Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dealers with Non VRT'd Cars for Sale

• 29-05-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭

We have all seen them. Dealers with cars on their forecourts or outside their houses with UK Registration numbers on them.

I have even seen people test driving these cars, i.e driving a non VRT'd car on public roads weeks after the car being in the country.

Is there some type of exemption from those dealers paying VRT?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Yup, as long as the dealer is registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Plates365.com

exact same exception applies with brand new cars on dealer forecourts i.e. VRT is only paid when the new car is actually registered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

As the other two said, Dealers, once registered with a TAN number can do this no problems at all. Same rules apply to test driving brand new unregistered cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What about when I am driving it on a test drive? Main dealers have demo cars for this purpose which are VRT'd, taxed and Insured.

Other used dealers with UK imports have no tax because the VRT is not paid yet I am out driving it on a test drive on my own.

What happens if I hit a customs checkpoint on the test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Plates365.com

Garages have special garage plates to cover road tax. You need your own insurance. Re vrt, I would guess if you explained to customs you were test driving you would be fine.

• Advertisement

Re vrt, I would guess if you explained to customs you were test driving you would be fine.

Unless you live in Donegal. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Garages have special garage plates to cover road tax. You need your own insurance. Re vrt, I would guess if you explained to customs you were test driving you would be fine.

The trade plates will cover you for driving without tax/VRT, the garage insurance will cover you for the test-drive also. You don't need your own insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

-Chris- wrote: »
    the garage insurance will cover you for the test-drive also. You don't need your own insurance.

As long as there is a rep from the dealership in the car with you on the test drive, in most cases.

As long as there is a rep from the dealership in the car with you on the test drive, in most cases.

Only once have I ever had a Salesman in the car with me and that was driving a Passat which had no plates, no VRT, the PDI hadn't been done.

I even drove a 2010 525d without a Salesman. All he said was "Dont go too far".

BTW Guys, I saw a 520d yesterday which was a private car. I thought they wont be around till September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Chances are you were not insured to drive the cars then Berty.

MOst trade insurance policies now ask that a rep from the dealership accompany the customer on a test drive.

I'm sure there are different policies out there, but this seems to be common practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Berty wrote: »
    BTW Guys, I saw a 520d yesterday which was a private car. I thought they wont be around till September.

Do the UK have it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

I can see bertys point i was looking at these cars a few weeks ago and i was even offered it to buy without vrt. Theres no way i would as berty pointed out imagine being stopped up the road and the car taken... Divorce imminent:D.

Do the UK have it yet?

None on Autotrader.co.uk Only 530d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Do the UK have it yet?

I have seen them here and UK and Germany

Advertisement