Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rival group set to oust Hearn??

• 29-05-2010 11:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

All of a sudden next weeks EGM which was all set to be the day when Barry Hearn and his new calendar would be voted in by the players has now seen a dramatic turn of events.
    John Davidson who was behind the huge Altium takeover consortium of the sport in 2002 has now tabled another takeover plan rival to Hearns.
    His bid includes 10 ranking events 6 tour events and 2 invitation events, with the prize fund of up to 5 million for all events.
    This to me seems a very lucrative offer as he has also pledged an extra 200K per season for the next five years.
    In return he wants to own commercial rights to the game with a 65% shareholding interest.
    He has offered a figure of £315K to be paid out as a dividend to the top 64 players which would give each player £5000.
    I remember back in 2002 when he tabled his previous bid, it wasn't excepted then mainly because of a huge smear campaign that was orchrastrated by the then governing body against him.
    Many players bought into this and rejected his proposal and still 8 years later ask anyone of them and they will tell you it was a huge mistake not voting him in.
    John Davidson is not someone trying to get into the game to
    make a quick name and money for himself he is a serious player in the business world and a man of vast wealth with the contacts to bring many new sponsors into the game.
    Hearn on the other hand has great experience in snooker, he knows most of the players on a personal level, he too has many contacts in the business world and is wealthy enough to prove he is not intrnting to run snooker as another earner for him,he has the television contacts in SKY, but in my view and most importantly he has an incredible track record in his business dealings, with the greatest example of all being the huge transformation the darts game has seen under his tenure.
    It's a hard one to call now, you have two men with genuine intentions to run the game properly, if I had a vote it would be for Hearn, he is only back involved since December last and has already brought in new sponsors, has developed a new and exciting calendar for next season and has given a huge lift to the sport within a time of a huge damaging tabloid scandal involving the world no 1.
    Hearn should be allowed continue his fantastic start but snooker players are fickle especially the top earners who don't really want to rock the boat much but from a huge follower of the game Hearn must be allowed to continue.
    The previous meeting in May saw an almost unanamous decision by the players to support him but now with this new rival deal announced his short tenure may be coming to an end.
    There was talk of the two parties working together but that proved short lived so it now comes down to next Wednesdays EGM and all important vote.
    It really is a make or break day for snooker.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont know, I dont like hearn. Many years in the boxing game, caught up in dodgy decisions in boxing. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if hearne had a hand in the J Higgins sting. This would help weaken the game & possibly make it easier to get the all important decision at the vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

mickdw wrote: »
    I dont know, I dont like hearn. Many years in the boxing game, caught up in dodgy decisions in boxing. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if hearne had a hand in the J Higgins sting. This would help weaken the game & possibly make it easier to get the all important decision at the vote

Dont you think Higgins would have said that if he was, considering his career is more or less over now? You may not have to like Hearn, but as far as Im concerned he's the only hope snooker has got

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Spoke this evening to one of the players who will attend Wednesdays EGM and by the looks of things Barry Hearn is under serious threat to be ousted by the Davidson bid.Support for the rival bid has increased so much in the last week that rumours are about that Hearn will just step down and walk away.
    I really hope he doesn't, he deserves at least a season to try and promote the game his way.

Advertisement