Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eSATA RAID enclosure with 2 x 2TB hard drives.

Options
  • 29-05-2010 3:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi there,

Id really appriciate if someone could tell me if they can see any potential problems I could have this combination of an eSATA hard drive enclosure and two Western Digital 2T hard drives:
    1. 3.5IN ESATA USB HOT SWAP 2X SATA EXTERNAL RAID HDD ENCLOSURE UK
    2. HD Caviar G/2TB SATA II 64MB Cache

Im planning on setting up a simple RAID mirror so there is an exact copy of data on the two disks. I am just wondering will there be any problems with XP seeing 2Terbytes especially if its connected to the USB? Also I do plan on connecting this to a free SATA slot on my board and am wondering will the 64mb on board cache on the hard drives help or will it be useless because of bottlenecks else where. Also heat might be a concern!

Ive given a bit of though to this and I dont think theres any point in getting such big drives, storing lots of data on them if you not going to have them backed up! So this is the solution Im thinking of going with but before I take the plunge I thought Id see if someone could spot any problems and or maybe recommend another alternative!

Many thanks in advance.
    Cableguy

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I don't think that external SATA bay will make use of that 64mb cache. Only connected directly to a motherboard that supports it.

Other than that it should work fine. Just be sure to have it stored in a cool place. I've seen problems with these external bays in tight places ;)

Advertisement