Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Il Postino Quotes Needed

Options
  • 29-05-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Does anyone here have any good quotes from Il Postino for the comparative English question? I got some from the IMBb but need more if possible. I've got six, but will not be able to get much out of them.

Thanks in advance.

200px-CucccinotaIlPostino.jpg

Comments

What ones have you got already? You don't need to have too many of them, a lot of reference can be to camera angles, mise en scene etc depending on what q you're answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

I did a vision a viewpoint essay the other day w/ no quotes what so ever and got B+/A- and I use Il Postino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 scherzo!

Look up the movie script.

Here's the easiest-to-find one:
    http://www.movietranscriptions.com/122369_Il_Postino_The_Postman.html

No character-colon structure, just the dialogue, but I think you should be able to figure out wihch guy is speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 scherzo!

I feel guilty about not giving specifics, ha.

The ones I think are the most useful are
    Mario: Why has it got such a complicated name?
    (in response to Neruda's explanation of metaphors. You could talk about how we understand Mario to be quite a dumb character from his behaviour and then quote that, and then go on to say "However, he earns our respect when he fulfils his ambitious undertakings and when he forges ahead in the name of personal improvement" and so on)

Mario: The whole world is a metaphor for something else? I'm talking crap.
    (possibly quote that after describing Mario as a 3-dimensional character who aspires to develop to his full potential. Add that even though he's not the most artistic in terms of poetry, it's his dedication and strength of character in an impoverished and politically-dominated society which counts)

Mario: I've fallen in love... No remedy! I want to stay sick.
    (quote that after describing Mario as a passionate person/interesting character/romantic. Make a point that Mario's rich love forms a stark contrast against the run-down, dilapidated Isle of Capri or something like that)

I can help you more if you need it, but those might help you to get started. Good luck. =D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I am tired of being a man

or something like that

• Advertisement

'Your smile spreads like a butterfly' [to Beatrice]

'I felt like a boat tossing on those words' [about Neruda's sea poem]

'When you left I thought you took all the beautiful things with you. Now I see that you left some for me' [making the sound poem thing]

I hope these are correct.

Advertisement