Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing rear wheel question

• 29-05-2010 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies for the newb question, but I hit a really nasty pothole at speed with my rear wheel (managed to lift the front) and gave the rear a nasty buckle (up-down and left-right).

Took it to the LBS, who told me I needed a new rim, held onto the wheel for two weeks, before giving it back to me untouched, saying that his normal guy doesn't do rebuilds anymore. :(

So, for a Focus Cayo 2009 rear wheel (Shimano RS10?) can anyone suggest a suitable replacement rim, and where I might get it done? Or alternatively should I get a second opinion? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cheapest option in my experience is Mr Skeffington.

I'd get a second opinion, but from what I understand Shimano rims can be expensive to replace. A complete new wheel is €107.50 from CRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks. Will give Mr Skeff a holler. Would a new wheel still need some form of rebuild?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Replacing just rims on cheaper wheels is a waste of time. By the time you add spokes and labour, you are better off getting another cheap wheel.

CSS are selling Aksium .. pair for 125 euro.
    Wiggle to an M-wheel for around 70 euro.
    Parker international also do custom wheels starting very cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Would a new wheel still need some form of rebuild?

No, you just have to stick on the cassette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pair of rs-10
    are £109.99
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25888

wouldnt touch askiums everytime i ride with people i who have them i'm looking round every time they free wheel, god they make a lot of noise if you like nice quiet shimano freewheels stick with them

• Advertisement

My replacement set of RS10s were delivered. Thanks for the link ednwireland.
    In order to switch the cassette over, I need a cassette lockring remover, and a chainwhip, right? The process looks pretty straightforward if you have the right tools. It is worth investing in these tools, or should I get the LBS to do it?

Anyone know of any bike shops in the Park-west area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're going to be doing most of your own maintenance, then a cassette tool and a chainwhip are good investments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Anyone know of any bike shops in the Park-west area?

Wheelworx in the Fonthill Retail Park would be my preferance, or The Cycle Inn on the Long Mile Road.

Many thanks, will call into The Cycle Inn.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help. New wheel now firmly rooted on bike, without any problems (apart from dropping the cassette and having to re-assemble it!).

Advertisement