Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Protein Allergy?

Options
  • 29-05-2010 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi guys,

My daughter has been suffering from rashes, runny nose and runny nappies since birth ( she's 12 months now and it has been getting gradually worse over the last few months ). The other night she had a crazy allergic reaction where a rash appeared all over her body and it was sore to touch. From reading on the internet it looks like she has a milk protein allergy rather than being lactose intolerant. Does anyone know what food can be used instead of the normal foods e.g. SMA, Aptamil etc? She also had he same reaction when we gave her a soya yogurt so she's obviously allergic to soy as well. Any suggestions would be great. Pulling our hair out at the moment beacause shes such a happy baby except for this.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Take her to the dr and get them to check her out and run allgery tests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

My son has cows milk and egg white allergy which was diagnosed when he was 1yr with a blood test. It is fairly significant (grade 3 on a level 6 test). He would vomit, have diarreoha and get a rash all over his body if he had any dairy. We put him on soya and thankfully he agreed with him. I would suggest bringing him to your doc and insist on tests (dont let them fob you off)...they did with me for months!!!!! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

my little lad has just had the test done.. all i had to do was bring a sample of poo to them once he'd had his appointment. they can check from this for intolerance and protien allergy, but i wouldn't wait get her checked as soon as possible!;)

Hi Vinnie70, how did you go with the allergy test?

My DS has just today been diagnosed with Excema (which I and doc thought was just common baby rash couple of weeks ago)...His nappies have been very runny for past 4 or 5 days also, these along with his crankiness past several weeks and his brothers significant cows milk/egg allergy has left me feeling he also has a dairy intolerance.

However, my doc still does not want me to change his formula????? :confused:WTF, she just says leave it for another while and see how he gets on...the bloody excema will get worse, he will get crankier and I will have a breakdown:mad:. I was fobbed off like this with my other son too...WHY??? She is going to refer me to pead doc but said it could take 6wks to get an appointment.

I asked for test to be done (stool sample) she says needs to be tested within 2hrs of passing the poo and only checks for lactose intolerance and is not very accurate. I know I will wait 6 weeks to see a doc and he will say the same thing to me....i.e. wait and see!!! I am sooooo frustrated.

New guidelines say soya formula not recommended for babies under 6mths. Doc and PHN support this so I rang Cow and Gate helpline, spoke with a lovely girl (nutritionist called Jennifer) who confirmed this (seemingly some kids can also have an intolerance to soya and also long term use of soya formula can cause further allergies in life)..I told her his symptoms and she said it sounded more like cows milk protein allergy rather than lactose intolerance - she told me Cow n Gate do a specific formula for this (Pepti 1 Infant Formula).

I went straight into town and bought one (twice the price as normal formula and can only be purchased in pharmacy):rolleyes:...havent used it yet - my head is all over the place - dont know what to do...help!!!

Anyone any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mummys Tummy

hi guys i think you should trust your instincts on this and you are prob right that your baby has dairy intolerance, i have heard nannys goats milk available to health food shops is great, also change the formula is you feel it is making things worse dont wait till symptoms get worse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LukeChadwick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

hi guys i think you should trust your instincts on this and you are prob right that your baby has dairy intolerance, i have heard nannys goats milk available to health food shops is great, also change the formula is you feel it is making things worse dont wait till symptoms get worse
    Its only for babies 12 months and over...

DS rash got really bad last week so I tried him with the Pepti 1 food....he wouldnt drink it...seemingly it is very common for babies to refuse the hydrolysed formulas..if after trying all of them they still wont feed then I think it ok to give them the soya formula (on doctors approval). Anyhow, I kept giving him his normal feed and he seems to be ok. His rash is nearly gone, friend of mine recommended an ointment called Epaderm 3 in 1. Her friend is a nurse in a Dublin hospital and they use it on babies/adults for excema and psoriosis. Very hard to buy in the chemists here but I got it on Ebay. Defo recommend it... http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=epaderm

Bringing him to see consultant anyhow, to get him checked for allergies.

Advertisement