Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Packet loss through Limerick Bras2

• 29-05-2010 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

It has improved slightly, probably due to the fact that UL term has ended for the summer, but this according to Eircom, this is what they call an acceptable performance for their network

picture.php?albumid=1207&pictureid=6378

This is a record of packet loss since I started monitoring it. It records packet loss from 10 pings sent to www.eircom.net every 10 minutes. I have been told that since there is no problem with my line or modem, that the service is fine.

The fact that I cannot remotely admin any servers from home (my job) on this service is irrelevant, forget gaming, or any voip service and that 'slow browsing is acceptable'.

It seems from what Ive been reading from the good people in IrelandOffline (Sign up now!) and many other sources that the future of Eircom is in serious doubt. Am I surprised? How could I be. Tech support is dealt with by Stream Global Services and even when dealing with them their hands are tied as they get the same fob offs as the customer.

Dont get me started on those Zyxel modems, I will be soon making a vid for youtube as what best to do with these modems, any contributions welcome.

Unfortunately for me my only alternative is ICE or build my own links out from Limerick. So I guess Id better start looking at what the latest wireless bells and whistles kit has to offer.

400 meters from the exchange and a decent enough service up until January, one would have been mistaken for thinking that I might get a pretty solid service, even though it was expensive!

Registered complaints with Comreg and Eamonn Ryans office, and I urge anyone experiencing this problem to do so. Also, join IrelandOffline. This affects most of Limerick, Clare, Tipp, North Cork, and Kerry from what I can see.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

I am on b-ras2.lmk.limerick.eircom.net (159.134.155.2) I assume that is the same one as you are on?

I have never suffered from any noticeable packet loss and also get my full 3Mb speeds (and by that I mean I get 300KB/s and more downloading from rapidshare etc.). I seem to be able to achieve those speeds day or night.

When you do a tracert where do the packets actually drop is it before or after bras2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

If I monitor the packet loss using MTRping it shows packet loss mainly before Bras, although it also shows packet loss albeit less frequent on the backhaul at peak times. This has been confirmed by both a boradband tech and a line tech in Eircom on a few occasions. In fact the Line tech said he was blue in the face from flagging this problem (Bras2 being over worked) to Eircom Engineering.

I'm on the 7Mb package and if you look here and on Eircoms own forums you will find many that are experiencing this. It is also possible that it may be the radio links from these exchanges that are simply not up to the traffic at peak times, I dont know, but the fact of the matter is that Eircom know there is a problem and still continue to charge customers for this.

Advertisement