Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on picking a puppy

Options
  • 29-05-2010 4:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and the family have decided we're going to get a new puppy:D

Were looking for a dog who when fully grown, is medium sized and preferably doesn't shed too much. A placid dog would be ideal

We have a loving home where someone will always be around to walk the dog and we have experience from our last dog who got to the gracious age of 15 before having to be put down

Could anyone recommend a pup that would possibly suit our home?

I'd appreciate any feedback/questions. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Horse_box wrote: »
    Hi all,

Were looking for a dog who when fully grown, is medium sized and preferably doesn't shed too much. A placid dog would be ideal

We have a loving home where someone will always be around to walk the dog and we have experience from our last dog who got to the gracious age of 15 before having to be put down

Medium sized, doesn't shed too much, great with a family, i'd say a Boxer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Aren't boxers often a bit hyper though?

I'd recommend a Springer Spaniel but they can be hyper too. They've usually really nice temperaments, good with children and I think they're really cute dogs. I find females to be more placid and if they get lots of exercise and attention then they might be placid . . . but might be hyper if not trained and/or given enough exercise.

By the way, what breed was your last dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If you go the rescue route (please do - there are so many wonderful dogs looking for homes around the country at the moment ;)), most rescues will assess dogs before they are homed so you will know what you are getting before you get it! Their aim is to find the most suitable home for the dog (and the most suitable dog for the home!) and sometimes the most unlikely dog is the best one :)

On breed recommendations - Springers (and most working breeds) and Boxers are good but both of them can be very active and get bored easily is not exercised or trained properly (I know this is true for most dogs but these are particularly high energy breeds). Staffies are brilliant with children, easily to train and generally couch potatoes. It really doesn't matter what breed you go for as long as you feel you know the breed and they are suited to what you want from a dog - and there are loads of mixed breed dogs that are fab too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 equinestudent

It's difficult to pick a breed to suit, every dog is different regardless of breed! For example we had two springers, from the same litter. One was a lovely quiet dog that was happy with an hour long run off the lead daily, the other just wouldn't calm down! Ever! A quick snooze in the car after our walks and she was hopping off the walls again! I've found with all our dogs that they all calm down and get a bit sensible after 3-4 years. You'd be very lucky to get a placid pup but if you're willing to put the time and effort into training and exercising it I reckon any dog you like would suit. A dog is what you make it! Well, to a certain extent.

This is probably cheeky but I do have some collie x lab pups looking for good homes (the ones that are left are short haired). I've posted in the rehoming thread. Also, they have been rescued (I posted here before about them). Mods feel free to snip this if its not allowed!

Whatever you decide, best of luck! There's nothing more exciting than getting a new member of the family! Especially if it has 4 legs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

I have a boxer and she is the most placid dog ever everybody comments about her...they are great with kids and once dey are walked and given abit of mental stimulation dey are fantastic..Two friends of mine just got 2 boxer pups and really der not hyper once der trained and walked and given attention...like all dogs i suppose:D

• Advertisement

If you want to get a rescue dog, then I'd say that greyhounds are very placid and lovely dogs. A bit big though maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Horse_box wrote: »
    Hi all,

would def remcommed a resuce dog ... even if you want a puppy, they have loads of dogs and puppies looking for a new homes...

To be honest if you def looking for a puppy, i cant see you getting a placid one...
    most are crazy (in a good way) until about 18 months :D

I have a black cocker spaniel... fab dog, great with people and children... :D
    he's 5 now and very placid..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

sassychick wrote: »
    I have a boxer and she is the most placid dog ever everybody comments about her...they are great with kids and once dey are walked and given abit of mental stimulation dey are fantastic..Two friends of mine just got 2 boxer pups and really der not hyper once der trained and walked and given attention...like all dogs i suppose:D

Would def go along with this, if a boxer is exercised well and given plenty of stimulation (Toys in brodi's case) then they will not be that hyper.
    They learn very quick, are great fun and would be fiercely loyal to you and your children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tv junkie

For non-shed I'd recommend a wheaten terrier. It's medium size but I can't comment on temperament simply 'cause I've never had one.

Boxers are very loyal, lovely dogs but yes, they're pretty high-energy. I'd say ask advice from a vet or go to the local pound and see which one you fall in love with that matches your requirements. Beagles are also lovely dogs and not too big or hairy.

Good luck with your puppy search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

We have a beagle absolutley a great dog around people,a bit of energy in him but nothing that a bit of obedience training could not sort.
    I would highly recommend them,small-medium,short coat and great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i would have to say a greyhound is the only way to go

I was just thinking, getting a dog is a huge commitment, for about 15 years of your life, and it's really important to get the right breed for your family. Do any of your friends have dogs you can visit, to get to know the breed? Or if you see someone walking one, stop and say hi and ask questions, most people love talking about their dogs anyway. Or if you think you might want a boxer or whatever, I'd visit the breeder and play with the parents of the puppies and see if you like the dogs, before commiting to buy.

Good luck :)

Advertisement