Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sky+ HD ready boxes & BBC HD, C4 HD etc...

Options
  • 29-05-2010 5:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

With the oncome of BBC HD, C4 HD channels etc.... onto the Sky EPG, these channels can be viewed on the new Sky+ HD ready boxes without paying the extra HD Pack charge.

So whats the deal with this with existing Sky customers that have the old plus boxes that are not HD ready, should we not be getting a free upgrade to a new plus HD ready box seeing as new customers that now sign up to Sky+ get these new HD ready boxes and can view the likes of BBC HD, C4 HD etc... ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Why would you be getting a free upgrade? If you have an SDTV, would you expect a free upgrade to a HDTV? It's an incentive for new customers. You probably got a different incentive not available to existing customers whenever you joined.

You also have to sign up to the HD monthly subscription package to get the HD box free as a new customer. It's not quite free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Kahless wrote: »
    Why would you be getting a free upgrade? If you have an SDTV, would you expect a free upgrade to a HDTV? It's an incentive for new customers. You probably got a different incentive not available to existing customers whenever you joined.

You also have to sign up to the HD monthly subscription package to get the HD box free as a new customer. It's not quite free.
    You don't need to sign up to the HD monthly subscription to get a HD box, all new Sky+ boxes that are being supplied to new customers are HD ready so you can view these channels as they do not come under the extra €15 month HD pack sub.

Also as these channels are to come on the Sky EPG and are also part of the "Bonus Pack" you get with a standard Sky sub ie. BBC's, C4, RTE's etc... then is it fair that a customer with an old Sky+ box pay the same sub each month as someone with a new type Sky+ box that is HD ready and they can view these HD channels as it's included in the same package as what you pay for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

They didn't give anyone who bought one of the first sky+ boxes a free upgrade when they brought out a new box with double the recording capacity.
    They didn't give anyone with an older sky+ box a free upgrade when they released another version of Sky+ with Sky Anytime service.
    Why would they give existing sky+ customers a free upgrade just because technology has improved since you got your box?

Maybe I should go round to DID and tell them the TV I bought a few years back won't do HD and I deserve a free upgrade...

Kensington wrote: »
    They didn't give anyone who bought one of the first sky+ boxes a free upgrade when they brought out a new box with double the recording capacity.
    They didn't give anyone with an older sky+ box a free upgrade when they released another version of Sky+ with Sky Anytime service.
    Why would they give existing sky+ customers a free upgrade just because technology has improved since you got your box?

Maybe I should go round to DID and tell them the TV I bought a few years back won't do HD and I deserve a free upgrade...
    The point being that if new sky plus customers now get the new box and can receive the new HD channels as part as the same monthly subscription fee that is paid by customers with a plus box with no HD then why is the fee the same as your not getting the same channels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

The answer is basically no. Sky has no obligation to upgrade your box for free. If C4HD, BBC HD etc. are Free to Air then current subscribers are not paying for them in their subscription so your argument doesn't work. New customers paid for their HD Boxes or availed of an offer to new customers with a free or discounted HD Box. You're an existing customer so this doesn't apply to you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dondwyer157

Yeah, I can't see Sky giving anyone anything that's actually free. What if I want to get a Sky HD box to replace my old Sky+ box, but I don't want the HD package? Do I have to pay full price for a Sky HD box?

Also, aren't Sky viewing cards specific to their boxes? You couldn't pick up a Sky HD box off ebay and stick in your existing viewing card? Which probably means you'd have to buy the box from Sky themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

now if your box was not working wouldn't you have to get a new one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Hi there,
    sky have since before christmas offering a free upgrade from the old Sky+ to sky+hd boxes, my mum upgraded hers last january free of charge, and her neighbour upgraded hers from standard sky+ to sky+hd last month i think the free upgrade offer ended at the end of may!

they are giving the boxes free at the moment to current subscribers and charging €60 installation, which is still a good price if you want free HD channels! considering the boxes could be €99 on top of the €60 by next month, but then they could be free again(i doubt it though since they gave existing customers over 6 months to upgrade for free)

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/ireland/products/equipment/skyplus

have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hi there,
    sky have since before christmas offering a free upgrade from the old Sky+ to sky+hd boxes, my mum upgraded hers last january free of charge, and her neighbour upgraded hers from standard sky+ to sky+hd last month i think the free upgrade offer ended at the end of may!

they are giving the boxes free at the moment to current subscribers and charging €60 installation, which is still a good price if you want free HD channels! considering the boxes could be €99 on top of the €60 by next month, but then they could be free again(i doubt it though since they gave existing customers over 6 months to upgrade for free)

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/ireland/products/equipment/skyplus

have a look!

Or you could dump Sky altogether and get a Freesat Box up north.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/

Sky is a total ripoff and 90% of it is repeats and rubbish anyway.

Sports is about the only thing it has over the Free to View channels.

Sky+ is crippled, i.e. you cancel your sub you cannot watch the recorded stuff, get a FreeSat PVR and you'll never have that problem.

I'm using Windows Media Center with 2 Sat cards and it beats the pants off the SkyHD box any day ! :)

My old plus box was playing up and this was why I asked the question I started this thread with.

I spoke to Sky twice about this and so much for being with them for 12 years, they wanted €259 from me for a new box and €49 install, so I said I was cancelling the account and the reply I got was "fair enough, I'll put you through to the cancelation department".

So I cancelled my account and got the wife to sign up a few days later. I got (the wife) a Sky+HD box, multiroom, new dish and all wired up for €49 and half price multiroom subscription for a year. Now why they wouldn't do me some sort of deal on a box or even say they would do a deal when I went to cancel is beyond me as they are now getting less money from me now rolleyes.gif, not that I complaining now :D

• Advertisement

hellboy99 wrote: »
    My old plus box was playing up and this was why I asked the question I started this thread with.

I spoke to Sky twice about this and so much for being with them for 12 years, they wanted €259 from me for a new box and €49 install, so I said I was cancelling the account and the reply I got was "fair enough, I'll put you through to the cancelation department".

So I cancelled my account and got the wife to sign up a few days later. I got (the wife) a Sky+HD box, multiroom, new dish and all wired up for €49 and half price multiroom subscription for a year. Now why they wouldn't do me some sort of deal on a box or even say they would do a deal when I went to cancel is beyond me as they are now getting less money from me now rolleyes.gif, not that I complaining now :D

typical Sky. They don't care about their existing customer base, they're always just trying to entice new people. If only we could get freeview, I'd cancel my Sky sub tomorrow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

typical Sky. They don't care about their existing customer base, they're always just trying to entice new people. If only we could get freeview, I'd cancel my Sky sub tomorrow.....

You have many options other than Sky depending on where you live. As an example, pull out the Sky card from your box and reboot it. Many people are surprised at what is available for free...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_Freesat

oh yeah, i forgot about freesat. I might check it out. Isn't Channel 4 and all of the channels that it own FTA now? Interesting that neither C4 HD nor E4 HD are on freesat.

oh yeah, i forgot about freesat. I might check it out. Isn't Channel 4 and all of the channels that it own FTA now? Interesting that neither C4 HD nor E4 HD are on freesat.

Channel 4 + E4 are on there, Channel 4 HD will eventually turn up ;)

ITV 1 HD is also on there :)

BBC HD is the best quality HD Channel around at the moment.

Advertisement