Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Food

Options
  • 29-05-2010 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Anybody got any tips on food for the LC?

I always get really nervous during exams so starting to worry about not being able to eat in the mornings or whatever, hardly ever ate breakfast during the mock but don't want to do this for the leaving! Anybody in same situation? Know what I can do?

Also I started to get really dopey in the afternoon exams and I have some important ones this time in the afternoons so anyone got any tips on how to stay awake?

Thanks if anyone can help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Well complex carbohydrates such as wholemeal bread or muesli for breakfast with some yoghurt and fruit.
    For lunch between exams again nice healthy carbohydrates with protein (important for staying alert until 5!)
    Also LOADS of water. Start building that up now so your body is used to drinking loads of water so you wont have to go to the loo every 5 minutes in the exam :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Mars bars and Redbull

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Porridge with a load of honey in the mornin really is the way to go. I agree plenty of water also.
    As for at lunch time, during the JC i enjoyed a foot long sub from subway everyday and I dont think it did me any harm!! Although that said I wouldn't recommend the meatball marinara, to this day I cn still remember the heartburn during cspe!!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Heard people mentioning berocca on here before, anyone have any luck with it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

It's no harm taking a vit supplement around now throughout the exams but berrocca wont give ya a boost - marketing ploy ;). The best thing would be a good b complex supplement.

Food: complex carbs for good energy - porridge/wholegrain rice and pasta etc. Try and stay away from quick fixes and too much sugar in the form of mars/chocolate etc. Sure you will get a boost - but you will be drained from it not too long as when your body sugar levels rise, they must fall and when they fall they will be even lower than before you took the mars bar.

Eggs are also great for brekkie around exams. Nuts/seeds (unsalted). Plenty of veggies: whatever takes your fancy.

Fruit makes a great snack.

If you must have some chocolate - the darker the better. Also good caffeine levels in dark chocolate which might help you be more alert if cramming. Its best not to rely on coffee too much.

Hydrate - tea/herbal teas/water water water

SLEEP. This is when your body recovers and is most important. Not only will you be fresher in the morning but you will remember more and be more productive.

try to fit in a little exercise even if its 15 - 20min. A walk/cycle ... whatever really. It's best to work in short productive bursts followed by a little break.

So: sleep, take a b complex, get in 'good' carbs like oats/wholegrains/ryvita/fruit/ veggies.

Get in good fats - dark chocolate/nuts and seeds/nut butters.

Good snacks: yogurt/cottage cheese/fruit etc.

Exercise.

Best of luck: i sure don't miss the LC days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

im loving berocca atm..keeping me going

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Porridge is amazing, I wish I'd discovered it for the LC. When I go to the library for my college exams I always have a massive bowl of porridge with raisings and maple syrup, it fills me up for hours. Honestly, have that before each of your exams and you'lll be able to focus on the paper and not your tummy rumbling.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Is it possible to drink a lot of water but not need to go to the toilet all the time?I find water great for making me alert but it often results in me needing to pee a lot. Not a problem when studying at home, but I don't want to be leaving exams during the LC to go pee!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

What you could do is drink alot and purposely try and not go the bathroom for like 2-3 mins the first time and add a minute every time, eventually you should be able to hold a fair bit, but it may end up you doing the toilet dance in your exam wrecking your concentration......

Why not just small sips often ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Is it possible to drink a lot of water but not need to go to the toilet all the time?I find water great for making me alert but it often results in me needing to pee a lot. Not a problem when studying at home, but I don't want to be leaving exams during the LC to go pee!!

V common problem! My solution is to start drinking lots of water now to get your body used to it, and take frequent sips rather than downing a large volume at once. Should sort u right out!
    Also, in addition to advice above re nutrition during exams, a few glucose sweets can be great for a boost during afternoon exams, but there's nothing more important than a good balanced breakfast and lunch to have u in fighting form!
    Best of luck to all exam students x

• Advertisement

Just bought some 'Amazonian Guarana' capsules from Boots which claim to be 'Nature's Energy Source'. I'll let you know how I get on... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

zam wrote: »
    Just bought some 'Amazonian Guarana' capsules from Boots which claim to be 'Nature's Energy Source'. I'll let you know how I get on... :P

I hope now this wouldn't be considered a performance enhancing substance!!lol:p:p:D

lc2010 wrote: »
    I hope now this wouldn't be considered a performance enhancing substance!!lol:p:p:D

Hahaha it sounds like it :P
    Well I took one earlier and now I'm full of beans! It's what they put in Berocca Boost, but it's in tablet form and cheaper.

Advertisement