seem to think we're still using Windows 95 and can boot to DOS; as we're not you'd need to create a bootable DOS partition on a flash drive or something... :o)

2) If the BIOS is faulty, bugged or corrupted or you lose power (very hard to do with a plugged in and fully charged laptop thankfully) while in mid-flash you'll brick your laptop, in which case you're screwed if not for no.3

3) Lookie here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Sorry 3am and was exhausted, just posted here didn't care where so long as it was in a comp and tech forum. Thanks for the info I'll get right on it :)

Advertisement